Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Hard Disk Cooling Fan (Read 48145 times)
TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Re: Hard Disk Cooling Fan
Reply #45 - Oct 2nd, 2007 at 9:00am

A PHD doesn't make someone a Thermal Dynamics Engineer.
Sometimes I think that the more they learn, the less they know.  Roll Eyes

The "Ripping" effect of electronics expanding and contracting is well known in the engineering community and many techniques have been developed to combat it.

Running a COLD drive, is more apt to occur in Minnesota than here in Florida.
While a drive getting HOT is more apt to occur here than in Minnesota.

In either case, when the drive is under load, it WILL heat up.  A hard drive is made up of several dissimilar metals, plastics, glass (PC Boards), etc.  These materials DO-NOT expand or contract at the same rate.  Ergo, the "ripping" effect of heating and cooling.

Preventing most of that cannot help but extend the life of any drive or other electronic components.  And at less than $5usd for a little drive cooler, I don't see all the hate and discontent this topic has stirred up.  Except maybe that some folks just like to argue and it doesn't matter what the topic.

What really makes me laugh, is the number of people who buy an Intel CPU, over-clock it and then complain that its running HOT.  Then the fight starts over which CPU Cooler is best.
Those threads can go on and on for page after page and there's really no one answer to it.

My AMD CPU is running at the manufacturers recommended speed and is cooled by the Stock cooler that came boxed with the CPU.  And the neatest thing of all is that I can lay my finger on the heatsink at any time and detect only slight warmth.  NEVER HOT!
My first wife ran hotter than that CPU. Roll Eyes Grin Grin Grin

BUT, and that's a really big But, I remove my CPU fan and heatsink at least once a year and scrub the dirt out of the heatsink and clean and oil the fan.  Likewise, every fan in my PC (all nine of them) gets a good cleaning at the same time.  Just a little maintenance goes a long way to keeping a PC running cool and happy.

Be COOL and be Happy!
The Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #46 - Oct 2nd, 2007 at 10:58am

TheShadow, my request is simple:  provide credible evidence that “Preventing most of that [heat] cannot help but extend the life of any drive.”  As self-evident and commonsensical as the statement seems, the actual data collected and analyzed by the Google researchers suggests that the assertion is largely false (for cases in which the hard disk drive is operating within the manufacturer’s design tolerances).  I admit, this is counter-intuitive and surprising:  but data are data.

Remember, the research reported by the Google personnel isn’t an “opinion,” but is based upon the systematic examination of a huge number of actual, observed hard disk drive failures.  It is not "theory."  All joking aside, I do hope you agree that the credentials of the Google researchers are beyond reproach.  To call these individuals “experts” in computer science and engineering would be an understatement.

Smiley

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #47 - Oct 13th, 2007 at 11:33am

I'll put my 43 years of electronics experience, in the field and in the research lab,  up against those egg-heads any day of the week.

And, Oh yes, I'll continue to install two-fan coolers with 1/4" standoffs on all my drives.

You just follow the PHD's and I hope you don't loose too many HD's to overheating.  Wink

Of course, you won't really know it died to overheating, it will just die and you won't know why.

I hope there's no hard feelings!  Huh

Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #48 - Oct 13th, 2007 at 2:54pm

The Shadow, please remember that the Google results are based upon an examination of "more than one hundred thousand disk drives".  It isn't an "egg head" theoretical, proscriptive argument; rather, it is descriptive research.  The Google personnel are describing exactly what they observed, not stating what should be based upon thermal dynamics.

These findings suggest that there is little advantage to installing and using a hard disk drive fan when the unit is already operating within the manufacturer's temperature tolerances.

Smiley

IP Logged

Rama
Technoluster

You don't appreciate Backup
until you get burned.

Reply #49 - Oct 13th, 2007 at 5:37pm

Let me add another factor. Some drives operate very hot. While the drives may themselves be within allowed temp range, the heat that is dissipated within the case may have some effect on the rest of the electronics. Everyone knows electronics does like heat. So depending on the tolerance of the rest of the electronics to increased heat, there will be correlation between the heat and problem with rest of the components inside the computer.  Personally, I like it cool with all electronics, unless it is unavoidable are expensive or inconvenient to control heat.

mkr

IP Logged

Rama
Technoluster

until you get burned.

Reply #50 - Oct 23rd, 2008 at 3:56pm

[quote author=685E7B44431E1C1C1A2C0 link=1177176215/1#1 date=1177259297]I'm probably one of the greatest proponents of hard drive cooling.

I had installed fans in all my hard drives about a year ago. Today when one of my computers failed to boot, when I removed the HD, I found the two fans both stuck and not working. After some time power on, they got hot. Looks like the lubricant dried up. I replaced the fan.

The moral of the story is; check all your fans atleast once a year. You can use a dentist mirror or some other means to inspect them. One of the users here mentioned that he lubricates the fans annually.

Rama

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #51 - Oct 24th, 2008 at 9:59pm

In my working life, I worked for four of the worlds largest corporations that design and build electro/mechanical devices.  I've worked on everything from a small manual cash register to a D-10 CAT and every machine I ever worked on requires Maintenance.

Computer maintenance is as simple as cleaning out junk files and refraging the HD on a regular schedule.  Or it can be more proactive, like cleaning and oiling your fans and blowing out the dust bunnies on a semi-annual schedule.
Maintenance just comes naturally to me, after doing it professionally for so many years.

After adding another three air intake fans to the front of my PC, I now have 15 fans in my system.  It just doesn't bother me at all to check them from time to time and keep them clean and running at top performance.  
PSU fans, scavenged from defunct power supplies, make really good case fans.  Besides being FREE, they are usually quiet too.  So my PC, besides being nice and cool, is nice and quiet too.  It sets right here beside me on my desk and I don't mind the purring sound it makes, at all.
My PC gives me so much pleasure and comfort that I don't mind at all giving something back in the way of TLC.

This is my "Baby" after I added an intake fan to the front panel.  With the red eye looking at me, it reminds me of the "HAL 9000". Wink

Stay Cool!
The Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

Rama
Technoluster

until you get burned.

Reply #52 - Oct 24th, 2008 at 10:12pm

That is a neat way to install the fan and the air flow would be excellent. Personally little purring does not bother me. BTW, when I inspected another machine, I found the fan dead and replaced it. Your idea of using the ps fans is neat.

Rama  Cheesy

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #53 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 9:23am

Recently, for the first time since building this system, many months ago, I've installed both side panels.  After several hours of operation I noticed that the front part of the side panels was warm to the touch.  That's heat that should be blown out the back, not hanging around inside the case and warming up the side panels. I installed the red fan in the upper front panel as seen in the picture above.  That took care of the heat being generated by the HD that sits right behind those upper drive bay faceplates.
But there was no air-flow to move out the heat being generated by the two HD's that sit in the drive bays in the lower front of the case.
To facilitate that, I added two more case fans to the steel frame, right behind the plastic front panel.  Again, I went to my box of recovered PSU fans.
This picture shows my 3rd hard drive in the upper drive bay, mounted with spacers and the place, in the lower case frame, for two more fans, provided by the case designers.

I didn't like all that grill-work that would block the airflow into the two case fans, so with end-cutters in hand, snip, snip, I removed the grills.
Now the two new case fans can breath more efficiently and blow more cooling air back over my two HD's and move their heat into the back of the case where a large exhaust fan can remove it.
Now, with the case reassembled, everything stays at room temperature.
This added airflow also increases the efficiency of the CPU and GPU coolers.
In my 44 years of working on equipment that had the propensity to overheat and die, I've developed the same mantra as so many other tech's and engineers, "
Heat Kills
" (electronics).
If that were not true, then NO CPU or GPU would have a cooler affixed to it.  And, NO PSU would have one or even TWO fans installed.

I don't understand the 'Nay-Sayers' that would come on a HELP forum and tell people to just let their PC's run as hot as possible.  That's counter productive to say the least and just plain "Destructive" to say the most.

Windows in their Power Management app, has the ability to shut down a HD that's not being used for XX number of minutes.  Setting that to a low value for a system that seems to be running hot, can greatly reduce the heat that's coming from the HD's, at least.  I set mine to 10 minutes.
For the little "Mini" PC's, that can be exceptionally critical, since they have virtually NO airflow anyway.

As my grade school principal used to say, "A word to the wise is sufficient".

Y'all have a great day now, Y'hear?

Happy Halloween! ...

IP Logged

Rama
Technoluster

until you get burned.

Re: Hard Disk Cooling Fan - Need for routine maintenance
Reply #54 - Jan 16th, 2009 at 12:14am

Rama wrote on Oct 23rd, 2008 at 3:56pm:
[quote author=685E7B44431E1C1C1A2C0 link=1177176215/1#1 date=1177259297]I'm probably one of the greatest proponents of hard drive cooling.

I had installed fans in all my hard drives about a year ago. Today when one of my computers failed to boot, when I removed the HD, I found the two fans both stuck and not working. After some time power on, they got hot. Looks like the lubricant dried up. I replaced the fan.

The moral of the story is; check all your fans atleast once a year. You can use a dentist mirror or some other means to inspect them. One of the users here mentioned that he lubricates the fans annually.

Rama

Last few days I noticed noise coming from the computer. First I thought CD was failing and even after disconnecting the power, the noise reappeared after a day. It appeared to be coming from hard drive. Usually when the bearing in HD fail, you start hearing noise. Got real concerned because it was the main production machine. After removing the HD, testing showed the noise was from the cooling fan. Few drops of watchmaker's oil (which does not gum up) in the bearings quietened the fans.

Moral of the story: Periodic lubrication - once a year, is a must to avoid failure of fans. Learnt hard way!

Done anyone know of hard drive fans with high quality bearings which does not need any maintenance?

Rama

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #55 - Jan 16th, 2009 at 4:14pm

Quote:
I don't understand the 'Nay-Sayers' that would come on a HELP forum and tell people to just let their PC's run as hot as possible.  That's counter productive to say the least and just plain "Destructive" to say the most.

I am not aware that anyone in this thread has expressed such a viewpoint.

If a PC is running outside of the manufacturer’s temperature tolerances, then corrective action should obviously be taken; if not, then none is obviously needed. For example, I am running three SAS 15K RPM internal hard disk drives in a HP xw4600 Workstation, and they only get ‘warm’ (not ‘hot’) to the touch, cooled by the fans installed in the case by the manufacturer. In this situation, there is simply no advantage to ‘fixing’ something that isn’t ‘broken.’

On a more general note, the BIOS in my workstation has a setting to adjust the default rate of the system fan (located in the rear of the chassis) when the processor is in idle. Some users may simply find it beneficial to increase such a setting to create more overall airflow in the case if needed, rather than installing a new fan in the PC enclosure.

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #56 - Jan 16th, 2009 at 8:34pm

Rama,
Quote:
Done anyone know of hard drive fans with high quality bearings which does not need any maintenance?

All the little $3 fans have sleeve bearings, just like the fans in most PSU's.
They are impregnated with oil during manufacture, and that's it.  When that oil dries out, they begin to HOWL!

Most of the supply houses that sell the cheap fans, also sell the expensive ones with 'Ball Bearings' in them.  Much higher price and much higher life expectancy.  Ya gets wot ya pays for. Wink

I just did my semi annual maintenance on my own PC when my GPU cooler was moaning.  I found several cooling fans on my HD's were in bad need of maintenance or replacement.

I replaced two of them and serviced the rest.  The GPU cooler just needed some TLC. (clean & oil )
Months ago, the little Stock 40mm fan on my GPU heatsink stalled and fried.
I replaced it with a 50mm CPU fan from an old K6 Heatsink.  There was no way to screw it down, so I secured it with
HOT GLUE
Hey!....It works great and my GPU has never been so cool! Wink
Sorry for the blurry picture.  I don't have a close-up lens on my digital camera.

When that little fan finally gives out..... I've got a half dozen more just waiting to go back to work.  I save everything like that, , that I scavenge out of old computers.  Waste not....want not! (who said that?)

Like, all my new case fans are out of defunct PSU's.

By the way, I just saved a motherboard, by replacing the ten bulging and leaking capacitors, on the 5v rail.  It took me about an hour, all told, but it was well worth it  to save a motherboard in a nice little PC.
With a sizeable ram upgrade, a new HD and a bigger and better PSU, that little PC has a new lease on life.  VOILA !!!

I do wish y'alls a very good 2009!
The Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print