Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Transferring Win10 to different hardware (Read 77129 times)
Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Re: Transferring Win10 to different hardware
Reply #30 - Jul 26th, 2016 at 5:44pm

Brian wrote on Jul 26th, 2016 at 4:14pm:
All Win OS are Activated. 

Ah, good. So a Win10 upgrade does not invalidate the 7/8.1 registration key, regardless of whether it's OEM or retail.

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #31 - Jul 26th, 2016 at 5:55pm

Tator wrote on Jul 26th, 2016 at 4:49pm:
Will Discwizard see all 3 partitions on the laptop?

I couldn't say for sure. I discarded Discwizard almost a decade ago because it did a notoriously poor job of handling hidden partitions. (Unfortunately, it did the worst thing any utility could do. Rather than saying, "I don't know what that is, so will steer clear," it effectively said, "I think I can guess what that is, so I'll handle it how I think might work". In the process, it mangled the hidden partitions irrepairably.)

There are so many good alternatives that I haven't had any reason to evaluate the current Discwizard.

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #32 - Jul 26th, 2016 at 10:03pm

Now I recall the BartPE CD I run Discwizard from is version 11 that's the last version that has the BartPE plugin, and that CD won't boot unless SATA in BIOS is set to IDE mode.  Thus the laptop won't boot that CD, and I decided to use EaseUS Todo Backup which I've tested successfully before.  It created image of 3 laptop partitions and successfully checked them.  EaseUS created and checked the image created from 65GB of data on the laptop in about 2 hours while it took Discwizard about 4 hours to create and check 26GB of data on the Desktop.

I've also tested Discwizard version 13 that's supposed to work for Windows 7 and later, but it failed badly in the restore process.  It does the restore in 2 steps by first deleting the existing partition and then restoring the image to that location.  The first step would complete every time, but it would often fail to restore the image.  Naturally this results in a useless partition with no data.

Yesterday I upgraded the second Desktop from Win8.1 that's connected via wireless adapter to the internet, and it connects fine   Today I upgraded a third and final Desktop from Win8.1 that's connected via wireless adapter to the internet, but it won't connect.  I tried a number of things including disable and then enable the connection, deleting the connection and creating it anew, identify and repair the connection and run the Trouble Shooter.  Device Manager shows the device is working properly and shows it has correct updated driver.  The connection was working perfectly with this adapter in Win8.1 before the upgrade.  Has anybody had this kind of problem with wireless connections or know how to fix it?

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #33 - Jul 27th, 2016 at 3:32am

Dan Goodell wrote on Jul 26th, 2016 at 3:22pm:
Yes, that's one of my biggest concerns with forced hardware updates. In my years of experience I've seen way too many botched systems caused by Microsoft updating an OEM manufacturer's customized drivers.

To clarify:

I normally use a USB-mouse but occasionally don't bother connecting it. On the screen prior to logging in, the touchpad worked but after logging in on Win10 it didn't work, which indicated a driver issue.

When I searched for a possible cause, there were no updates to Win10 "in the pipeline", everything updated.

Soon enough, I found out that the touchpad had been disabled. I reenebled it and it immediately worked. I went back to WU to find out which update could be the culprit. That's when I found the driver update "in the pipeline".

Could it be that Win10 disabled the touchpad because it found a (non existing) driver issue? When I reenabled the touchpad, it offered the (not needed) driver update.

No matter what, I like it better the "old way" when the user is in control. When I, the user, find an issue, I search for a solution. After Win10 messing with it, a USB-mouse was needed since the touchpad was "dead".

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #34 - Jul 27th, 2016 at 11:02am

Some checking finds the wireless adapter on the connection problem PC in Win8.1 was using Atheros AR9285 driver which was working correctly, but Win10 shows it's using Atheros AR9485 driver.  A customer review at Amazon says it's Atheros AR9380.  Then I tried uninstalling the device in Windows and restarted to have Windows reinstall it which didn't help.  It shows Win10 drivers available at https://www.atheros-drivers.com/ for the AR9285 and AR9485 adapters but no download link there.  I find links to download the AR9485 drivers at http://www.driverscape.com/download/qualcomm-atheros-ar9485-wireless-network-ada..., but that's a third party source which I don't know is reliable or not; also at http://www.driverscape.com/download/qualcomm-atheros-ar9285-wireless-network-ada... the same source has the AR9285 drivers.

Unfortunately Qualcom offers no end user driver support according to the Qualcom web site.  At this point I may have to risk the third party downloads.  I'm unsure if Windows will let me install the AR9285 driver since it identifies the adapter as the AR9485.  I guess I could try both to see.  Worst case scenario I may have to go back to Win8.1 on that PC to get wireless to work.  What a pain!

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #35 - Jul 27th, 2016 at 2:18pm

Tator wrote on Jul 27th, 2016 at 11:02am:
It shows Win10 drivers available at https://www.atheros-drivers.com/ for the AR9285 and AR9485 adapters but no download link there.  I find links to download the AR9485 drivers at http://www.driverscape.com/download/qualcomm-atheros-ar9485-wireless-network-ada..., but that's a third party source which I don't know is reliable or not

What makes you think atheros-drivers.com isn't a third-party site? The webpage even says it's an "unofficial" site, and checking the domain's whois shows it's not associated with Qualcomm (the Atheros' maker).

Nonetheless, I visited atheros-drivers.com in a virtual machine (just to make sure the site wasn't going to infect me), and I was able to download both the AR9285 and AR9485 drivers for Win10. It's pretty convoluted--you have to click about 3 or 4 "Download" links, most of which don't download but take you to yet another page, but eventually it downloaded the drivers as zip files. I opened the zip files to check the contents and they appear to be legitimate drivers, not a junkware-added repackaging like many third-party driver sites do.

I wouldn't hesitate to try the atheros-drivers.com drivers. I'd probably try the 9285 driver because you know that worked before.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #36 - Jul 27th, 2016 at 6:35pm

Another Win10 restore to a different computer. Source was HP laptop. Target was Asus desktop. Both were UEFI mode. No problems.

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #37 - Jul 27th, 2016 at 9:38pm

I tried the 9285 driver which didn't help.  Then I tried the 9485 that works very well as it did before upgrade.

I attempted to upgrade the Dell laptop form Win7, but the upgrade failed.  For the Desktop upgrades done the upgrade automatically uninstalled Zonealarm and showed a message it was uninstalled after upgrade completed.  However, for the laptop it prompted me to manually uninstall Zonealarm during setup.  The manual uninstall prompted me to restart to complete the uninstall which I did.  I then had to restart the upgrade, and it got stuck for over 2 hours at the "Finding Updates" step.  I restarted and tried again skipping the"Install Updates" step, and it proceeded to the point of 8% complete installing Win10 where it got stuck again for over 2 hours.  I don't know if it's now possible to upgrade that laptop.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #38 - Jul 28th, 2016 at 1:37am

@
Tator

How are you doing the upgrade? Which method?

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #39 - Jul 28th, 2016 at 6:33am

The media creation tool was used to make ISO that was burned to DVD, and Setup was run from DVD while booted to the Win7Home Desktop.

A few ideas came to me.  I think the Setup was corrupted by the uninstall of Zonealarm whose restart to complete the uninstall interrupted Setup causing the corruption, and Setup keeps using part of the corrupted data.  The only ways I can think to resolve the problem is by 1 of 3 means. to get rid of the now corrupt data used by Setup.  I can use Rescue media to return to factory conditions, restore the backup image or format the C drive and do a fresh install of Win7Home before retrying the upgrade.  I'm favoring the fresh install due to all the bloatware that come on the laptop which I never use anyway.  However, I've never done this on a laptop and wonder if all correct drivers will be installed or where to get drivers if they're not installed.  Which do you think the best option, and how can drivers be installed if they're not installed in a fresh install?  Can the upgrade be run immediately after fresh install, or are there Service Packs or Updates that should first be installed in Win7 before starting the upgrade?  Also I assume Win7 fresh install would have to be the Home version to be activated, and a fresh install of Win7Pro would not be activated.  Is this correct?   

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #40 - Jul 28th, 2016 at 7:50am

@
Tator

When I used the Media Creation Tool last year, it failed every time. This ISO worked every time. Either from a UFD or DVD. I still use this ISO to make a UFD with Rufus. Run setup.exe on the UFD or DVD in Windows. Don't boot from the UFD or ISO.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench

Select Windows 10. Not the other 3 choices.

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #41 - Jul 28th, 2016 at 9:35am

By this ISO worked every time do you mean the one from that download and not the one created by the Media Creation Tool?  Selecting Win10 choice at top of page goes to a page that has only options to upgrade now or get the Media Creation Tool with no ISO download link I can see there.  Am I missing something or where is the download link?

FYI I found there's a link to download a a tool from Microsoft to Prevent Windows Update From Installing Specific Updates and Drivers after I reread the article at http://www.howtogeek.com/224471/how-to-prevent-windows-10-from-automatically-dow... .  This seems to be the only way I've seen to have any control over which updates are installed.  BTW I've noticed popups occur periodically in Win10 from Sprint, Panasonic and others while using Firefox.  I never had this issue in Win8.1. Could this be coming from Firefox, Microsoft Edge or just a part of Win10 privacy issues?  Is there a way to stop these popups?

Does anybody else here know where Brian obtained the ISO he referenced?  Time is growing short since free upgrade offer expires tomorrow, and I've much more work to do if that ISO doesn't complete upgrade install.  Is there a source for some other ISO that might work if I'm unable to find the one referenced?

Edit:  I finally realized there's a drop down near the bottom of the page Brian referenced with 4 choices, and I saw in another forum selecting 10 from that drop down downloads a file that may be used for either Home or Professional versions.  Downloading it right know.

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #42 - Jul 28th, 2016 at 3:32pm

To paraphrase Tator's reply #39, "The only ways I can think to resolve the problem is:"
  • "use Rescue media to return to factory conditions", or
  • "restore the backup image [I made earlier]", or
  • "format and do a fresh install of Win7Home before retrying the upgrade."

Does your machine have a built-in factory restore option? If so, you should be able to perform a factory restore without Rescue media and then upgrade directly to Win10, provided your factory restore leaves you with Win7 SP1 or Win8.1. If not SP1, then Win7 needs to be updated to SP1 first, and if a factory restore leaves you with Win8.0 I believe you need to upgrade to 8.1 first. None of the other monthly MS updates need to be applied or brought up to date.

re: the Atheros wifi problem, I just discovered my Inspiron 1012 uses the AR9285, and it works fine on Win10.

Honestly, though, I've gotten a bit confused about what you're working on. I've had to reread a couple times before realizing your posts were evidently going back and forth about different computers. So if I now read correctly:
  • you have three unspecified desktops and one Dell laptop;
  • desktop 1 upgraded to Win10 successfully;
  • desktop 2 upgraded from 8.1 to Win10 successfully;
  • desktop 3 has Atheros wifi adapter, upgrade from 8.1 to Win10 initially had driver problem but now works successfully;
  • Dell laptop is the one you were worried about with three partitions, and you haven't successfully installed Win10 yet.

Have I got that straight?

So the Atheros problem was a different computer and is now fixed anyway, and now the only problem is a Dell laptop (which model?) that came with OEM Win7 Home Premium (is it SP1?), and you're having trouble getting the Win10 upgrade to install.

And the Dell laptop is the one you're contemplating doing a factory restore? Then yes, it should have a factory restore option on the F8/Recovery menu.

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #43 - Jul 28th, 2016 at 4:04pm

Yes, that is all correct.  I now have the ISO from the link in reply #40 burned to DVD, and I started Win10 Setup while booted to the laptop about 2 hours before posting this reply.  Currently it's still in the Getting Updates step of the install.  I don't know if it's stuck again nor do I know how long this should take on a laptop.

Edit:  I also started another download of the ISO from the link in reply #40 around 2 hours ago, and progress bar shows approximately 2 thirds complete.  This download is being done over a wireless connection, and the laptop would connect wirelessly too if it's downloading the updates.  The ISO download done earlier was done on a PC connected directly to the router by ethernet, and that download took only 7 minutes.  The Getting Updates could be taking longer during Setup if it's downloading updates.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #44 - Jul 28th, 2016 at 4:47pm

Tator wrote on Jul 28th, 2016 at 4:04pm:
Currently it's still in the Getting Updates step of the install.

Where is that step? At the start or the end of the install? I always remove the tick from the Updates box and do the Updates later.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print