Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Ghost 9.0 rescue disk (Read 149712 times)
fawny1
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ghost 9.0 rescue disk
Dec 28th, 2004 at 2:58pm

I am using WIN XP and have been using Ghost 2003 which i am very comfortable with. 

I have just bought Systemworks 2005 which includes ghost 9.0.0.2583.  I have looked at this new ghost and right now I am very seriously considering removing it.  It has no tutorials and help does NOT help a lot.

With Ghost 2003 I always worked out of dos from the rescue disk.  My first question is:  Will ver 9 even make a rescue disk and if so, how is it done?

If i read the help correctly, I would have to boot from the NSW install disk.  I have tried this several times < yes my bios is set to boot from the cdrom before the hard drive> and it does not boot from the install disk.

As my hard drive is partitioned into 3 partitions I normally store images on the data partition as well as on DVD disks.  Before I go screwing this up, can this be done with v9.0?

Are there any good tutorials for using Ghost 9.0?

If I can get these questins asked I think can work my way through this.

Thank you

IP Logged

texdawg
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Ghost 9.0 rescue disk
Reply #1 - Dec 28th, 2004 at 3:07pm

When you run the recovery CD you have 5 seconds to hit a key so the CD will boot.  Otherwise you boot into Windows.

A PDF on the CD contains the user guide, or you can download it from Symantec.

IP Logged

fawny1
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Dec 28th, 2004 at 5:00pm

I understand that if the images are on a CD or DVD disk it will boot and I can do a restore.

Let me rephrase what I want to accomplish.  First I have made images of my C and D drives and saved them on E drive.  Assume I did NOT make a CD or DVD image disk, which would normally boot and allow me to restore the images.  NOW, Windows crashes and I can NOT boot to windows at all.

How do I get to my images to enable me to restore them?

Again if I read the help files correctly, it says to make a recovery CD disk, but I do NOT see any way to do this other than creating images on a CD or DVD disk.  Is that correct or not?

If there is no way to do this, then as far as I am concerned Ghost 9 is a useless piece of garbage and I will go back to Ghost 2003.

From my experiences with Ghost 2003, trying to create images on CDs was a waste of time.  It normally required 5-6 CDRWs and in all the times I tried, I dont think I ever got a full set that was good.  This is why I much prefer to boot from a recovery disk and then restore from images on the hard drive.

I hope this clarifys what I am trying to accomplish.
Thank You

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #3 - Dec 30th, 2004 at 1:53pm

Using Ghost 9.0, you can easily create images of C: and D: and store those images (.v2i files) on E:.  In the event of a PC failure, you can then boot into the Recovery Environment (using the Recovery CD), access the image files on E:, and restore C: and/or D:.  Note that there is no need whatsoever to use the Recovery Environment during the normal day-to-day activity of making backups, although it is obviously wise to verify that your PC will boot into the Recovery Environment before an actual need to do so arises.

Norton SystemWorks 2005 Premier includes a "Symantec Recovery Disk" (CD) in addition to the product CD.  There is no need to “make a recovery disk.”  If your box didn’t include the recovery CD, you’re missing what should have been therein.

If C:, D:, and E: are all partitions on one hard disk drive, you might want to consider an alternative destination other than E: for your C: and D: image files.  If the hard disk fails, you’ll loose not only C: and D:, but also the ability to restore those partitions because the images file on E: will obviously be inaccessible.

If you want to create image files on optical media, the best (i.e., fastest) method is to first store them on a hard disk partition (with an appropriate 'split size') and then copy them onto discs.  For myself, I send the image files to an external hard disk drive with a split size of 2048Mb, and then copy those image files onto DVD+RW discs for off-site storage.  Note:  The system index file (.sv2i) file should be copied onto the first disc in a multiple disc set (see pages 36-37 in the Norton Ghost 9.0 User’s Guide).

IP Logged

fawny1
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Dec 31st, 2004 at 7:40pm

Darn Symantec is getting on my nerves.

Quote:
Norton SystemWorks 2005 Premier includes a "Symantec Recovery Disk" (CD) in addition to the product CD.

The Recovery Disk was NOT in the box.

One more question then, if I ghost C-drive on a DVD disk and D-drive on a DVD disk, will those disks allow me to restore if Windows should crash and not boot without having the Recovery Disk?

Thank you

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #5 - Jan 1st, 2005 at 3:56pm

Unfortunately, even with image files saved on DVD discs, you'll still need to first boot into the Recovery Environment using the Symantec Recovery Disk (CD).  Therefore, in the circumstance in which Windows will not boot, you will indeed need the Symantec Recovery Disk (CD) in order to access the saved image files on your DVD discs and thereby restore your C: and D: partitions.

You should contact Symantec or the store from which you purchased Norton SystemWorks 2005 Premier in order to get a replacement copy of the Symantec Recovery Disk (CD).

IP Logged

fawny1
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Jan 1st, 2005 at 6:57pm

Thank you very much

I took everything back to the store I got it from and at first they did not believe the recovery disk was not with program disk.   They opened every box they still had and NOT a single one had the recovery disk.

They took my purchase back and refunded my money.  I guess I will have to make the purchase somewhere else and check before leaving that the recovery disk is there.

IP Logged

texdawg
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Jan 2nd, 2005 at 10:20am

For the Norton Ghost 9.0 stand alone product you only get one CD.  That one CD serves as both your installation CD and your recovery CD.

For NSW 2005 Premier you get two CDs.  One for NSW 2005 and the second one is your recovery CD.

Go to Symantec's web site and download the PDF userguide for Ghost 9.0 and read it.  The same userguide was also on your CD.

The userguide specifically mentions that you get 1 cd with the stand alone produce and 2 cds with the NSW 2005 suite.

I believe you can also download a file from Symantec from which you can create a recovery CD.

IP Logged

fawny1
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - Jan 3rd, 2005 at 12:52pm

I took your advice and downloaded the users guide for ghost probably should have got the one for NSW 2005 Premier also.

Quote:
I believe you can also download a file from Symantec from which you can create a recovery CD.

I did every search I knew of and read every FAQ about Ghost 9.0 and if there is a file to download to creat a recovery disk, I could not find it.  If you have a url for that file, I surely would appreciate you posting it.

Thanks for the help, it is greatly appreciated

IP Logged

fawny1
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #9 - Jan 3rd, 2005 at 1:06pm

LOL back again with another serious question.

On one of my Hard Drives, I installed NSW 2005 Premier as a custom install and did not install Ghost.  It was fairly belligerent, but it did as I asked.  I then used my old Ghost 2003 disk and installed it.

It seems to work fine except when I go to update NSW 2005 Premier.  Ghost is always listed as having an update, but when I try to update it, it will not install the updates for ghost and and locks up the system.

I can uncheck the ghost update and install any other updates, until only the update for ghost iremains.  Then selecting the ghost update, results in the same thing.  It will NOT update ghost and locks up the pc.

Got any ideas  Roll Eyes

Thanks again

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #10 - Jan 3rd, 2005 at 2:40pm

I am unaware that you can "download a file from Symantec from which you can create a recovery CD."  If anyone has further information about this, please post a note.

Fawny1, you do have the PREMIER version of Norton SystemWorks 2005 - right?  Only the Premier version contains Ghost 9.0 as well as the Symantec Recovery Disk (CD).  I purchased my copy of Norton SystemWorks 2005 Premier at Best Buy in November, 2004, and it contained the two CDs just as expected.  The problems you are encountering are not related to Ghost 9.0 per se, but to the unfortunate experience of not receiving a properly boxed product.

IP Logged

texdawg
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #11 - Jan 3rd, 2005 at 3:43pm

I saw this about 2 months ago but since it didn't apply to me I didn't have to download it and don't remember the specifics.  However, like other things with Symantec, the information could have been in error.

IP Logged

fawny1
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #12 - Jan 3rd, 2005 at 10:58pm

Pleonasm

Quote:
I am unaware that you can "download a file from Symantec from which you can create a recovery CD."  If anyone has further information about this, please post a note.

Roll Eyes I agree with that totally.

Yes I have the PREMIER version of Norton SystemWorks 2005 from a local pc shop.  They said they have contacted Symantec to resolve the issue, but knowing Symantec, this will not be a fast process. I have only had to deal with them one time before and at the very least it was flustrating. LOL in fact i don't remember the issue ever being resolved.

Don't get me wrong I like their products.  I have used Nortons antivirus products since I bought my first pc.  I know that Ghost v9.0 is a variation from the old Drive Image program that Symantec bought.   It was not very good as Drive Image and changing it's name to Ghost is probably not going to improve it.  Ghost 2003 was <and still is> an excellent product as long as it is still being supported.

IP Logged

texdawg
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #13 - Jan 4th, 2005 at 8:55am

As far as Ghost 2003 is concerned you can contact Symantec's support and still find tons of questions and answers.

For a most excellent source of help from fine folks who have extensive experience with Ghost 2003 then stay with this forum.  Radified's Ghost primer is excellent. And almost every story here comes to a good ending.  Pescador, for example, is a great help for users that have USB problems. 

Usually the problems we run across are procedural where someone overlooks a step in the process or misinterprets Symantec's "crystal clear" documentation.  When a little help from friends and problem can be beaten into submission.

IP Logged

fawny1
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #14 - Jan 6th, 2005 at 11:01am

Shocked  Now I am really confused on this recovery disk thing.  Until I get my own factory recovery disk I borrowed a friends recovery disk which is from the same package that I purchased originally.

I put the recovery disk into the cdrom and restarted.  At the prompt, I clicked on boot from CD and it did.  What I got was totally unexpected <so whats new Roll Eyes>.

After booting, what I had was the interface for Ghost 2003.  If anyone has used the Ghost v9.0 recovery disk, is this what it should be?  It seems totally unreal that Symantec would use and old interface for a new piece of software.

HELP Please !!!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print