Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Laptop Cloning headaches NG 9..ready to give up!! (Read 47251 times)
Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Laptop Cloning headaches NG 9..ready to give u
Reply #30 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 5:38am

Mack,

I’m off to bed shortly and I assume that you are running the clone process at present. I hope it succeeds. If it doesn’t then Dan’s suggestion is the next step. You only need to read on if the clone failed.

Start Ghost 9 and operate from the Basic window (the blue one). Click BackUp Drives and use the Wizard. Choose your C: drive and make the backup location the 50 GB NTFS data drive on the external HD.
choose High Compression (with USB 1, image creation time will be shorter)
tick Verify backup image after creation
don’t tick Divide the backup image into smaller files
don’t click Advanced

It will take 10 to 15+ hours to create the image depending on how much data you were able to move out of the C: drive.

I’ll be interested to hear what stage you are at, tomorrow. 

IP Logged

Mackjazz
Dude

It's our " - " btwn birth
& death yrs. that count!

Reply #31 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 11:56am

BIOS:  I finally found that I had to go to a site called e-support.  After doing the online diagnosis they indicated they would get back to me in 24 hrs.  Well I decided last night not to wait and so began the moving of data files to the 80gb.  That was half of my old drive, ha.  It did assign without my help the drive letter F:  This morning I got done with that.  Now I have began the copying of the C: to the 80gb, it's about 1/2 into it, using my installed NG 9.

I checked only:
Ck source for file sys errors
ck dest. for file sys errors
resize dirve to fill unallocated
set drive active (for starting OS)
destination type (primary)
copy mbr

I DID NOT assign a drive letter and I did delete the primary partition that I had made (30gb) so that the copying is presently going into an unallocated space.

Mack

What's next  ???

IP Logged

Mackjazz
Dude

& death yrs. that count!

Reply #32 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 12:11pm

I just found this info on page 93 of the NG 9 manual.  Since I did check this box (Copy MBR) and yet I did make a data partition already and move data, I wonder if this could have been and will be again a problem for me in making the new 80gb boot once I install it in the laptop?

Thoughts?  Brian, Dan...............

Copy MBR

Copy the master boot record
from the source drive to the
destination drive. Select this
option if you are copying the
C:\ drive to a new, empty hard
drive. You should not select
this option if you are copying a
drive to another space on the
same hard drive as a backup
or if you are copying the drive
to a hard drive with existing
partitions that you will not be
replacing. Additionally, if you
are copying multiple drives to
a new, empty hard drive, you
only need to select this option
once.

Mack

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #33 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 12:57pm

Mackjazz wrote on Nov 1st, 2006 at 11:56am:
"... What's next  ??? ..."

I have a Toyota 4WD KingCab pickup truck which I operate in two separate and distinct modes:
  • (1)  When my load is light and the roadway is level for cruising, I keep the hubs of the front wheels unlocked and the transfer case in the default high-range setting albeit totally disengaged so only the rear wheels are driving.
  • (2)  When faced with pulling a heavily laden boat trailer up a steep ramp, I dismount to lock the front wheel hubs and then remount to engage the transfer case while dropping into the low-range setting that ensures all four wheels will be pulling with maximum torque.
Using the above for an analogy, it seems to me that the wrong mode for the particular task at hand has been chosen.  Either Norton Ghost 2003 or Ghost Ver 8.2 running in a Windows Preinstalled Environment could have accomplished this unique job cleanly in a single pass while virtually "running-on-autopilot".

Oh, well - Chacun à son gout.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #34 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 1:15pm

Mack,

Excellent. All your choices are correct. Symantec's wording on the MBR is convoluted but Copy MBR is what I've always chosen.

IP Logged

Mackjazz
Dude

& death yrs. that count!

Reply #35 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 1:55pm

WELL FOLKS...........................

It took just over an hour this time to make the copy (clone).  I then shut everything down without any other changes, exchanged dirves, fired it up and WA LLLL AAAAAAAA............ everything came up perfect and it seems to work perfect.  I went in and checked email etc, then I shut it down and rebooted just to make sure.  So far so good.

Couple of observations:

The first time although it went through the black check screen super fast, as well as the blue screen to the desktop it was there that it took about 5 times as long to bring up my icons and be finished with the total loading.  However the second boot was fast on everything.  This drive is quieter but has a high pitched whine, but beggers should not be choosy Smiley

For quite awhle after the first boot was complete my cpu ran at 100% and I noticed that one of the several svchosts was using 80 to 90%.  The second reboot things seem more normal.

Couple of questions:

Can I use PM to resize my new C:  If so what would be a good recommendation for the sys size?  Also if and when I do this can I then use the extra space for my data partition which is NTFS?  Is it okay to have the C: a FAT32 and the D: NTFS?

My new data drive was assigned F and I normally use one of my external drives for F: (and I reallly need to continue doing so due to flle tracking and scanning) so can I use computer management to change the Data drive to D: ?  Any bad side effects?
I think I should do this sooner than later.

I also need to make an image of this new drive and intall on my old 40gb C: which of course will wipe out what is there now and I believe it has been suggested (Brian) that I leave the D: (old 40gb) DISE_BACKUP alone which I concur.  What are the suggested steps to do this?  What about making a restore point at this juncture?

Lastly Kudos to the gang who has helped me in all of this:

Namely:
Brian
Dan (your site is an awesome resource)
EP (The X got my several Suburban's w/manual hubs long ago:)
Ben
...... other's who indirectly contributed.

Kindly,
Mack

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #36 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 2:26pm

What a relief. I was a bit concerned after reading Dan's comments about cloning to an external HD but fortunately it worked anyway. Congratulations.

Quote:
Can I use PM to resize my new C:  If so what would be a good recommendation for the sys size?

Yes. How much used space do you expect to have on your C: drive when it has been "cleaned up"?

Quote:
Also if and when I do this can I then use the extra space for my data partition which is NTFS?  Is it okay to have the C: a FAT32 and the D: NTFS? 

Yes.

Quote:
can I use computer management to change the Data drive to D: ?  Any bad side effects?

Yes. No.

Quote:
I also need to make an image of this new drive and intall on my old 40gb C: which of course will wipe out what is there now and I believe it has been suggested (Brian) that I leave the D: (old 40gb) DISE_BACKUP alone which I concur.  What are the suggested steps to do this?  What about making a restore point at this juncture?

Using PM I'd delete the C: drive on the old HD and create a NTFS partition. See my reply #30. Make a backup image, writing the image to the NTFS partition on the old HD.

Once you have a backup image it will be safe for you to think about the FAT32 to NTFS conversion (when you have the time). Make sure you do FAT32 4K aligned before the conversion. It's explained in the PM Help file.

A pleasure to work with you.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #37 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 2:56pm

Mack, slight change of plan if you haven't already started. Write the image of your new HD C: drive to your new HD data drive and copy it (not move) to the NTFS partition on the old HD (using Windows Explorer) after you delete the old C: drive. Just belt and braces until you are fully set up.

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #38 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 3:38pm

Brian wrote:
"I was a bit concerned after reading Dan's comments about cloning to an external HD but fortunately it worked anyway."

Direct cloning is not always a problem, and it is faster because it's one step instead of two, so use it when it works.  But while restoring from an image to an internal primary master HDD is drop-dead reliable, working with external HDDs introduces extra variables.  And not all of them do things exactly the same way--witness, for example, EP's work elsewhere sorting through USB drivers, or the discussion in another thread about flash drives.

In practice, I generally make a first attempt at direct cloning, but if it doesn't work I revert to image/restore for the second attempt.  Usually the first attempt works, but if it doesn't I don't want to spend 10 hours troubleshooting why, just to save an hour on the actual operation.

IP Logged

Mackjazz
Dude

& death yrs. that count!

Reply #39 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 3:42pm

The C drive is pretty clean.  I moved the big data files already which took just over half of the 30gb on C.  I use this computer for work etc but I can't imagine needing more than 10 more gigs for additional program space.   I would say 20 or 25gb tops would be all I need for my sys C.  What I wanted to know is if there was a philosphy out there about the sys drive size?  Should it be as small as possible, doesn't matter or what?

Data will always grow which is why I like the larger D drive.  Plus I Dj and although I use 2 very large firewire ext drives (over 200gb) I like to have a solid core of good music kept on the D: data drive just in case I have an ext hd issue while working.

I have not started the transfer and image so I will go ahead and do as you said in your last note.  I did go back and read #30 but I am not sure aobut the setting of usb 1.  Is that a reference to usb transfer?  If so I use firewire as my puter does not have usb 2.0.  If not I will follow and disregard my question.

About how much space do you suppose this image will take or be?  My new D: data drive has about 29gb open.  And will the image be only of my new C:  What about a backup image of my new D: which is now housing my important data?  To me its even more important than my sys image.

I do understand that its temp as I will be copying it over to the old 40gb.  You mentioned to delete I think the old C: and make it a NTFS.  After doing all this what about the image now on the new D: data drive?  Am I leaving it so I have 2 copies?

thx bunches
Mack

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #40 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 3:47pm

Now that it's over I can confess. Mack wanted to make a clone and I helped out. With my computers I do what Dan suggests. I restore from images. My clones (and I've made dozens without a problem) have only been made in test situations. I prefer restoring images because that's what you have to do if there is a hard drive failure. And when I want to upgrade a HD, I already have a series of images of the previous OS.

IP Logged

ben_mott
Nuclear Grade

Reply #41 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 3:54pm

thanks for all that information
just a word of advise keep that 40 Gb HDD safe
do not go fdisking it  you never know when it can come handy.

another question do you  still see the message at boot up saying
press F10(F11) to recover (for few seconds  like what you used to get with the 40 Gb drive ???

Good luck and regards Ben
Smiley

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #42 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 4:04pm

Mack, I didn't know that you had other external HDs. Use them to store the image instead of your old HD. They are likely to be faster too. Forget my comments on USB if you have Firewire. Make the compression "Normal" instead of "High". Image size is roughly 60% of the amount of used space on the C: drive.

OS partitions should be small so your images will be small. Your OS should never be more than 85% used space so take it from there.

Regarding backing up the new data drive. Don't use images.

http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/notes.htm#13

Use a data backup app. I use SecondCopy 7.

The two images are temporary. When you have the new C: drive as NTFS then delete the image from your new data drive. It's just there for convenience if you need to restore your C: drive in the event of an "accident".

IP Logged

Mackjazz
Dude

& death yrs. that count!

Reply #43 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 4:56pm

The only things I see (Ben) are the F1 and F2 options at the beginning of the black screen which is the same that I saw on the old 40gb.  I don't remember a F10 but perhaps that could be due to my using NGo back?

So it sounds like I should just keep the old 40gb as it is (now that it has alot less data on it) just for a backup of my main stuff in case of a hd failure of the new 80gb correct?

But do make an image of the new C and store it temp in the D, then convert C from FAT to NTFS, then delete the image on D, then create a new image of C and store on one of my 2 big arger ext drives?  Although I have literally thousands of songs for my bus. I am sure I have space for this image.

One point I am not clear on.  I have the new C with the OS and all my programs and a D with just all my data.  Is that preferred or should my programs be somewhere else?  Perhaps on another partition?

I assume I am making an image of the whole C which would include all my programs etc.?

And is it prefered to change the small FAT32 to NTFS even now that it is smaller?  And will I still be able to resize the extra space saved on C to my data drive?  Sorry for the detailed questions?

Thanks Brian for the tip on how best to make my data copies.  I use to have mirrored hd for my music and now as time goes by I dont but it sounds like this program will greatly help me in this as well as my current needs.

Mack

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #44 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 5:12pm

Mack,

Quote:
So it sounds like I should just keep the old 40gb as it is (now that it has alot less data on it) just for a backup of my main stuff in case of a hd failure of the new 80gb correct?

Yes, that's fine.

Quote:
  I have the new C with the OS and all my programs and a D with just all my data.  Is that preferred or should my programs be somewhere else?  Perhaps on another partition?

Your present setup if fine. Same as mine.

Quote:
I assume I am making an image of the whole C which would include all my programs etc.?

Yes. Analogous to the clone you just made.

Quote:
And is it prefered to change the small FAT32 to NTFS even now that it is smaller?  And will I still be able to resize the extra space saved on C to my data drive? 

I can't answer the convert question. You will certainly be able to use PM to resize your partitions.

http://www.centered.com/download.html

I love this app. Everything is done automatically for you. It keeps the backup the same as the source.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print