Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
World's getting paranoid? (Read 19696 times)
Figment
Radmeister

Always walking against
the wind

Madrid

World's getting paranoid?
Jan 29th, 2020 at 5:30pm

Don't know how you're experiencing the coronavirus issue where you live; I suppose it will depend on the number of infected people detected there, and the news about how fast it spreads around the world.

We have no cases confirmed in Spain yet; so while there are no home alerts, it looks like people won’t be really concerned about it.

But our neighbours in France and England are already getting a glimpse of things to come

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51294305?intlink_from_url=https://www.bbc....

Let us hope they succeed holding the virus back. Otherwise, we will have another social experiment of how modern mass media, paranoia and rising racism can affect our lives.

Have you already detected any shadows nearby?

IP Logged

Figment
Radmeister

Always walking against
the wind

Madrid

Re: World's getting paranoid?
Reply #1 - Mar 15th, 2020 at 3:35pm

How things have changed in the last few weeks...from no positives, to a few hundreds of deaths...

Well, our first two days of isolation here in Madrid, people have to realice it's a long distance run. It is impossible to foresee when deaths and virus spread will start falling; anything ranging between 3 weeks to a few months. We have Italy as image of what might happen here in the rest of the First World. But it doesn't look good.

I just hope other continents have better chances, but I fear the dice have already rolled….. and fate will tell differences in the outcome.

China is something different completely, so huge in every way….they started in December and are only starting to see the end of the tunnel.

Best luck to all of you!

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #2 - Mar 16th, 2020 at 11:14am

@
Figment

Figment wrote on Jan 29th, 2020 at 5:30pm:
Don't know how you're experiencing the coronavirus issue where you live ... 

Greetings from the Pacific Northwest here in the USA, State of Washington.

Well, things have gone from bad--to worse--in a very short time!

Several days ago, our head of State government, Governor Inslee, declared for the state of Washington a *state of emergency*!  He ordered in three counties with the greatest population centers that any gathering of 250 people or more must be canceled, or not scheduled for at least the next 4 weeks--subject to review and an extension of the ban.  And, any gathering less than 250 people must show that they have employed mitigating factors to prevent social contact--i.e. they must have *social distancing* in place.  These restrictions were not applied to schools, retail establishments, or restaurants and bars.

The next day, schools in the three counties were ordered to close as soon as possible--within the next two or three school days at the most.

The next day, the above bans were extended to include the entire State.

And, the next day, all restaurants and bars were ordered to close their doors to any on premises gatherings or service.  Restaurants are allowed to offer carry-out or delivery only.  Grocery stores and pharmacies are allowed to continue to serve their communities.  Other retail establishments must reduce their capacity of their stores to 50% of their maximum allowed.  Essentially, all other providers of public services or recreation are restricted, which include sporting events--large and small, churches, etc., and they are banned from opening their facilities to the public.  And, no large gatherings of greater than 50 are now allowed.

Yikes!  The world as we knew it only a week or two ago no longer exists!  Many small businesses have been given a *death sentence*--yes, for the public good, but many will not recover, and be able to survive these bans--they will not be able to re-open their doors.

I shed heart-felt tears for our communities, and the world ....

The State of Washington is reporting as of yesterday, Sunday, 772 confirmed cases, and 42 deaths--the numbers increase daily.  Only an estimated 10,220 tests have be administer out of a population of approx. 7.4 million people.  Do we really know what's going on?!

I think the virus has been in our State since Dec., 2019--we just did not recognize it as being here.  It's only as the ability of our State to test for the virus is gradually increasing, that we are seeing more and more positive results.

The *genie* is out of the bottle--we will not be able to put it back in.  We can only hope to *mitigate* at this point.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Figment
Radmeister

Always walking against
the wind

Madrid

Reply #3 - Mar 17th, 2020 at 9:27pm

I see that Washington's been taking the worst part by now in the USA, but unfortunately, it won't be kept that way. And anyway, it won't comfort anyone when bigger cities' losses start rising. Like we've been told, it's not a matter of 'if'; it's a matter of  'when'.

It was heartbreaking yesterday here in Madrid to see 19 elderlies swept away in one day in the same retirement home. Their families weren't even allowed to have a last look at them, just to gather for a few minutes at the cremation ceremony - sanitation rules above all. We can't even imagine what might come next, this might seem insignificant depending on future events.

We wake up everyday trying to keep our minds occupied inside this kind of curfew; however,  our attention is drawn by the casualties and spread rates - just like a war, an invisible war that we started to loose weeks ago when nature broke havoc and few had the guts to address it properly. A war lost when, with a few exceptions, rulers all around the globe have first tried to ignore, then pretend they would be able to do what's necessary, until figures have exposed the naked truth. A war lost when thousands of parents thought that both  home working and schools closed allowed them to rush their family to their second residence, spreading it even further; and venues, restaurants and open air terraces kept gathering public. A war lost when we, the people, refused to believe the seriousness of the situation just because we were told not to worry...yet.   Even today, we have mixed feelings about responsibility and freedom, only to be subdued by fear.

The chronicle of this new world that is rising will be written day by day worldwide, with the figures of infected, deaths and cured. Overall, we're still in the first chapter, and right now, no certainty about the outcome. Too many things we still don't know for sure, as this is "Terra Incognita".

BTW, Kudos to all the thousands of brave medical staff who are fighting and facing death to the limits of their strength. These are the ones who we should be proud of, so inspiring, and living example of how we can give our best to others.

Feel free to share your emotions or opinions, they will all be welcome, and perhaps might do you good. I will try to update as significant changes are made public, as it might give an insight of what is to come elsewhere.

Blessings and tons of luck for everyone, we're really going to need them.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #4 - Mar 19th, 2020 at 12:10pm

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #5 - Mar 19th, 2020 at 12:59pm

@
NightOwl

Interesting, it looks like it but does the page get updated or is it numbers from a moment in history?

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

mariella
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Italy

Reply #6 - Mar 19th, 2020 at 2:03pm

Christer wrote on Mar 19th, 2020 at 12:59pm:
@
NightOwl

Interesting, it looks like it but does the page get updated or is it numbers from a moment in history?

@
Christer,
it seems the numbers are updated, but with a day delay...at least for Italy.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #7 - Mar 19th, 2020 at 2:27pm

@
Christer

Christer wrote on Mar 19th, 2020 at 12:59pm:
Interesting, it looks like it but does the page get updated ...

As mariella said:  It appears to be updated daily (based on my visits to the site).

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #8 - Mar 19th, 2020 at 3:09pm

@
mariella
@
NightOwl

Thanks both, that's what I suspected, updates once a day!

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

Figment
Radmeister

Always walking against
the wind

Madrid

Reply #9 - Mar 20th, 2020 at 7:51am

mariella, where are you living in Italy, actually?

We have more than 60 % of Spain's deaths here in Madrid right now, (today at noon we exceed the thousand) as we have always been a heavy air and land transit point. Unfortunately, we did not heed the evidence coming from over your country....

The situation is pretty desperate from the medical point of view, completely overwhelmed, reaching human limits. I only wished others could learn from our mistakes, but listening to news from UK is so disheartening…

And I don't know how people will change (because they will) after this starts washing away...What kind of political power is lurking to capitalize the aftermath?

5th day at home, and everybody is slowly realizing this might not be over well over Easter.

BTW the Worldometer page is refreshed several times a day...depending on the data feed from different countries. Right now there are no figures from Italy, France or  UK  yet.

Really challenging times.

Best wishes to everyone, please do take care of yourselves. We are going to need everyone's help in the near future, whenever this is over.

IP Logged

mariella
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Italy

Reply #10 - Mar 20th, 2020 at 12:38pm

Figment wrote on Mar 20th, 2020 at 7:51am:
mariella, where are you living in Italy, actually?

@
Figment,

JFYK, I just live in Milan area, within the most impacted region in Italy, i.e. Lombardia.
Here we started with the first health provisions on last Feb, 21th, too much late for being able to impede or to reduce the great impact...

IP Logged

Figment
Radmeister

Always walking against
the wind

Madrid

Reply #11 - Mar 20th, 2020 at 3:54pm

@
mariella,

So you really are experiencing  the harsh conditions first hand...I think the whole world is looking there, not only worried about the dramatic situation, but also as it is the only trustworthy reference of real outcome. China can be a good reference regarding the scientific results they are already harvesting, but most of us other countries who did not have the courage (or perhaps the resources) to give a blunt response as soon as required will be anxiously looking at Italian data curves. Predictions now seem gloomily aiming at the first week in April  to the peak, which still feels SO far away.
Forza e pazienza!

IP Logged

mariella
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Italy

Reply #12 - Mar 20th, 2020 at 6:02pm

Figment wrote on Mar 20th, 2020 at 3:54pm:
Forza e pazienza!

not only, but mainly learning from others' mistakes and experience, above all.

I think that this could be the first opportunity for mankind to work and to cooperate all toghether, worldwide, having in mind a unique target, too.
But, unfortunately, this is only a utopia and, in fact, the behaviour of most impacted countries confirms that each of them is only acting independently...and selfishly.
What a pity!

IP Logged

Figment
Radmeister

Always walking against
the wind

Madrid

Reply #13 - Mar 22nd, 2020 at 2:23pm

Finishing our firs full week locked; which will be extended till the 11th of April - at least.

Drove to the supermarket this morning for some food, the highway to get there was ghostly. You could wait several minutes to see a car go by. Pretty scaring, in the bright light of sunshine.

Suppliers are doing a fantastic job. There are gaps at some shelves, specially the delicatessen or uncommon stuff, but the rest is replaced daily. So there is still enough fresh meat, fish and veggies for our meals.  All areas except food, cleaning or hygienic products are sealed, though. As no extra shopping is allowed except online, there are delivery delays and a bit of overprice.

All security forces and medical staff are taking a heavy toll, specially the latter. They already represent 10 % of infected people and replacing them is not easy; students on their last year of Medicine or Nursing are being desperately called to join in.

Sadly, the worst is yet to come, but at least China's figures give a small breeze of hope.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #14 - Mar 23rd, 2020 at 12:42pm

To All

An interesting perspective:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/20/opinion/coronavirus-pandemic-social-distancin...

I have to admit, I see some merit in the concepts being put forth.

On our current path, I am concerned that we have set in motion a modern version of the *Great Depression*!  Small businesses and self employed are going to be bankrupted by the extreme measures being taken now in an attempt to minimize exposure, and therefore prevent the over-whelming of our health care systems.

I could be wrong--but if we *flatten the curve*--yes, the health care systems will have a more manageable load, but I think this will further extend the length of the virus outbreak!  As soon as the restrictions are lowered, there will be an ongoing new influx of infected persons who were protected during the *stay at home* mandated period.

I doubt the virus will just disappear just because we slowed it down.

Until a vaccine is available (est. 12-18 months from now), or a significant percentage of the world's population has been exposed, and developed natural immunity (herd immunity), the vulnerable portion of our populations will continue, and remain *at risk*!

I don't see a quick, or easy recovery for the economies of the world!

Try to be safe out there!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print