Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Ghost 11.5 ISO and Windows 10 (Read 57292 times)
OldCasper
Technoluster

I Love Ghost!

Florida, USA

Re: Ghost 11.5 ISO and Windows 10
Reply #60 - Sep 22nd, 2023 at 6:52pm

I said:  "when I install Windows xx and then I let it get the drivers for my Video Card, etc. I then turn Windows Updates OFF".  And so far, I've gotten along, for years, without ever getting any MS Updates.

As a working PC tech, I've had to recover many PC's that were Shut Down by an errant MS Update.
I just won't allow that to happen to my own PC. That would be really stupid of me.
I've always just figured that if an OS ran OK, the day I first installed it, then by Gawd it should run OK, a day, week, month or even years later.   That's always worked for me!

So, what OS are you using?

Cool

A man with experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #61 - Sep 23rd, 2023 at 1:22am

In the past, each patch-tuesday, you were offered several updates, addressing separate issues but nowadays, you get them bundled into a single update that takes "for ever" to install. I believe that the system with separate updates was better. Take note that I "believe" - I don't know.

I agree that if the OS runs fine day one, it should keep running fine but as I understand it, at least some of the updates address vulnerabilities (from hackers and other) that were unknown day one.

I run Windows 10 - 19045.3448

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

OldCasper
Technoluster

I Love Ghost!

Florida, USA

Reply #62 - Sep 24th, 2023 at 1:37pm

Windows 10 is going down a dirt road, and the bridge is OUT!

Windows 11, is very much Win-10, with a new look and a few other refinements.

There was just something about 10 that I could not abide.  I don't even remember what it was. Roll Eyes
I installed it, gave it a good looking over, and then restored a Ghost Image of Windows 8.1.

Finally after 11 came out, I tried it, found it totally acceptable, and decided to keep it.  However, it's 64 bit only, so that limited how many of my 12 PC's I could run it on. (five, actually)

On all the 32 bit PC's. I'm still running Windows 8.1/Pro/32.
Except (there's always an EXCEPT, Right?) one old laptop with a 64 bit cpu that just didn't like Win-11 for some crazy reason.  So it's now running Windows 10/Pro/32.  It's an old Dell laptop, probably the oldest PC I own.  And, it's running Win-10/32 just fine. 

I was doing some Web Surfing, last week, and I found a site offering Windows 11 in a Lite format.
They call it "Tiny 11" .  The work "Windows" is not even mentioned.
Well, since PC's and Windows is my hobby, I just had to have it.  Its ISO is much smaller than any other Win-11 ISO I've ever downloaded.  I downloaded it, burned it to a Flash Drive and then installed it to a spare HD, in less than an hour.  It came up, looking for the most part, just like Win-11, and it tweaked out just like 11, but some of my favorite BS apps were GONE!  Cortana and One Drive are GONE, along with a bunch of the lesser important Apps.  And, it came up as Digitally Activated.  Wowzers!

So far, I've set it up just like any other version of Windows 11, and it runs just great too.
Right now, it's running on an old and slow Laptop HD, over a decade old.  I'd like to Ghost it over to an SSD and see how it would run.  Much faster, I'm sure!

If you want any assistance, in upgrading to 11, I'll be glad to help.  It's really pretty easy!
Cool

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #63 - Sep 25th, 2023 at 1:44am

Quote:
If you want any assistance, in upgrading to 11, I'll be glad to help.It's really pretty easy!

Thanks for Your offer!

In the past, I've skipped every other version of Windows. I went from XP to 7 (skipped Vista) to 10 (skipped 8 and MS themselves skipped 9) and maybe I'll skip 11 and wait for 12?

By the way, didn't "someone" say that Windows 10 would be the last iteration of Windows?

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

OldCasper
Technoluster

I Love Ghost!

Florida, USA

Reply #64 - Sep 28th, 2023 at 2:02pm

I don't think I ever skipped one, since Windows 95, but there were a couple that I tested, rejected and waited for the next one to come along.

Windows 11/Pro/64 (there are NO 32 bit versions) is very stable, maliable, and easy to customize as you may see fit.  And, as so many have reported already, Win-11 is just an outgrowth of Windows 10.
It's going to be around for quite a while, so why not give it a try.

NO! I did not get mine from Microshaft.  I didn't want all their security holes.
I downloaded my Win-11 from:

https://getintopc.com/softwares/operating-systems/windows-11-pro-jan-2023-free-d...

Once you have the ISO, downloaded from the website, use the "Rufus" program to burn the ISO to a Flash Drive for Windows installation.

Then just use the Flash Drive to perform a CLEAN installation to the HD of your choice. 

It's really quite simple.  I like customizing my Windows, of any version.  I've been using the Open Shell program since Windows 7. 

Cheers Mate!
Cool

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #65 - Sep 29th, 2023 at 2:25am

OldCasper,

Thanks for your input!

I'll save that link and let you know "if and when"!

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

OldCasper
Technoluster

I Love Ghost!

Florida, USA

Reply #66 - Sep 29th, 2023 at 8:18am

I was just on the Windows 11 forum, and one person asked the question, if Win-11 would be slower than Win-10, and the common answer is "NO, it runs faster!" (on an Old PC)

My current PC has a BIOS date of 2008, and Win-11 runs like a scalded cat!  Of course, I'm using 16GB of ram and a 500GB Crucial SSD.

I've run several different OS's on this PC and I like Win-11 the best.

If you think you may ever want to use that ISO that I gave you the link to, download it now.
The owners of the site are having financial problems, and the site could do Down any time.

Doing a web search lately, I stumbled on a site that hosts "Tiny 11".  It's a great little bare bones Win-11.
It's 2GB smaller than the original OS from MS.
Most all of the things that I normally remove from Win-11, are already removed from "Tiny 11".

Here's hoping you have a great day now,
Cool

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #67 - Sep 30th, 2023 at 1:11am

I was planning to download the ISO ahead of time and will hopefully get my thumbs out this weekend.

Thanks!

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #68 - Sep 30th, 2023 at 2:52am

Christer,

The ISO download from Microsoft is here....

https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows11

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #69 - Oct 1st, 2023 at 1:15am

Brian,

Thanks for your input!

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

OldCasper
Technoluster

I Love Ghost!

Florida, USA

Reply #70 - Oct 1st, 2023 at 3:04pm

Yes, if you want conditions, stipulations, and lots of Bloatware.
OH, and you'll need a License, to activate it.

NO THANK YOU!  Not for this old tech!

For Win-11 that's fun to experiment with, do a web search for "Tiny 11".

I ran into it by accident one day while searching the web for new software.

"Tiny 11" is free of all MS Bloatware (crap) and is 2GB smaller than the OEM version.

Even with a really slow internet connection, I downloaded the ISO, burned it to a Flash Drive, with Rufus,  and then installed it to a spare HD, in just under an hour.

It's Windows 11/Pro/64 and runs like it.  But, without all the bloatware, it really runs great!

Boo!
Wink

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #71 - Oct 1st, 2023 at 7:18pm

OldCasper wrote on Oct 1st, 2023 at 3:04pm:
OH, and you'll need a License, to activate it.

If Win11 is installed on a computer that has previously run an activated Win10, Win11 will auto activate. Whether the Win10 partition is deleted or not.

IP Logged

OldCasper
Technoluster

I Love Ghost!

Florida, USA

Reply #72 - Oct 7th, 2023 at 2:31pm

Probably NOT at my house!  Because the Windows 10 would not have been licensed either.
I don't remember EVER having a lic. for any Windows version.  They seem to run just fine without it.

Early this morning, I downloaded Windows 11/Pro/64 from a trusted site, burned it to a Flash Drive with Rufus, and then installed it to a spare laptop HD, on my MAIN Desktop PC.
And all that before breakfast! Grin

IP Logged

OldCasper
Technoluster

I Love Ghost!

Florida, USA

Reply #73 - Nov 26th, 2023 at 1:26pm

I just stopped in to say "HI".
I hope y'all had a great Thanksgiving.

Yesterday, I did what I do almost every week, , , I cleaned up my PC, using, in part, my own "Cleanup.bat" program (DOS Batch File) and then I ran Ghost 11.5, from a DOS bootable Flash Drive.
Everything went off like clockwork, and I have one more reliable Ghost backup, securely saved to a second HD.
I usually keep five Ghost backups, while I delete the really OLD ones, just to save some space.

Since all my data files are NOT on my C: drive, those get backed up separately, using XCOPY on a batch file, to copy those data files to a 128GB Flash Drive and also to a 1TB data storage Drive.

So if I ever have to do a Ghost Restore to C: , no data files are affected.

Since our next holiday is Christmas, I want to wish Y'all a very MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Cool

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print