Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Seagate Discwizard Isues and BartPE (Read 68815 times)
Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Seagate Discwizard Isues and BartPE
Apr 8th, 2013 at 10:32am

Today I had a problem running Seagate Discwizard from Windows which was done because BartPE can't see SATA drive connected to a PCI SATA card with SIL3114 chipset.  Discwizard was unable to verify image after  its creation, and it was unable to be deleted from WinXP.  On reboot Windows scanned and found unrecoverable errors on that FAT32 drive, and the image file showd only 16kb size.  Programs on that same FAT32 drive would no longer run, and I reformatted and reinstalled programs.

I've had similar problems running Ghost 2003 from Windows and much prefer to run Ghost and Discwizard from boot CD.  Does anybody know if there's a way to create a BartPE CD that will recognize drives connected to the PCI SATA card?  Note to use Discwizard from boot CD I had to do it via BartPE because the boot CD that Discwizard creates fails to boot on that PC.  If BartPE CD can't be made to recognize drives connected to the SATA card, I may have to revert to Ghost 2003 for imaging since it does recognize drives connected to the SATA card.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Seagate Discwizard Isues and BartPE
Reply #1 - Apr 8th, 2013 at 3:25pm

@
Tator

Did you make your BartPE CD with drivers for the SIL3114 chipset? Adding drivers should enable you to see the SATA HD.

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - Apr 8th, 2013 at 7:01pm

The BartPE CD was created a few years ago before I added the SATA card, and drivers were thus not included,  I assume there's a way to add the drivers to the BartPE build, and I'll check into doing that. 

Along the same line of logic, can the SATA drivers be included using nLite to make Windows boot CD so floppy with drivers isn't needed during Windows install?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Apr 8th, 2013 at 7:13pm

@
Tator

Tator wrote on Apr 8th, 2013 at 7:01pm:
I assume there's a way to add the drivers to the BartPE build, 

Put the drivers into a folder and put that folder in \drivers\SCSIAdapter prior to the build.

Tator wrote on Apr 8th, 2013 at 7:01pm:
can the SATA drivers be included using nLite to make Windows boot CD

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/howto-xp-sata.htm

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #4 - Apr 9th, 2013 at 2:21pm

Trying to create new build with SATA driver included after SATA driver was added in pebuilder drivers folder, pebuilder finds no Discwizard plugin when I try to add the plugin before build.  I downloaded and instaled latest Discwizard version, but there's no BartPE shown to include during install when custom install is selected.  I tried complete install, but no BartPE folder is created and no plugin to add in pebuilder.  Pebuilder seems to be looking for CAB files, but there are none in Seagate folder or subfolders.

I've gppgle searched and find the plugin should be in Discwizard as a selection, but I find no questions about plugin not being a selection.  Any ideas how I might get the BartPE plugin for Discwizard? 

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Apr 9th, 2013 at 2:48pm

@
Tator

I've no ideas about the Discwizard plugin.

Did you put the SATA drivers in the SCSIAdapter folder?

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #6 - Apr 9th, 2013 at 4:16pm

SATA drivers were placed in the SCSIAdapter folder which should allow BartPE CD to see SATA drives, but this does no good if I'm unable to add Discwizard BartPE plugin in a build.   I sent email query to Seagate support which is kind of a pain since they make you include make, model and serial number of a hard drive, but that's the only way I know to try to get the required plugin.

Another thought occurred to me.  Do you know if there's a way to use the old BartPE CD data and include the SATA drivers into an ISO?  I could then burn that ISO to a new CD if that would work, but I don't know how to do that or if it's even possible.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #7 - Apr 9th, 2013 at 4:35pm

@
Tator

I'm not familiar with Seagate Discwizard. What does it do?

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #8 - Apr 9th, 2013 at 6:30pm

Discwizard is based on Acronis and is used to add new hard drives as well as create and restore backup images and clone drives.  It's much faster than Ghost 2003 for creating and restoring images and uses slightly less space for images which is why I came to prefer it to Ghost 2003.  Just yesterday I created images of a 22GB WinXP drive using Ghost 2003 and Discwizard to test the speed difference.  Ghost 2003 using "Fast Compression" required 72 minutes to create image compared to 21 minutes for Discwizard, and resulting image sizes were 13GB and 12GB restectively.

Unfortunately I just got reply from Seagate support stating later Discwizard versions no longer have the BartPE plugin.  I did find an old CD that came with a Seagate drive that has Discwizard on it which has a BartPE plugin selection during install and shows a BartPE subfolder in the Discwizard folder after install.  However, pebuilder finds no CAB files in that folder.

It seems I may be relegated to Ghost 2003 unless somebody on this forum may have the needed plugin or know where to find it online. 

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #9 - Apr 9th, 2013 at 6:57pm

@
Tator

Tator wrote on Apr 8th, 2013 at 10:32am:
Note to use Discwizard from boot CD I had to do it via BartPE because the boot CD that Discwizard creates fails to boot on that PC

Does that computer boot from a USB flash drive? If so you could put the Discwizard ISO on a grub4dos USB flash drive.

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #10 - Apr 9th, 2013 at 9:29pm

It turns out clicking add in the plugins tab of pebuilder wasn't the right way to go because it found no CAB files it was seeking.  Through some google searches I found Nero and other programs could be added to a build simply by copying contents of of Nero Burning ROM to the Nero folder within the plugins folder and do a little editing of resulting plugin to enter username, serial number, etc.  I decided to try adding the BartPE folder from the old Seagate CD install to the seagate folder in the pebuilder plugins folder, and bingo!  Seagate Discwizard now shows up in plugins with "Yes" status as part of build.

I created the new build, made ISO of the build and booted to CD burned from that ISO.  All drives including SATA drives are now seen when booted to this CD, and Discwizard is up and flying again.   

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #11 - Apr 9th, 2013 at 10:12pm

@
Tator

Nice work. Thanks for the feedback.

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #12 - Apr 10th, 2013 at 11:58am

FYI Seagate Discwizard 11.0 is latest version that has the BartPE plugin selection during install, and that version appears to be available from http://download.cnet.com/DiscWizard/3000-2248_4-196318.html if anyone else may need it.  Also those who need Discwizard that works for Vista and Win7 need the latest version 13 available from Seagate downloads site.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #13 - Apr 11th, 2013 at 9:07am

@
Brian

Brian wrote on Apr 9th, 2013 at 4:35pm:

I don't use Seagate's DiscWizard (I have on occasion for doing diagnostics, but not backup and restores), but its public face is that it is limited to Seagate and Maxtor HDDs.  If you have a system that does not have a qualifying HDD, you get an error message stating that you can not use the software.

Apparently there is a work-around--thought I'd mention it so if someone comes across this problem, they can still get the program to work:

Using DiscWizard / MaxBlast to back up non-Seagat​e internal hard drive

Quote:
Solution

At the Error screen, hold down the Alt key while you type t then o (for tech override), and then click OK.

Someone mentioned this on the forum some time ago, but I could not remember who or when and have not found the thread--maybe someone remembers and can point us to that.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #14 - Apr 11th, 2013 at 11:38am

Unforeseen problems with latest BartPE CD including Discwizard and some problems with seemingly no explanation.  That latest BartPE CD sees all drives on the PC with the SIL3114 SATA card but doesn't see SATA drives on another PC with non SIL drivers on the motherboard which seems plausible.  However, I then tried the BartPE CD with Discwizard that I had used for years and used it to create images on that other PC with onboard non SIL drivers just a couple of months ago, and it no longer sees SATA drives on the other PC it had worked for years with no problems.  Thinking the CD might have been corrupt or something I made a new BartPE build which had the same results, i.e. no SATA drives seen on that PC by the new BartPE CD.  It's almost as if something got written to BartPE CDs to prevent its seeing SATA drives, but I doubt that's possible.

This may have turned into a blessing in disguise though.  About a year ago I made a Discwizard 13 boot CD to image a new laptop with Win7 that I got, and I decided to try it on the PC that would freeze during boot with Discwizard 11 boot CD that I made a few years ago.  Bingo!  It boots fine and boots much faster than BartPE.  Not only that, image creation time is further reduced from earlier Discwizard version with image space used about the same.  Time for the Discwizard 11 imaging was 21 minutes for a 22GB XP partition and takes 10 minutes to validate image compared to 25 minutes for imaging and validation for Discwizard 13 version.   

The user interface is not as intuitive with Discwizard 13 and takes a little getting use to but is well worth learning.  The newest version also has a boot menu selection that allows continue to boot to os as default selection, or you can select Discwizard boot choice whereas PC will boot to BartPE if CD is in CDROM with no boot menu.  Imaging and validating are combined into 1 step, but you must check the box tovalidate else it won't validate.  The only minor thing I dislike about the newest Discwizard boot CD is there seems to be no way to exit and reboot to Windows, and the PC shuts down if you click the "X" at the upper right corner of the program screen.  If anybody knows how to reboot to Windows from this Discwizard boot CD, I'd like to know.

NightOwl wrote on Apr 11th, 2013 at 9:07am:
@
Brian

Brian wrote on Apr 9th, 2013 at 4:35pm:

I don't use Seagate's DiscWizard (I have on occasion for doing diagnostics, but not backup and restores), but its public face is that it is limited to Seagate and Maxtor HDDs.  If you have a system that does not have a qualifying HDD, you get an error message stating that you can not use the software.

Apparently there is a work-around--thought I'd mention it so if someone comes across this problem, they can still get the program to work:

Using DiscWizard / MaxBlast to back up non-Seagat​e internal hard drive

Quote:
Solution

At the Error screen, hold down the Alt key while you type t then o (for tech override), and then click OK.

Someone mentioned this on the forum some time ago, but I could not remember who or when and have not found the thread--maybe someone remembers and can point us to that.

I believe I was the first to post about the workaround to use Discwizard with non Seagate drives in reply #9 at http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1215133362 and reported successfully using the workaround in reply #26 of the same thread.

I have a question about login that happened yesterday and again today.  Has anybody reported login problems or problems staying logged in?  Yesterday I wasn't logged in as I normally am for some reason, and I got the password mismatch error when I tried to login and got password reset via email.  Today I used the exact same password that worked yesterday, and I got the password mismatch message again.  Any ideas why this happens or how to prevent it? 

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print