Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Laptop Cloning headaches NG 9..ready to give up!! (Read 47248 times)
Mackjazz
Dude

It's our " - " btwn birth
& death yrs. that count!

Re: Laptop Cloning headaches NG 9..ready to give u
Reply #45 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 6:19pm

Dan,

If you are still monitoring this thread would you please give your opiinion on the advantages or prefered reasons to change a say 20gb hd FAT32 (C: w/OS ) to NTFS or not?  I am not sure if I should or should not make my FAT32 C the same format as my larger D: NTFS.

thx
Mack

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #46 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 8:43pm

"...change a say 20gb hd FAT32 (C: w/OS ) to NTFS or not?"

On paper, the journaling file system of NTFS is supposed to be more robust and less error-prone that a FAT (FAT12/16/32) file system.  (My experience over the past few years is that the difference is slight, but real.)  Advantage: NTFS.

The overhead in managing the NTFS file system can be significant in small volume sizes.  (That's one reason why you don't see NTFS flash drives.)  Advantage: FAT32

FAT32 cluster sizes balloon as the size of the volume increases.  Large clusters are quite inefficient at storing small files.  On a volume with lots of small files, such as you'll find in the windows and system32 directories, a 32KB cluster size could waste 30% of your disk space.  (That's why Microsoft's tools--fdisk and diskpart--discourage the user from creating FAT32 volumes larger than 32GB.  Technically, it's allowed, but practically, it's too inefficient.)  Advantage: NTFS.

FAT32 volumes are accessible from the most recent DOS operating systems.  Advantage: depends on whether you're a techie who does that sort of thing.

The FAT32 file system is an industry-wide standard, so is supported by numerous third-party utilities.  NTFS is proprietary, and I don't think Microsoft has ever fully published the specs.  (I suspect third-party tools that support NTFS have done a lot of reverse-engineering to figure out how NTFS works.)  Advantage: FAT32.

Bottom line: FAT32 is fine for small partition sizes, but NTFS is better for larger partitions.

On volumes smaller than 8GB, I generally use FAT32.  On volumes above 16GB, I use NTFS.  On volumes between 8-16GB, I'll use either, depending on whether I need the volume to be visible from DOS.  (Note that 8, 16, and 32 GB are breakpoints where FAT32 cluster sizes change.)

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #47 - Nov 2nd, 2006 at 5:28pm

Mack,

Your first Copy Drive took 18 hours and the successful one took 1 hour. Do you have any theories why the first took so long? I think it was because the C: drive contained 97.5 % used space. Moving files off the C: drive allowed the copy process to proceed at a normal speed.

Dan, is this reasonable?

IP Logged

Mackjazz
Dude

& death yrs. that count!

Reply #48 - Nov 2nd, 2006 at 11:50pm

Hey thanks folks..............

Dan again, you are amazing and everything you said made sense to me.  I suspect in conclusion that the Primary drive usually consists of the OS and programs.  The logical and/or ext drives must house most everything else and thus are generally larger in containment of information.

One of the things I had heard of FAT32 advantage was speed access over NTFS.  I think I read somewhere on the MS site that that was true by about 10 to 20%.

I wonder how many folks out there have C: drives with under 20 gigs of info on them?  If most of us have 15 or more it sounds like NTFS is the way to go.  I also wonder how many folks out there have a C: FAT32 (OS) and a NTFS (data) combo for whatever reason?

If one uses (checked) NTFS with indexing service for fast file search and compressing drive to save space would that in theory cause the NTFS partition a slowness in general drive execution?

To comment on your question Brian my theory is this.  That because I had only a few 100 mbs available for virtual memory (total of 750mb - but I could only use a couple of 100) on the old C:, that caused the executions of cloning to do alot of give and take (I don't know the proper computer techy terms) shuffling, and swapping in order to get the job done.  After I moved the data files and folders as you suggested I went back into the computer virtual memory options and I changed the min and the max(about 800mb) which I theorized would allow the executions more of a straight shoot in processing the copying.  And of course the total size was cut in half (50%).  But that would in theory reduce the time to about 8 or 9 hrs but not down to 1.

Last night I ran Norton Win doc and N Disk doc, Adware, full virus scan and then defraged the C and D.  Today I have run Win doc twice again.  Each time it has found some errors especially since I moved a slug of data files to the D: drive.  On the old machine everything was on the C:

Amazing at how fast the 80 flys now compared to the 40 (and by the way due to budget constraints the specs on both drives are the same - only difference was size increase) when the drive is cleaned and organized.  I needed to test out most of my frequently used programs and data files before I do the image backup, which is what I have been doing today.  Then I plan to defrag again and then do a restore point.  Then the image to one of the large EXT drives for backup.  The jury is still out on whether I will change the C from FAT to NTFS.  I tend to like the arguments of Dan and as I look toward the future, figure my C: drive may reach 20gb in program size which a NTFS would be best (currently the C: is 13.5gb in size, pretty much borderline according to Dan.

Any other comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.  The knowledge all of you gentlemen have so freely shared, I treasure highly and as the concept which I believe in, (PayItForward) it is my wish to help those in the future concerning their upgrading needs and working knowledge to accomplish their tasks themselves.  I am only able to do it because of the time, talents and skills you have generously shared with me.

Gratefully,
Mack

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #49 - Nov 3rd, 2006 at 1:10am

Mack,

Quote:
Amazing at how fast the 80 flys now compared to the 40

That makes the HD upgrade even more worthwhile.

Quote:
The jury is still out on whether I will change the C from FAT to NTFS.  I tend to like the arguments of Dan and as I look toward the future, figure my C: drive may reach 20gb in program size which a NTFS would be best (currently the C: is 13.5gb in size, pretty much borderline according to Dan.

I thought Dan was referring to total partition size, not amount of data.

Quote:
(Note that 8, 16, and 32 GB are breakpoints where FAT32 cluster sizes change.)

So you qualify for NTFS as your total partition size is well over 16 GB. You can do the whole process from Partition Magic (Windows). I did it once, a few years ago. 4K aligned first, then convert. It's great to know that if anything goes wrong, you can just restore an image.

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #50 - Nov 3rd, 2006 at 4:03pm

Mack wrote:
"as I look toward the future, figure my C: drive may reach 20gb in program size which a NTFS would be best (currently the C: is 13.5gb in size, pretty much borderline according to Dan.)"

Brian wrote:
"I thought Dan was referring to total partition size, not amount of data."

Brian is correct.  Cluster size is directly related to the total number of clusters the partition must support, whether those clusters are empty or in use.  The bigger the partition, the bigger the cluster size needs to be to keep the total number of clusters within a managable range.

The amount of wasted space (aka, "slack space") on a partition depends on the actual mix of files stored on the partition.  Large quantities of small files is murder when coupled with a large cluster size.

IP Logged

MadtKrandle
Radmeister

Guess which one's the
Dummy.

Upstate NY

Reply #51 - Nov 5th, 2006 at 12:27am

I can't get my seem to get my programs and system partition under 20 gigs as well...  I always knew NTFS was better for this through trial and error but didn't know WHY....

Once again you folks have educated me; I learn as much in these threads as I do in college, except it's free! and variates in degree.

Thanks to Dan, Mack, Brian and all others for the unfathomable knowledge base.

I just scoured the whole freakin net and Google brought me back here!
IP Logged

Mackjazz
Dude

& death yrs. that count!

Reply #52 - Nov 7th, 2006 at 12:31am

That's great, MadtKrandle you can benefit from this challenge of mine and from the great coaching of Brian, Dan and others in helping  me.

Dan and Brian I have 2 questions:
Since I have 13.5gb of data on C: I think I understand that I should make my C: format NTFS, correct?  I should convert it over from FAT32?

And second, I noticed that WinXP can convert FAT32 to NTFS.  Should I use XP or my Partition Magic to make this conversion?  Does one have a better quality track record over the other?

thx
Mack

PS  One of the reasons why I have not converted yet is because I had 2 gigs this last weekend, one in So Cal and the other in Tempe, AZ with more than 500 customers and I just did not want to take a chance that my computer would have any hicups while entertaining.  Everything did go smoothly with my computer, ext drives, etc, etc.  The only thing that happened was one of the outlets tripped and I lost about 4 minutes of playing time.  Who would have thunk that at the Chicago Cubs Spring Training Hohokum Stadium with commerical 20 amp breakers and outlets that 1/3 of my system would have caused the trip especially since I used three separate circuits at the stadium to run my equipment.  Anyhow thanks for getting me secure before this past big weekend!!!

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #53 - Nov 7th, 2006 at 1:30am

Mack,

Welcome back.

http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/ntfscvt.php

Obviously WinXP can't do the conversion properly on its own. You have to do 4K aligned otherwise you finish with 512 byte clusters. That happened to me on the first run. Then I did the whole process in Partition Magic and it was easy.

IP Logged

Mackjazz
Dude

& death yrs. that count!

Reply #54 - Nov 7th, 2006 at 10:56am

So is there anything tricky in coverting from FAT32 to NTFS using Partition Magic?  Or just follow the prompts and it will guide me through this 4k alignment (which I don't understand), etc, etc?

thx
Mack

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #55 - Nov 7th, 2006 at 12:53pm

Mack, I think it was just a few clicks and wait.

Quote:
To convert FAT/FAT32 to 4K aligned

Select a disk and a FAT/FAT32 partition.

You can see which partitions are labeled FAT or FAT32 by looking at the Type column in the partition list.

Click Partition > Convert.
Click FAT32 (4K aligned).
Click OK.

Quote:
To convert FAT/FAT32 to NTFS (Windows 2000/XP only)

Select a disk and a FAT/FAT32 partition.

You can see which partitions are labeled FAT or FAT32 by looking at the Type column in the partition list.

Click Partition > Convert.
Click NTFS.
Click Yes to continue with the conversion.

Because Windows NT (FAT to NTFS) or Windows 2000/XP (FAT32 to NTFS) performs the conversion, when you click Yes, PartitionMagic automatically applies any pending changes that are listed in the Operations Pending dialog box and exits. The Convert utility is then started.

If you have open files, a message appears indicating that the convert utility cannot gain exclusive access to the hard disk and asks if you want to schedule the conversion the next time the computer restarts. If you type Y, the conversion will automatically take place when you reboot the computer. After typing Y you should close PartitionMagic and manually reboot the computer to complete the conversion.

If you do not have any open files, the Batch Progress dialog box appears. Click OK to return to the PartitionMagic main window. The partition is converted.

IP Logged

Mackjazz
Dude

& death yrs. that count!

Reply #56 - Nov 7th, 2006 at 5:16pm

So am I to understand that its a 2 part process?

1. to go from Fat32 to 4k aligned

2.  Fat32 4k aligned to NTFS

And somewhere in this process do I choose what I want the partition size to be or is that done as a separate process, later?

thx
Mack

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #57 - Nov 7th, 2006 at 8:00pm

Mackjazz wrote on Nov 7th, 2006 at 5:16pm:
So am I to understand that its a 2 part process?

Yes.

Quote:
And somewhere in this process do I choose what I want the partition size to be or is that done as a separate process, later?

Later.

IP Logged

Mackjazz
Dude

& death yrs. that count!

Reply #58 - Nov 8th, 2006 at 10:11am

Great.........

thx again for being a greater 'puter mentor!!

Mack

IP Logged

Mackjazz
Dude

& death yrs. that count!

Reply #59 - Nov 30th, 2006 at 1:01am

Brian or Dan,

I have finally come to the point where I feel prepared to convert my C: Fat32 to NTFS.  I have Symantec Partition Magic 8.05 installed on my C:  I assume I can do these functions from the installed program as opposed to doing it from the PM cd.

Although I do find a fair amount of info on the Fat32 to 4k aligned issue,  I cannot find any option to do this in the PM menus etc.  I select the C: paritition, then convert and the only option is NTFS.  I see an extended parition between the C: and my NTFS Data D: but it does not look like it has anything in it.

I am frustrated that I cannot do this Fat32 to 4k aligned.  The only other options I see are resize parititions and a resize clusters option.

Can you tell me why I can't see or do the Fat32 to 4k aligned?

Thx...............once again
Mack
PS I have searched the Symantec site but to no avail also.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print