Send Topic Print
Error Message (Read 35204 times)
DaveyD
Dude

Help I am a Technophobe

Kent England

Error Message
Mar 30th, 2008 at 2:59pm

Help please I posted the following awhile ago and no one has responded. I am very keen to know what the message means and would be really grateful for a reply.

'After a backup I receive the following message. Can anyone explain it and/or tell me if it constitutes a problem. I am also running 'Go Back'.

Thanks

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Re: Error Message
Reply #1 - Mar 30th, 2008 at 3:10pm

DaveyD wrote on Mar 30th, 2008 at 2:59pm:
I am also running 'Go Back'

I re-read your initial post
http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1205265938/0#0

There have been several instances of problems and conflicts for anyone that has BOTH Norton Ghost and GoBack installed.

So, my first advice is to make sure you have all critical Microsoft updates installed.  Then uninstall Norton GoBack, reboot, and try again.  If that still fails, then also uninstall Ghost, reboot, install Ghost from scratch, then try again.

What version of Ghost?

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #2 - Mar 30th, 2008 at 3:12pm

I just re-read everything and see you have Norton Save & Restore.  Previous suggestions still apply about re-installing S&R after getting rid of GoBack.

Also:
http://www.google.com/search?&q=VSS+Provider+vetoed+the+operation

IP Logged

DaveyD
Dude

Help I am a Technophobe

Kent England

Reply #3 - Mar 31st, 2008 at 8:31am

Thanks for your response John, just one further question if I may.
Can you confirm it will be more advantageous to get rid of 'Go Back' rather than 'Save and Restore'?

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #4 - Mar 31st, 2008 at 9:02am

I think GoBack has been discontinued. (Check the Symantec website) When did you install GoBack?  Did you install it as part of an older version of SystemWorks?  which version?

As I remember, GoBack was a program to keep track of Windows registry changes and system file changes.  It's similar to the Windows XP "System Restore" feature, which you already have.

My recommendation is still to remove GoBack.  In fact, if you have it as part of Norton SystemWorks, determine if you are still using SystemWorks.  If not, remove the entire package if it is more than a couple years old.

Norton Save & Restore has both hard drive image backup, as well as folder and file backup.  It is very similar to Ghost 10 or 12.  I would remove GoBack, and follow guide in earlier post.

IP Logged

Ajay
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

INDIA

Reply #5 - Mar 31st, 2008 at 10:26am

Hi All,

Yes. There is incompatibility with Norton GoBack and Norton Save & Restore.

DaveyD : You can go ahead and disable the Norton GoBack and use NSR.

Symantec stop supporting Norton GoBack as a standalone version. Still its support when it comes with Norton System Works.

Ajay   Symantec User && _________________  &&Chennai. INDIA
Ajay ajaysp149  
IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #6 - Mar 31st, 2008 at 11:58am

Ajay wrote on Mar 31st, 2008 at 10:26am:
You can go ahead and disable the Norton GoBack  

Don't just disable GoBack.  Completely uninstall and remove it.

IP Logged

DaveyD
Dude

Help I am a Technophobe

Kent England

Reply #7 - Apr 1st, 2008 at 4:02am

Thanks to you both.
I am running an upgraded to 2007 Premier Edition System Works which comes with both Go Back and Save and Restore.
Yesterday I managed to get an online connection with a Symantec analyst who found that my error message is 'not a known issue'. The problem has been escalated to their research department and I eagerly await their response.
I have wanted to install a less obtrusive footprint antivirus set up than Symantec for some time but for reasons too long to go into here I do not have System Restore on my PC and have used Go Back as a substitute.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #8 - Apr 1st, 2008 at 7:24am

DaveyD wrote on Apr 1st, 2008 at 4:02am:
I do not have System Restore on my PC and have used Go Back as a substitute.

System Restore is a part of all Windows XP and Vista pc's.  System restore points are taken automatically (unless disabled) usually once a day plus prior to any major windows updates.  Start/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore.  Or search Help function for system restore.

IP Logged

DaveyD
Dude

Help I am a Technophobe

Kent England

Reply #9 - Apr 1st, 2008 at 7:38am

John
Shortly after receiving my DELL PC a few years ago I found that the hard drive had failed and had to return PC. I had no reason to check if system restore was present for some time after return but when I did I found that it was not on the machine. I have tried through many forums to successfully locate or re-install system restore without success which is why I have been utilising go back

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #10 - Apr 1st, 2008 at 7:44am

OK.  You're talking about a "system restore partition" which Dell provides on some pc's.  It uses a Ghost-like program to completely restore a hard drive to factory condition.  The Windows System Restore is a software function for XP changes, not a complete partition restore.  Two different animals.  I think the Dell Ctrl-F11 during boot-up is what triggers the Dell one.

Ghost Save & Restore is also a complete partition image backup program.  GoBack is not.  I think GoBack keeps backups of certain files, not images of the entire partition (unless it has changed since I looked at it).

I still suggest removing/uninstalling GoBack if you're trying to get Norton Save & Restore working.

IP Logged

DaveyD
Dude

Help I am a Technophobe

Kent England

Reply #11 - Apr 1st, 2008 at 12:00pm

John I think I am clouding the issue here. It is the Microsoft XP System Restore which is missing. I shall give Symantec time to respond to the original query and then, subject to their response, take your advise. I am particularly grateful for your assistance
David

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #12 - Apr 1st, 2008 at 12:13pm

DaveyD wrote on Apr 1st, 2008 at 12:00pm:
It is the Microsoft XP System Restore which is missing.

Now it is clearer; it's a XP problem.

Have you looked at some of these to see if they apply to you:

http://www.5starsupport.com/xp-faq/1-54.htm

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=xp+system+restore+missing

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #13 - Apr 1st, 2008 at 2:21pm

DaveyD wrote on Apr 1st, 2008 at 4:02am:
I am running an upgraded to 2007 Premier Edition System Works which comes with both Go Back and Save and Restore.  

Are you SURE that GoBack came with NSW 2007 Premiere?  I don't see it mentioned in the product description:
http://www.symantec.com/norton/products/overview.jsp?pcid=sp&pvid=nswp2008

You said you
upgraded
to SW2007 Premiere.  I bet you had GoBack installed from some previous version, and not SW2007 Premiere.

My advice still stands:  uninstall GoBack, and start using Norton Save & Restore to take partition image backups.

IP Logged

DaveyD
Dude

Help I am a Technophobe

Kent England

Reply #14 - Apr 2nd, 2008 at 6:41am

Hi John
Yes I have visited a multitude of sites about the missing restore problem, including the ones you suggest,  but have been a little hesitant about poking around inside the registry too much. This is why I have persisted with the Symantec solution.
Before installation of the upgrade I removed all existing Symantec products and the instal included Go Back 4.2 as quoted on the box and instructions.
Unless Symantec research come up with a better solution I will remove the Go Back and rely on Ghost. In the end I may call in a local IT expert to look at the System Restore prob.

Regards David

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print