Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Ghost image and STOLEN computer - please CLARIFY. (Read 137841 times)
Pleonasm

Re: Ghost image and STOLEN computer - please CLARI
Reply #45 - Jan 13th, 2006 at 11:37am

Additionally, the VMware P2V Assistant may be a product that could assist in migrating one PC to another.

Quote:
VMware P2V Assistant is an enterprise-class migration tool that transforms an image of an existing physical system into a VMware virtual machine. This easy-to-use market-proven tool enables fast and reliable physical to virtual machine migration for heterogeneous Windows systems ranging from Windows NT 4 to Windows Server 2003.

Source:  http://www.vmware.com/products/p2v/

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #46 - Jan 31st, 2006 at 3:37pm

Interestingly, the Symantec article “Ghost compatibility between computers that have different hardware” (Document ID 1998120509305125) says:

Quote:
In most cases, hardware compatibility between the source and destination computers is not a problem with a Ghost image. Normally, devices that cause these problems will be those that need drivers installed. These include video cards, sound cards, modems, network interfaces, or other similar devices. If they are different on the destination computer than they are on the source computer, most versions of Windows automatically detect this difference and make the appropriate changes.

If the devices are not automatically detected by Windows and there appears to be a conflict, uninstall the conflicting devices and restart the computer. Windows should now automatically detect the appropriate hardware.

Source:
  http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/docid/1998120509305125&src=w

IP Logged

cardinal23
Nuclear Grade

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #47 - Jan 31st, 2006 at 4:24pm

Wow, wow, wow, wow, wow!  Thanks again, Pheonasm.  If Symantec is correct, this is great news, and what I (naively) assumed in the very beginning.  Thanks for staying with this and notifying the thread about this.  David

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #48 - Apr 13th, 2006 at 11:09am

The Microsoft article How to Move a Windows XP Installation to Different Hardware will be of interest to readers of this thread.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

cardinal23
Nuclear Grade

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #49 - Apr 25th, 2006 at 3:50pm

The prior link is to the article as English with some  German(?) mixed in.  I never found an all English version.  df

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #50 - Apr 25th, 2006 at 3:59pm

cardinal23 wrote on Apr 25th, 2006 at 3:50pm:
(The notion of 'droppong' a drive into another machine still intrigues me and has been addressd quite completely in this article.) 

I'll provide details soon but I've restored an image from a Dell Optiplex to three different computers. A Dell T450, a Dell L667 and a Gateway P4 1.3 mHZ. The OS and programs worked just like the original computer. It can be done.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #51 - Apr 25th, 2006 at 6:43pm

Brian

I'm impressed--and waiting for your report!

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #52 - Apr 26th, 2006 at 5:20am

See

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11460...

Edited:
Edited 4/4/2009 by NightOwl--above link no longer works--here's the updated link:

Restoring an image to a different computer

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #53 - Aug 4th, 2006 at 8:38pm

Added a link in the guide to this thread, in reference to restoring an image to/from a *different* computer .. at the bottom of this page:

http://ghost.radified.com/ghost_3.htm

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #54 - Jan 24th, 2007 at 11:11am

Readers of this thread may also be interested in:  Universal Imaging Utility.

IP Logged

cardinal23
Nuclear Grade

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #55 - Feb 21st, 2007 at 9:05am

Hi all,

What Symantec Ghost Solution Suite?  How does it differ from Norton Ghost?

I started this thread to learn about restoring an image to a different computer (because the original computer was STOLEN.)  Am I correct that Symantec Ghost Solution Suite does this?

In summary: What simply is Symantec Ghost Solution Suite  and how does it differ from Norton Ghost.  Thank you

IP Logged

kd6aaj
Dude

I think I can, I think
I can...

California, USA

Reply #56 - May 17th, 2007 at 12:33am

I don't know if you could use the Ghost image from one setup and use it on a different setup.

I have successfully activated XP Home SP2 on a different machine than the original. Same OEM key. The only thing they had in common was they both have AMD processors; one is an Athlon Xp3000+ with VIA chipset, the other is an Athlon 64 X2 3800+ dual-core with nVidia chipset.

I've read that If it has been MORE than a few months, it is more likely to succeed.

My theory is XP Home OEM may have more leeway. I've been told that you can do it maybe 2 or 3 times before failure.

In my Windows 98 days I have done the arduous task of moving a hard drive form one machine to a totally different PC. Requires the Win98 CD to udate the drivers durring the found new hardware wizard.

In XP, I Don't know. I think XP would lock you out. Maybe I'll test it some time  :<). I have old drives I like to test on.
I just install an OS and go to town seeing how far I can push it before a crash.

If it crashes, oh well. I just wipe the drive and install the NORMAL drive.

IP Logged

cardinal23
Nuclear Grade

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Ghost image and STOLEN computer - please CLARIFY.
Reply #57 - Jan 10th, 2008 at 12:45pm

It's been a long time since I posted this question and many, many replies have been posted. 

Has a particular procedure emerged?
Can I restore a Ghost image to a different computer?
Just today, a client's computer died (probably a motherbard problem).  He has a Ghost image but we'll need a new computer.

How can I (can I?) restore this Ghost image onto the new computer?
I guess I should read these posts again, more carefully - but I'm taking a lazy approach.
Has anyone done this lately?
Sorry for my laziness.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #58 - Jan 10th, 2008 at 3:35pm

Cardinal23, it may or not may not assist you in your current circumstances, but I can report that I have restored a backup image to dissimilar hardware - namely, to a virtual machine (VMware Workstation 6.0) with hardware characteristics different from the PC upon which the image was based.  I used the “hardware independent restore” capability of ShadowProtect Dekstop 3.0, and it does in fact work.  I believe that Symantec’s Backup Exec System Recovery (aka the ‘corporate’ version of Norton Ghost 12) has similar functionality, too.

Please post your experiences in this thread, describing how you approached and solved your problem.

IP Logged

cardinal23
Nuclear Grade

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #59 - Jan 10th, 2008 at 3:46pm

Pleonasm wrote on Jan 10th, 2008 at 3:35pm:
but I can report that I have restored a backup image to dissimilar hardware - namely, to a virtual machine (VMware Workstation 6.0) with hardware characteristics different from the PC upon which the image was based.  I used the “hardware independent restore” capability of ShadowProtect Dekstop 3.0, and it does in fact work.  

I don't want to use Symantec’s Backup Exec System Recovery.
Can you tell me a bit about ShadowProtect Dekstop 3.0?  What is that?  Is that a competitor to Norton Ghost?

Thank you.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print