Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Ghost + Windows 7 Questions! (Read 71678 times)
Bill Mullin
Dude

Tucson, AZ

Re: Ghost + Windows 7 Questions!
Reply #15 - Nov 11th, 2009 at 3:38pm

Brian wrote on Nov 11th, 2009 at 3:13pm:
Another plus for IFW. It is licensed for use on three computers.

And I have 2, so the extra licensing would be welcome!  Can't do anything yet though as I'm still waiting for the computer which Dell tells me I'll have before 12/1.

Thanks, Bill

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #16 - Nov 11th, 2009 at 4:03pm

Bill,

If you decide to buy IFW instead of Ghost 15, I suggest the "Special Bundle". The extra $ is money well spent. BING is just amazing and you will qualify for Ver 2 BING which will be released in the next year.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #17 - Nov 11th, 2009 at 4:31pm

@
Brian

Quote:
Another plus for IFW. It is licensed for use on three computers.

Link?  Can't find that benefit mentioned anywhere on their webpage!

Probably right in front of my face--but just can't *see* it!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #18 - Nov 11th, 2009 at 4:42pm

@
Brian

Found it--buried in the *TeraByte Unlimited (Full-Use) License Agreement*:

Quote:
(c)  PERMITTED END USERS AND COMPUTER SYSTEMS.
(i)  Commercial or Organizational Use. If you are a corporation, LLC, or other commercial entity, whether
public or private, for profit or not-for-profit, or a government entity, or if the Software is ever used for
purposes related to any such commercial or government entity, the permitted Software end users and
Computer Systems under this license are, as applicable:
(1) Your own employees and in-house contractors, and your in-house Computer Systems owned or
controlled by you,
(2) A parent organization that has majority ownership or control of your organization (if any), its
employees and in-house contractors, and that organization’s in-house Computer Systems owned or
controlled by that organization,
(3) Your subsidiary organization or organizations (if any), those organizations’ employees and in-house
contractors, and those organization’s in-house Computer Systems owned or controlled by those
organizations, and
(4) Your affiliated organizations (if any; “affiliated organization” means any organization which is under
majority control or ownership by the same parent that majority owns or majority controls you), those
organizations’ employees and in-house contractors, and those organization’s in-house Computer
Systems owned or controlled by those organizations.
(ii)  Personal or Home Users.  If you are a real person, and if all Software under this license is used
exclusively for personal non-commercial use only, then each licensed copy may be installed on two
additional Computer Systems
owned or controlled by you, or a member of your immediate family

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #19 - Nov 11th, 2009 at 5:02pm

@
NightOwl

Sorry to make you do the detective work.

BING now has a three computer license. In March this year it was a two computer license.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #20 - Nov 11th, 2009 at 10:57pm

Back on topic. Ghost and Win7.

If you install Win7 to unallocated space or let Win7 create the install partition, you will get a 100 MB System Reserved Partition in addition to the Win7 partition. The SRP contains the boot files and is the Active partition.

When we have restored Ghost OS images in the past we have chosen, "Set drive active for booting". Now we must remember to NOT choose this option if there is a SRP. If Win7 becomes the Active partition, it will not boot.

The SRP takes up one of the 4 partition slots in the MBR and may limit future primary partition creation. I can see it causing issues with image restores, especially to new HDs. The SRP can be removed.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #21 - Nov 11th, 2009 at 11:16pm

Brian wrote on Nov 11th, 2009 at 10:57pm:
If you install Win7 to unallocated space or let Win7 create the install partition, you will get a 100 MB SRP in addition to the Win7 partition. The SRP contains the boot files and is the Active partition. 

I deleted my Vista partition, then booted from the Windows 7 DVD to do a clean Win7 install.  The Win7 created a 10GB Recovery partiton, not 100MB; at least in my case that's what happened.

Another consideration is the Dell Utility Partition which is first.  So in this case, 3 of the partition slots are already used.

Hopefully Ghost 15 will be smart enough to at least give a warning about making the wrong partition active during a restore.

(Off topic, but I was disappointed to again see that Ghost 15 will not perform a complete-copy-the-entire-disk-drive in one operation.  It still, according to the user guide link, makes you copy one partition at a time.  Bad.  That's still a serious limitation in my opinion.  I use offline boot of Paragon Partition Manager for disk copies and partition management.) 

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #22 - Nov 11th, 2009 at 11:31pm

@
John.

10 GB. Wow. What was in there?

I'm disappointed with the userguide instructions for doing a Copy Drive. They are basically unchanged from PowerQuest's Drive Image 7. The precursor to Ghost 9. If you follow the instructions your OS clone will fail to boot. You must clone into unallocated space or into a partition without a drive letter. But hopefully Symantec have changed the code to get around this issue. Both TeraByte IFD/IFL and ShadowProtect have means to get around this problem (via registry edits). Well, ShadowProtect did in ver 3.2 when it had partition cloning.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #23 - Nov 12th, 2009 at 8:02am

Inside the Recovery partition (among other folders) is a folder, dell\image\, with just one file, factory.wim, which is 4GB in size, dated 2/11/2007.  I assume the Win7 install found and preserved that file, which is the original Dell factory recovery image.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=dell+factory.wim+file

I believe if I had started with a new-blank-unformatted hard drive for the Win7 install, the factory.wim file and the other Dell utility partiion wouldn't be there.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #24 - Nov 12th, 2009 at 11:07am

Concerning an "off topic" subtheme in this thread...

In reviewing the Norton Ghost 15.0 User’s Guide (pages 14-15), I am surprised by the few number of significant enhancements to the product.  Overall, it seems more like a “maintenance release” for Windows 7 that a true major version (14 -> 15) upgrade.

Hopefully, Symantec will increase its research & development investments in the product over time?

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #25 - Nov 12th, 2009 at 11:41am

@
Pleonasm

Quote:
Hopefully, Symantec will increase its research & development investments in the product over time?

Personal opinion--Symantec has abandoned anything that resembles support for a *quality* imaging option for the *retail* market.  The current retail Ghost product has limited capabilities and very poor support!

Seem to be maximizing *profits* and not improving the product!!!  (They can't even update their User Guide to properly explain how to use their product correctly!  See this sample thread, reply #7:   Problems using NG-14 in migrate XP to a new HD

Quote:
For anyone reading, Micfung's problem was caused by cloning to a partition with a drive letter. Ghost 14 can't do this. You must clone to unallocated space or to a partition without a drive letter. Unfortunately this is not discussed in the userguide. Maybe this issue will be changed in Ghost 15.

That problem has been there since *Ghost 9*--and they still haven't addressed it in their User Guide!  I've seen Brian answering questions regarding this problem once or twice per month since *forever*!

Great job Symantec!  Just how much time do they need to *increase its research & development investments in the product*?  Why would they expect *loyalty* from anyone--given the way they treat their customers by ignoring the quality of the product they put out?!

So much for my *soap box* comments  Wink !

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #26 - Nov 12th, 2009 at 2:00pm

NightOwl, I hope you’re wrong that “Symantec has abandoned anything that resembles support for a *quality* imaging option for the *retail* market,” but -- unfortunately -- the data suggest you may be on the mark.

Years ago, “image backup” was a specialty product, primarily known to the “PC intelligentsia.”  Today, however, it has become much more mainstream (almost a “commodity”) and, as a consequence, the competition has increased. I don’t know (but I suspect) that the market share for Ghost has declined as a result, diminishing Symantec’s motivation for R&D investments in the tool.

My own personal perspective is that the image backup products that are primarily targeted to businesses (with a secondary emphasis to consumers) are the ones that are continuing to be enhanced (e.g., Backup Exec System Recovery or ShadowProtect), with others somewhat falling behind.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #27 - Nov 12th, 2009 at 3:43pm

John. wrote on Nov 11th, 2009 at 11:16pm:
I deleted my Vista partition, then booted from the Windows 7 DVD to do a clean Win7 install.The Win7 created a 10GB Recovery partiton, not 100MB; at least in my case that's what happened.

No, Win7 didn't create the Recovery partition.  That's a standard feature of Dell's Vista systems, and it was there when Dell shipped the computer to you.  Naturally, any clean install of Windows will leave the Recovery partition there unless you deliberately delete it.

I have a little more information about it here and here.

I've recently examined a few of Dell's Win7 systems and can confirm they are using exactly the same recovery scheme as the Vista systems.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #28 - Nov 12th, 2009 at 4:05pm

Dan Goodell wrote on Nov 12th, 2009 at 3:43pm:
No, Win7 didn't create the Recovery partition.That's a standard feature of Dell's Vista systems, and it was there when Dell shipped the computer to you.Naturally, any clean install of Windows will leave the Recovery partition there unless you deliberately delete it.

Dan, thanks for the comments and links info.  I never really paid attention to the Dell Vista Recovery partition (never needed it).

So far, Windows 7 clean install and use has been relatively painless, and overall interface is very familiar to anyone that previously used Vista, along with more polish and features.  Of course I had to re-install my software applications again, but it was a good opportunity to clean house and review needed vs. unneeded.

I did have to restore Vista once (to a separate spare hard drive), and Ghost 14 performed flawlessly, and Vista booted without needing any mbr fixups.  I had forgotten to export some app settings and the only way to retrieve them was to run the app (Picasa) to create/export the backup definitions, then import it into Win7.

I have my own opinions about which features (Copy Disk for one) should be enhanced with Ghost, but I must say that after using many Ghost versions over many years on many pc's, anytime I have needed to restore a partition or file, Ghost has never (knock on wood) failed.  It may not be perfect in features but it is dependable.  (I only create/keep full independent backups.)

There is more competition out there, and for the consumer market, many of the other vendors are concentrating on online backups oriented to music, videos, etc. and other file/folder search features, instead of system-image backups, which can be too complex to restore for some home consumers.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #29 - Nov 12th, 2009 at 5:35pm

Dan,

I assume Dell Win7 computers don't have the 100 MB System Reserved partition. Is there any advantage in having this partition? I make sure it is not present.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print