Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 or not (Read 43733 times)
Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 or not
Nov 19th, 2015 at 3:12pm

@
Christer

Are you interested in using Win10?

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Re: Upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 or not
Reply #1 - Nov 20th, 2015 at 3:54am

@
Brian

Well, yes and no. My current system was built in early 2011, dual booting WXP and W7. I don't think that I will take advantage of the free upgrade to W10. To me it seems to be a "hit or miss" operation. The next build will be running the, at the time, current OS.

Maybe I'll change my mind about upgrading ... Undecided ... I've never even seen a computer running W10.

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #2 - Nov 20th, 2015 at 4:30am

@
Christer

Win10 will be around for many years and it would be a shame not to at least have your computer "Activated" for Win10 while it is free. Even if you don't use it. You could remove your HD0 and install an empty HD. Then clean install Win10 using your Win7 serial. Win10 will automatically activate. You would then remove the HD and reinstall your WinXP/Win7 HD. Microsoft will then regard your computer as OK for any Win10 installs in future years.

I'm a Win10 fan. I upgraded Win8 to Win10, a 20 minute procedure. Unlike previous OS upgrades, 8 to 10 works without issues. I've done several dozen upgrades.

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/6815/microsoft-will-now-let-windows-...

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #3 - Nov 20th, 2015 at 5:21am

@
Brian

I never did it before but I tried to split the last few posts from the original thread. It didn't turn out as I hoped. I expected to be able to choose a thread title but it doesn't seem like it and the posts appear in the reverse order.

Anyway, the tail is wagging the dog. I'll read up on "thurrott" which probably generates a few questions.

Edited: I was able to manually modify each post with a new thread title and reversing the order of the posts was done by clicking the thread title. You never stop learning ... Cool ... !

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #4 - Nov 20th, 2015 at 2:02pm

@
Christer

I've found the easiest way to upgrade Win7/8 to Win10 is to download an ISO from...

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench

... then write the ISO to an 8GB (or larger) USB flash drive with Rufus.

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

I had issues running the ISO from the HD. No issues using a UFD. Others burnt the ISO to a DVD and ran setup.exe from the DVD.

In Windows, run setup.exe on the flash drive. Answer a few questions. Easy. I always declined the Download and install updates question. The updates will download after the install anyway. You don't have to have your Win7/8 updated to the latest update from Windows Update before starting this method.

Last week Win10 build 1511 was released (available from the above link). It is the first Win10 build that allows you to do a clean install using your Win7 key. Previously you had to upgrade Win7/8 and activate (automatic) Win10. Once Win10 was activated you could format the HD and clean install Win10 if you desired. Or just keep the upgrade. I kept the upgrade as it was "perfect". All my apps and settings were still present and there were no glitches at all.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #5 - Nov 22nd, 2015 at 6:04am

@
Brian

In September, I went almost "all the way" and let Microsoft install the "get windows 10" updates. I downloaded the "MediaCreationToolx64" which created a bootable USB-drive as well as an ISO to burn to DVD. Either of them would run off-line to do the upgrade to Windows 10.

Next, I used Ghost to restore the system "back to normal".

I was under the impression that -

- I had to upgrade the current system to W10, which would be automatically activated. A new key would be generated which I would be able to extract for future reinstallations from "square one".

- After that, my Windows 7 key would be "dead" unless I within 30 days revert back to Windows 7 by uninstalling Windows 10.

I thought that Microsoft tries to "kill" all operating systems prior to Windows 10. Do I understand it correctly that, doing it "your way", I can run both operating systems, by swapping different HDD's, activated using the same original Windows 7 key? I would, however, need to download different media to install Windows 10 on a new HDD.

I've also had thoughts about the "fully updated Windows 7 prior to ugrading to Windows 10" requirement. Wouldn't it be better with as little Windows 7 crap (updates) as possible, to get an as lean as possible Windows 10?

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #6 - Nov 22nd, 2015 at 11:04am

@
Christer

Christer wrote on Nov 22nd, 2015 at 6:04am:
I was under the impression that -

- I had to upgrade the current system to W10, which would be automatically activated. A new key would be generated which I would be able to extract for future reinstallations from "square one".

There is no new key to extract from Win10. Your Win10 sends a hardware hash to a  Microsoft server so your computer will be identified when or if Win10 is reinstalled in the future and the new Win10 will be activated. For example, you could upgrade Win7 to Win10, rollback Win10 to Win7 within the one month period, upgrade Win7 to Win10 in a few years time and Win10 would be activated. Or you could upgrade Win7 to Win10, rollback Win10 to Win7 within the one month period, experience a HD failure in a few years time, install Win10 to a new HD and Win10 would be activated.

You can also do this, which you may have done. Image your current system. Upgrade Win7 to Win10. Win10 is activated and Microsoft recognizes your computer. Restore your image and have no Win10. Your computer will be OK for a clean Win10 install in the future. No Win7 key will be needed.

I'm multi-booting with BIBM so I can have multiple independent OS in primary partitions. No booting files are shared. I cloned my Win8 partition to the same drive, upgraded one Win8 to Win10 and now I have two activated OS. Win8 and Win10.

Microsoft have (? temporarily) withdrawn the 1511 update ISO so at present you can't clean install using a Win7 key but there is a workaround....

http://www.ghacks.net/2015/08/30/how-to-clean-install-windows-10-directly-withou...

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/how-to-do-a-clean-windows-10-install-with...

The link I posted above....

... now gives you a pre 1511 ISO, but that's OK.

Christer wrote on Nov 22nd, 2015 at 6:04am:
I've also had thoughts about the "fully updated Windows 7 prior to ugrading to Windows 10" requirement. Wouldn't it be better with as little Windows 7 crap (updates) as possible, to get an as lean as possible Windows 10?

I don't think it matters because after the upgrade your previous OS files are in a folder called "Windows.old". This folder can be deleted using Disk Cleanup, after which you can't rollback. I always delete this folder as I know I won't be rolling back. I have an image if I want to restore the previous OS.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #7 - Nov 22nd, 2015 at 1:02pm

@
Brian

It seems like I have some homework to do. Regarding the hardware and licensing, I run an OEM version which is not transferable to another system and as I understand it, there are limitations to hardware changes to the current system. I recently changed the graphics card and installing W10 on a new SSD would also constitute a hardware change but I guess that this would be within limits and not affect activation.

... Roll Eyes ... I had made up my mind to not upgrade to W10 ... Huh ... but doing it on a new SSD, only to go back to W7 on a HDD really would put me on the hill with that other fool!

I'll sit on my hands and see what happens on the "Win10 build" front. There's no real hurry.

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #8 - Nov 23rd, 2015 at 1:47pm

@
Brian

Brian wrote on Nov 22nd, 2015 at 11:04am:
Microsoft have (? temporarily) withdrawn the 1511 update ISO so at present you can't clean install using a Win7 key but there is a workaround....

Microsoft yanks latest Windows 10 release from its download server

Quote:
Downloading the tool from the same page today results in a file with an earlier version number: 10.0.10240.16480.

That's the version I downloaded in late September.

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #9 - Nov 23rd, 2015 at 2:11pm

@
Christer

My version is 10.0.10586 Build 10586

I downloaded the ISO on 13th November from...

The file-name is Win10_1511_English_x64.iso. That site is now offering Win10_English_x64.iso which is the previous Win10 version.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #10 - Nov 23rd, 2015 at 2:52pm

@
Brian

From Microsoft yanks latest Windows 10 release from its download server

Quote:
Update: The version 10586 Media Creation Tool is still available from an unpublished link on Microsoft's download servers. Microsoft will probably remove it before long, but for now at least it works to upgrade systems running the original (build 10240) release of Windows 10 or to create a version 1511 ISO file.

I downloaded the tool from that link but it was not a x64 version but that's the tool itself. When I ran it, it said to analyse the system and offered the 64-bit version. I'm not sure but I believe that I have the latest, withdrawn, version.

When media creation was complete, it noted that when upgrading from W7 or W8, no key is needed but when doing a clean installation, a W10-key is needed. You said that, with this version, a W7 or W8 key would do. So, the question is, what have I got?

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #11 - Nov 23rd, 2015 at 3:00pm

@
Christer

Christer wrote on Nov 23rd, 2015 at 2:52pm:
but when doing a clean installation, a W10-key is needed.

Just click "Skip". I recall a key is requested twice but you don't have to enter a Win10 one at all.

I haven't tried a clean install using a Win7 key.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #12 - Nov 23rd, 2015 at 3:26pm

@
Brian

Christer wrote on Nov 23rd, 2015 at 2:52pm:
So, the question is, what have I got?

I checked the properties of the USB-drive created in September:
964 files in 100 folders > 3 429 496 593 byte
The version of setup.exe is 10.0.10240.16384

I checked the properties of the USB-drive created today:
969 files in 98 folders > 3 147 995 914 byte
The version of setup.exe is 10.0.10586.0

(The number of files and folders and the total size will vary depending on version of Windows 10 and language.)

It seems like I should consider myself lucky to be directed to that webpage over at Windows BBS.

Edited: You posted while I was typing - I've read your comment on "skipping the key".

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #13 - Nov 23rd, 2015 at 3:34pm

@
Christer

I'll try a version 1511 clean install in the next half hour. Just making the UFD now.

Edit ... My 1511 64-bit Win10 Pro UFD has 3.81 GB of used space. Are you using Win10 Home?

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #14 - Nov 23rd, 2015 at 3:47pm

@
Brian

I'm using Windows 7 Professional, Swedish language version and I assume that it will be upgraded to the corresponding Windows 10 version.

I've not seen mention of version 1511 anywhere on the installation media. What is the version of setup.exe on your USB-drive?

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print