Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Transferring Win10 to different hardware (Read 77131 times)
Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Transferring Win10 to different hardware
Reply #45 - Jul 28th, 2016 at 4:53pm

Regarding Win10 upgrade time. 15 minutes on a fast computer. 3 hours on an Atom tablet.

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #46 - Jul 28th, 2016 at 5:09pm

That step is near the beginning.  I suspect the slow download is due to the wireless connection.  I'm going to cancel the install, restart it and elect not to get updates during setup.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #47 - Jul 28th, 2016 at 6:10pm

Has it done the first restart yet? After copying files.

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #48 - Jul 28th, 2016 at 6:18pm

Setup was restarted about 1 hour and 10 minutes ago, and the first restart was about 5 minutes ago.  It seems to be progressing normally and hopefully will complete this time.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #49 - Jul 28th, 2016 at 6:27pm

So now you are seeing the big circle with the percentage numbers in the circle? You will get a restart at 30% and again at 75%.

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #50 - Jul 28th, 2016 at 6:49pm

Setup completed successfully about 5 minutes ago and completed in about 1 hour and 40 minutes from start of Setup.  Not bad for a laptop which is usually slower than a desktop any way.  Thanks to all for the help and special thanks to Dan Goodell and Brian for sharing their knowledge and their assistance.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #51 - Jul 28th, 2016 at 7:04pm

Excellent!!!!!!

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #52 - Jul 29th, 2016 at 10:38pm

Dan Goodell wrote on Jul 24th, 2016 at 2:59pm:
It seems like they'll have to monetize their R&D somehow. The three most obvious business models would be to either (a) sell it, (b) make it a subscription service, or (c) make it ad supported.

More news to suggest which direction Microsoft may be heading:

More forced advertising creeps into Windows 10 Pro

7 ways Windows 10 pushes ads at you, and how to stop them

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #53 - Jul 31st, 2016 at 6:27am

When I started upgrade on 1 of the desktops, I noticed its clock was almost 3 hours slow which I set to current time and started the upgrade.  After upgrade I began to wonder why the clock was slow. I checked Manage/Services/Windows Time and found it was set to manual. but I think it should be set to Automatic.  To test I reset the internet time sync interval to 1 hour, checked time in a couple of hours, but it hadn't changed.  FYI there's a regedit at http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/89800-internet-time-synchronization-update-int... to reset the sync interval in case some here may not know.  I changed the Windows Time service to Automatic and reset the sync interval from default setting of 1 week to 12 hours.

There's another time issue I had due to my dual boot on the 3 desktops.  First I changed WinXP not to adjust for daylight savings time(DST), but that caused clock to be set back to standard time when I booted to WinXP.  Then boot to Win8.1 before and now Win10 did not reset to correct time I believe due to Windows Time being set to Manual.  Setting Windows Time to Automatic should correct this to a degree, but I decided to simply disable the Windows Time service in WinXP since I'm usually running WinXP for no more than 2 hours at a time and use Win10 most of the time.

At http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2066-windows-old-folder-delete-windows-10-a.h... there are ways to delete Windows.old and $Windows.~BT.  Windows.old is 15.5GB in Win10, total current size of drive C is 45.5GB, and deleting Windows.old would decrease that size by 1 third which is a nice disk space savings.  Are there any reasons those 2 files should not be deleted since I have backup images to restore Win8.1 if needed?

Earlier when I downloaded the ISO, it asked me if I wanted to burn DVD to which I checked Yes.  A message popped up "You have insufficient permission to perform this action" after which I clicked Cancel.  It said "Are you sure?  Cancel may make the disk unusable."  I  clicked Cancel which did make that disk unusable.  Not knowing what else to do I booted WinXP and burned disk using Nero.  Why did I get that message in Win10, and is there a way to fix this issue? 

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #54 - Aug 4th, 2016 at 4:48pm

@
Tator

Tator wrote on Jul 31st, 2016 at 6:27am:
A message popped up "You have insufficient permission to perform this action" 

Try this as it will correct Permissions and Ownership of that file. Put the ISO in a folder eg X:\Tator (change X to your drive letter) Run this batch file. Run as Admin.

Code:
takeown /f "X:\Tator" /r
icacls "X:\Tator" /grant users:F /t

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #55 - Aug 9th, 2016 at 7:15pm

The 15.5GB Windows.old file referred to in reply #53 was removed, but disk space only increased 12.5GB.  This happened on 2 of the desktops that were upgraded.  Anybody know why this happened or where the 3GB discrepancy went?

FYI I've used Seagate Discwizard for backups for many years now, but it's gotten slower and slower as data size to backup increases.  Discwizard was used to do my Win8.1 backup prior to upgrade and took about 2 hours to create image plus another 2 hours to verify image.  I've successfully tested EaseUS Todo Backup before and used it to backup Win10 after upgrade.  EaseUS Todo Backup took just 15 minutes to create the larger idata of Win10 image and only 5 minutes to check the image.  EaseUS Todo Backup is very easy to use as well, and I recommend to others looking for a fast and easy to use alternative.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #56 - Aug 10th, 2016 at 5:23pm

I found this interesting. Win10 1607 was installed as a fresh install to an empty partition on a multi-boot computer. BIBM was the boot manager so the BIOS was in MBR mode. The partition was imaged with IFW and the image was written to a shared folder in that same computer.

The target computer had Win10 installed in UEFI mode. An IFL UFD was booted and all partitions on HD0 were deleted. The disk remained as GPT. A network restore was performed (the image was still on the first computer) using the "Restore First Track" option. The disk was now EMBR because of the "Restore First Track"option. The "Change Disk Type" script was used to convert EMBR to GPT. ESP and MSR partitions were created by this procedure.

Win10 on the target computer booted in UEFI mode. No issues at all. Win10 was automatically Activated as this computer had previously had an Activated Win10.

Win10 is certainly forgiving on different hardware.

A few days ago I helped a mate build a new computer. His old computer was a Dell and the new computer contained an Asus MB. We transferred the HD0 SSD from the Dell to the new computer. Win10 booted. Nothing extra needed to be done. Well, apart from later installing drivers for the new Asus MB.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #57 - Aug 10th, 2016 at 5:28pm

@
Tator

Tator wrote on Aug 9th, 2016 at 7:15pm:
Anybody know why this happened or where the 3GB discrepancy went?

The figure shown in Disk Clean-up is only an indication. I've seen it out by 20 GB. But it's usually out by a few GB.

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #58 - Aug 11th, 2016 at 5:57pm

Brian wrote on Aug 10th, 2016 at 5:28pm:
@
Tator

Tator wrote on Aug 9th, 2016 at 7:15pm:
Anybody know why this happened or where the 3GB discrepancy went?

The figure shown in Disk Clean-up is only an indication. I've seen it out by 20 GB. But it's usually out by a few GB.

I didn't go by what Disk Cleanup said.  I checked the size of Windows.old file (15.5GB), the size of data on the C drive (45.6GB) before Windows .old was removed and the size of data on drive C (32.9GB) after removing Windows.old.  Subtracting Windows.old file size from drive C size before its removal should equal what's there now (45.6GB-15.5GB=30.1GB), but drive C size after removal is 2.8GB more than what the calculation results are.

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #59 - Oct 18th, 2016 at 11:16am

Another problem has arisen on the first desktop upgraded from Win8.1 to Win10 on the Win10/WinXP dual boot system.  Around a week ago a problem occurred while booted to Win10 on the dual boot Win10/WinXP system that has WinXP on one hard drive and Win10 on the other hard drive. It gave "Windows encountered a problem and must restart" error message. Upon restart "NTLDR is missing" message was given. By booting to Bart PE CD I learned the hard drive boot order had been switched in the BIOS and had to reset the BIOS boot order in order to boot Windows, and Windows tries to repair itself upon restart following BIOS boot order reset. After the Windows repair everything runs much slower for about 10 minutes after Windows is started, Zonealarm fails to start, and going to the Pandora radio site causes system lockup at times.  I can fix these problems by restoring an image that was created before the problem began, but I suspect the problem will recur.  The 2 hard drives are identical, exact same size and same model Seagate drives. That same problem recurred today.  Is this a Win10 problem or a BIOS problem, and would switching one of the hard drives to a different model help? Since the problem occurred while booted to Win10, I suspect it's more likely a Win10 issue. Also I never had this kind of problem when I was using Win8.1. Has anybody had this problem with Win10 or know how to fix the problem?

In another forum somebody suggested using EasyBCD instead of boot.ini to dual boot, but I suspect that wouldn't help since the boot order in the BIOS is switched while Widows is running.  I may have to revert to Win8.1 for a lasting fix if a solution can't be found for the current problem.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print