Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Error EC8F17B7: Cannot create recovery points for (Read 44819 times)
Oliver Lorenz

Re: Error EC8F17B7: Cannot create recovery points
Reply #15 - Feb 2nd, 2006 at 11:46am

Hi Mani,

I never tried a backup from my local HDD C:\ to the same HDD C:\, because it seems useless in my eyes. If the HDD crashes, I will be lucky to have my data somewhere else  Wink

I always configured my Norton Ghost 10.0 backup to do a backup from my local HDD C:\ on my labtop to an external USB-drive mapped as drive I:\ on my labtop.

Regards
Oliver

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #16 - Feb 2nd, 2006 at 5:19pm

Quote:
Hi Mani,

I never tried a backup from my local HDD C:\ to the same HDD C:\, because it seems useless in my eyes. If the HDD crashes, I will be lucky to have my data somewhere else  Wink

That's correct but the technique does have a place. Some people have a single partition HD and are unable to write their Ghost image direct to an external HD. They can however write the image to the C: drive and immediately move it to the external HD with Windows Explorer.

IP Logged

CliffLasser
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Feb 6th, 2006 at 3:37am

In my case, Ghost 10 worked fine for 1 month.  Then when it decided to make a new recovery set, it refused to work again.
I am doing a backup from one internal drive to another.  Wiping the target disk clean didn't help. 

This isn't confidence inspiring.  Any suggestions?

-Error EC8F17B7: Cannot create recovery points for job: Recovery point of D:\, C:\.
--The internal structure of the image file is invalid or unsupported.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #18 - Feb 6th, 2006 at 4:00am

Quote:
In my case, Ghost 10 worked fine for 1 month.  Then when it decided to make a new recovery set, it refused to work again.

CliffLasser, any changes to your hardware?

From the recent posts you may have gathered this error is a mystery but may be related to USB devices. If you have any (ext HD, printers, scanners etc) could you try disconnecting them and see if it helps.

I assume you have been doing a recovery point set with incremental recovery points. Can you do an independent recovery point? Does everything cause an error? Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Ghost 10?

IP Logged

Manikandan

Reply #19 - Feb 6th, 2006 at 12:34pm

Error EC8F17B7: Cannot create recovery points for job: Recovery point of C:\.
Error E0BB001B: Cannot lock volume \\?\Volume{5a5063b9-3b1f-11da-8319-806d6172696f}\because it contains the OS or has an active paging file.

This error can also be caused on Windows XP/2000 if Norton Ghost was installed while the two VSS services are stopped.
The service names are "MS Software Shadow Copy Provider" and "Volume Shadow Copy".

To fix the issue, set the services to start Automatically, and re-install Norton Ghost. This will require two reboots.

One of the following may cause this error message with the  SymSnap.sys driver:
The driver does not load properly during the Windows startup process
The driver is not properly registered in the Windows registry
The driver does not exist in the %SystemRoot%\System32\Drivers folder

To resolve the problem, check the following:
Confirm that SymSnap.sys exist in the %SystemRoot%\System32\Drivers folder.
Confirm that SymSnap appears in System Information > Software Environment > System Drivers.

Uninstalling and reinstalling the product may also resolve this issue.

A registry key at the following locations causes the trouble   

Location HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\
S-1-5-18\Components/Symsnap

Change the Hexadecimal value from 0 to 1.

This issue has been known to occur when the snapshot driver being used by LiveState Recovery/Norton Ghost  is no longer registered correctly in the Windows registry

This issue can also be caused by the snapshot driver not being properly registered in Windows.  A batch file is available to correct this problem.  The batch file contains the following registry commands:

rem register the symSnap.sys driver
reg add HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SymSnap /f
reg add HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SymSnap /v ErrorControl /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SymSnap /v Type /t REG_DWORD /d 2 /f
reg add HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SymSnap /v Start /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SymSnap /v Group /d filter /f

Note : ( I am in the process of extracting the Registry file, i will send it accross once its approved)

Regards

Mani

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #20 - Feb 10th, 2006 at 12:10am

Mani, any news for us?

IP Logged

Manikandan

Reply #21 - Feb 13th, 2006 at 12:41pm

Hi Briyan,

I appologize for my ignorance,  i didi'nt undersatnd your post.

Please let me know if i can be of any help in this case

Regards
Mani

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #22 - Feb 13th, 2006 at 1:10pm

Quote:
Error EC8F17B7:

Note : ( I am in the process of extracting the Registry file, i will send it accross once its approved)

Mani, I thought you may have further information.

IP Logged

manikandan

Reply #23 - Feb 13th, 2006 at 2:26pm

Greetings Brian,

Symantec does not have a definite fix for this error message, all i was able to find  the reasons for the error mesage which i have posted it earlier.

For the same issue in LiveState Recovery symantec has a patch file which is due to a SP issue which has been fixed.

But on the Home edition no updates have been done to Ghost 10.0.

the solution that i have posted above is not a definite one...... in some cases it works in some cases it dosint.

i have rebuilt the symsnap driver which can be replaced insted of the exixting file but even that dosint resolve all the issues.

May be i can send the driver file to you guys.

Symantec is about to release the next version Ghost by the name Norton Save and Restore.

we hope  they fix it.

Regards
Mani

IP Logged

SwissKing

Reply #24 - Feb 17th, 2006 at 3:52pm

Hello everybody,
I had the same problem. But I found a solution now. The Ghost cannot be provided because the Harddisk have defectively sectors. I found a tool (HDD Regenerator) whit this you repaire the Disk on your PC. You can with the demo version look whether at all sectors on the Harddisk are defectively. If you found, you must buy it. it costs 59.95$ (USD).
http://www.topdownloads.net/software/view.php?id=8307 ;

SwissKing

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #25 - Feb 17th, 2006 at 6:28pm

Quote:
Symantec is about to release the next version Ghost by the name Norton Save and Restore.
Regards
Mani

Mani, do you know where there is any more information on "Norton Save and Restore"?  I haven't seen or read any announcement or pre-announcement for it.  Sounds intriguing.

SwissKing Quote:
I had the same problem. But I found a solution now. The Ghost cannot be provided because the Harddisk have defectively sectors.

If you suspect defective sectors you can run the Windows XP command which will try to correct bad sectors:
  chkdsk c: /R   (substitute your drive letter for c if it is different)

Besides the HDD Regenerator software mentioned previously, the Steve Gibson Spinrite utility has a long history and excellent reputation for regeneration of hard disk surfaces, way back to the old MFM technology hard drives.  As I recall now, there is a current debate as to whether or not regenerating drives is still valid, but Spinrite does extensive diagnostics and and refreshing of disk surfaces.

Besides these utilities, you should always look at your hard drive manufacturer's website because most of them provide a low level diagnostic utility if you suspect problems.  For example, Western Digital's is called "Western Digital Data Lifeguard Diagnostics".
http://support.wdc.com/download/

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Manikandan

Reply #26 - Mar 2nd, 2006 at 5:01pm

Hi Guys,

Symantec will be launching Norton Save and Restore today.  Here is a summary of what is going on:

Store: NAM Retail (no upgrades), SID=49997

Product: NSR

Date: Monday 2/27/06

Summary:  In response to PR and Marketing activities, we will be launching NSR on Monday 2/27/06 (on both the corporate and store sites).  However, since we have no ESD file or packaged inventory, we will only be accepting pre-orders for both downloads and packages.  Here is a link to the page with approved legal messaging:

http://www.symantecstore.com/dr/v2/ec_Main.Entry17C?SID=49997&SP=10023&CID=0&PID...

In addition to the messaging on this page, customers will also receive the following emails:

1)       Pre-order Confirmation

2)       Pre-order Available, CC Charge Failed, Order Cancelled

3)       Pre-Order Available, CC Charged, Your Product Has Shipped/How to Get Your Download

Let me know if you would like copies of these emails.

If we get calls to customer service, we should inform customers of the following…

Their credit card will not be charged until the download is available or the package has shipped.
The download file will be available the fourth week of March.
The package will begin shipping the first week of April.

Regards
Mani

IP Logged

horsetooth

Reply #27 - Mar 16th, 2006 at 5:00pm

I resolved my problem with getting the E0BB001B error when using Livestate Recovery Desktop. In my boot.ini I had the following additional switches - /HAL=halmacpi.dll    /Kernel=ntKrnlmp.exe  . I removed them and was able to create a recovery point.

Now I just need to check with my robotics vendor and see if he required these when the Tecan equipment was installed.

Got a backup though.

IP Logged

BobDobalina
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Sep 19th, 2006 at 10:11am

I had the same problem.  Could not create backup to external hdd, nor backup to my 2nd internal drive.  Symantec was less than helpful.. but this board was.  I restored my boot.ini file (I also have StyleXP) and started the 2 VSS services and after rebooting I am working.  Was able to finally backup to my external USB drive.  Thanks guys!

ps Whatever happened to the 'new norton backup' thing?  I just bought Ghost 10 off the Norton site and I didn't see anything about it.  Course I wasn't really looking, but still.

IP Logged

w4rcn
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Oct 17th, 2006 at 10:39am

I had the same problem, and checked the boot ini, but it was the same. I reran msconfig, and noticed that quicktime  was loading again, so was realaudio.  I turned them off and Ghost 10 started working again

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print