Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
repartion from XP on new HDD (Read 53020 times)
dcgilbert
Gnarly

I luv a steep learning
curve!

Re: repartion from XP on new HDD
Reply #30 - Sep 1st, 2006 at 9:57am

Good Morning Ghost4me,  Sorry I didn't respond sooner, brain went on overload yesterday, so I called it a day.  New day and as you can see I'm still able to communicate.  I checked Disk Man. in My Computer it now shows:
1. (blank)     basic,FAT,Healthy,31mg,27mg free
2. (C:)         basic NTFS, "  "  ,29.29gb,27,4gb free
3. (G:)         basic NTSF, "  "  ,82.46gb,82.4gb free

Hello Brian,  I have been looking for a screen shot of an A01 BIOS setup screen, as on mine i can't find "advanced". I think this one is more primitive than the you are describing or I don't  know what to look for,or I'm in the wrong screen.   I will check out the Dell support site and read up on A08.    David

P.S.  http://www.computerhope.com/help/phoenix.htm#02  
Found this on Google.  It's phoenix, but it doesn't look like the screen I see when I hit F2 or F12 at logo.  Mine looks like a DOS  BIOS screen.
P.P.S. 2:48PM   EUREKA!  Here's an example of my Bios screen    
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4550/syssetup.htm#1097056

Brian is this what you're thinking about when you were describing the Right Arrow/F10 operation, in reply #27?
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&...

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #31 - Sep 1st, 2006 at 4:20pm

David,

We are certainly in different time zones. I'm just out of bed.

Your first link is the BIOS I saw yesterday but unfortunately it's not yours.
The third link is not what we want to do.

The second link I assume is your BIOS. For Primary drive 0, in the right column it should say, Hard Drive.  If that's so then press F10 and if there is a message to Save something, press Enter for Yes. Does this make a difference?

What happens if you don't press F2 at the end of the Dell scroll bar. Does the computer boot to Windows if you wait a few minutes?

I think your old BIOS is the problem. I suspect that the Ghost copy was fine and hopefully after a BIOS update your computer will be fine too. I understand your reluctance to upgrade the BIOS but the chance of something going wrong is very low.

Go to this page http://supportapj.dell.com/support/topics/topic.aspx/ap/shared/support/en/produc...

Type in your Service Tag number
Press the arrow just to the right
Under Downloads and Drivers, press More Details
Under Select an Operating System, select Windows XP
Click Find Downloads
Click FlashBIOS updates
Click Dell Dimension System BIOS
Click R67246.exe
You should now be on the download page for Dimension 4550 A08 FlashBIOS
Click Download Now
Save it to your usual download folder
After the download has completed, find R67246.exe, double click it and follow instructions. Your computer will reboot and just wait for the process to finish and boot back to Windows.

Let us know the outcome. Any questions?

We'll fix the login screen shortly.

IP Logged

dcgilbert
Gnarly

I luv a steep learning
curve!

Reply #32 - Sep 1st, 2006 at 5:01pm

Hello Brian,  I'm in Southern Louisiana., USA.  When I boot up,tomorrow morning, (14+hrs from now) I'll see if it finally boots to Windows without intervention.  But I don't think it will.  Memory of the first time after copy is a blur.  I will follow instruction and report back.  In the meantime, have a wonderful day.     David

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #33 - Sep 1st, 2006 at 5:05pm

Want to try it now?

IP Logged

dcgilbert
Gnarly

I luv a steep learning
curve!

Reply #34 - Sep 2nd, 2006 at 12:54pm

Good Morning,  As Brian suggested, I booted the Dell and waited to see what would happen if Ijust left it allow.  50 seconds past and a prompt came up saying "Unable to find primary ddrive 1.  hit F1 to continue, hit F2 to enter set up."  I entered the set up menu, toogled down to primary drive 1, reset it to off, saved and exited, and continued to boot.  windows loaded and I restarted.  ten seconds later the machine was booting to Windows.  Problem solved! 
Could it be that a cable select BIOS doesn't want to be in AUTO if there is no drive in that slot?  I've turned the Dell off to reposition it on it's shelf and get every thing plugged in again, and it is booting as normal.  Now the next problem to solve is bypassing of the Log in Menu.  But that's small potatoes.   I'm a hsppy camper.   David

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #35 - Sep 2nd, 2006 at 3:20pm

David, that's very ingenious. You have learnt a lot in the last week.

OK, let's look at the login screen problem. When you installed Ghost, were you asked to install Microsoft .NET Framework? It doesn't matter if you can't recall.

Have a look in Control Panel, then open Add or Remove Programs. In my list I have...

Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Hotfix (KB886903)
Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0

Which of these programs are in your list?

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #36 - Sep 2nd, 2006 at 3:51pm

David,

Have you updated your Dell BIOS yet?

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

dcgilbert
Gnarly

I luv a steep learning
curve!

Reply #37 - Sep 2nd, 2006 at 4:36pm

Brian, These have been loaded:
MS.NET Framework (English) v1.0.3705
MS.NET Framework 1.0 Hotfix  (KB886906)
MS.NET Framework 1.1                       Size  36.15mb 

Hello Ghost4me,  No, I'm still getting comfortable with the idea of flashing my BIOS.  Is there any way to copy the current BIOS so that I can have a plan B, as Murphy lives under chair?       David

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #38 - Sep 2nd, 2006 at 4:48pm

Well that idea didn't work.

Go to this page and download TweakUI.exe. Then install.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

From Control Panel go to User Accounts. Select your account and create a simple password eg    d

Now, Start Menu, All Programs, Power Toys, Tweak UI
Click the + next to Logon
Click Autologon
Type in your username and password. OK or save (whatever)
Click OK to exit TweakUI and you shouldn't see the login screen again.

What's next in your project?

IP Logged

dcgilbert
Gnarly

I luv a steep learning
curve!

Reply #39 - Sep 2nd, 2006 at 5:13pm

Brian, I've got the Tweak loaded.  In the user acc'ts, 3 are
showing: 1. My Admin acc't Name, (no password needed) 2. User acc't (off) and this third one that, I think showed up fter loading Ghost   3. ASP.NET Macchine A........(limited acc't)
Which acc't do you want me to access?  And can you have a one letter password?  Better yet, Can number 3 be closed or made to go away?  I know, dumb questions.    David

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #40 - Sep 2nd, 2006 at 9:23pm

Not a dumb question. Keep all three accounts. You need to open your Admin account and give it a password otherwise TweakUI doesn't work. Give it any password you like but a single letter is OK as you aren't looking for security.

You are almost there. The ASP.NET account is present because you haven't got the latest version of  Microsoft .NET Framework but don't worry about that at present.

Does your new HD seem to be working properly now?

IP Logged

dcgilbert
Gnarly

I luv a steep learning
curve!

Reply #41 - Sep 3rd, 2006 at 10:51am

Good Morning Brian,  Last question first: Yes, thanks to you, Ghost4me, and your friends, this sucker is booting normally now.  I have a functioning 120GB HDD and didn't have to spend a solid week online, downloading MS Updates.
I checked the Symantec site for an answer about  "info 60BB0031" and cylinder 1024  but no luck.  I'm hoping that issue doesn't jump up and bite me, you know where.
Stop the presses!   Ya know what.  I am trying to remember, when I booted uo this morning; I don't remember having to deal with the log in screen.  I hit the ON button, on the front of the Dell and went to the bathroom.  when I came back there was the desk top.  Last night I downloaded a 10.6mb SP1 for MS.NET from the MS update site.  I just checked the add/remove list, nothing has changed with respect to MS.NET except the 36.15mb size is no longer listed.  I'll post this and reboot just to see what's going on.  Be back soon.    David

IP Logged

dcgilbert
Gnarly

I luv a steep learning
curve!

Reply #42 - Sep 3rd, 2006 at 11:15am

Update:  For what it's worth, the MS.NET SP1 solved the log on problem.  The ASP acc't is no longer listed in user acc'ts and the log on screen is history.  I have absolutely nothing to complain about now.
Will you folks help me make an image of these new partitions on my Maxtor USB Ext. drive.           David

IP Logged

bankrupt
Ex Member

Reply #43 - Sep 3rd, 2006 at 1:08pm

John. wrote on Aug 28th, 2006 at 3:32pm:
Trying downloading and installing the latest version of Acrobat Adobe Reader.  I believe it is 7.08.  After updating Reader, then try the ftp link again.

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

Hi guys, this is tangential to the discussion topic, but I see there are some problems with opening the pdf file linked to at the beginning of the topic.  I've been using a pdf reader called Foxit Reader by Foxit Software after reading favorable reviews of it in Maximum PC and PC World magazines.  I've found it to be much faster than using Adobe Acrobat which everyone knows can take forever to load.  Here is a short online review of it at PC World.  I thought I'd share it with you guys.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #44 - Sep 3rd, 2006 at 3:03pm

dcgilbert wrote on Sep 3rd, 2006 at 11:15am:
Update:  For what it's worth, the MS.NET SP1 solved the log on problem.  The ASP acc't is no longer listed in user acc'ts and the log on screen is history.  I have absolutely nothing to complain about now.
Will you folks help me make an image of these new partitions on my Maxtor USB Ext. drive.           David

There were two ways to get rid of the login screen.   .NET SP1 update and TweakUI. Good work.

In Reply #22 I outlined how to make a recovery point. Try that now. After the recovery point has been created on the G drive, copy it to the external HD using My Computer. For the exercise do it this way rather than writing directly to the external HD. Some people have described problems with a direct write.

Now you need to confirm that your Recovery Environment works and that you can see the recovery point. Have the USB HD connected before booting to the RE. Page 93 in the manual etc. Naturally we don't want to restore the recovery point. When you start the Recovery Environment it will search for recovery points but it won't find the one on the external HD as it wasn't created there. You need to click Open Another location and browse to the recovery point. Once you find it, get out of the Recovery Environment.

Good luck.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print