Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print
Disappearing partitions in Ghost 2003 (Read 95144 times)
NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Disappearing partitions in Ghost 2003
Reply #45 - Nov 28th, 2010 at 3:19am

@
Brian

Quote:
It won't take you long.

Probably true--I just like being a *drama king*  Wink !

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #46 - Nov 28th, 2010 at 3:22am

NightOwl wrote on Nov 28th, 2010 at 3:14am:
Maybe we should create a new board here at Radified dedicated to all thing TeraByte--any thoughts?

Brian wrote on Nov 28th, 2010 at 3:18am:
Good idea. Yes.

I'll present the suggestion to Rad and see what he says!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #47 - Nov 28th, 2010 at 3:26am

Brian wrote on Nov 28th, 2010 at 3:18am:
I use Outlook Express. 

Ah, found their (TeraByte) help page for setting up Outlook Express:  Set Up Help for Outlook Express

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #48 - Nov 28th, 2010 at 3:34am

@
Brian

Quote:
I use Outlook Express.

What to do if you have Win7--no Outlook Express to work with there  Angry !  Does regular Outlook do newsgroups also?  Or are there other third party newsgroup readers available.

TeraByte doesn't have any other options/recommendations other than Outlook Express that I see so far!

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #49 - Nov 28th, 2010 at 3:49am

@
NightOwl

NightOwl wrote on Nov 28th, 2010 at 3:34am:
What to do if you have Win7

I haven't had to think about that yet and I don't think Outlook does newsgroups. Let me know what you find.

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #50 - Nov 28th, 2010 at 8:58pm

Brian wrote on Nov 27th, 2010 at 1:18pm:
Dan must be away.

Thanksgiving holiday here in the US, so we took the week and went to spend the holiday in Oregon with my daughter.  (Actually, we didn't have to "take" anything, being as how Bush's recession has left us without much in the way of employment obligations, so we were free to go for as long as we wanted.)

DL258 wrote on Nov 27th, 2010 at 6:22pm:
I did run a full drive backup via the Ghost 2003 boot disk. All partitions are visible in this Ghost interface and the backup worked fine with all partitions backed up. It is only the Windows interactive mode (which I normally use) that does not display all partitions.

I'll get to the PartInfo reports when I have a chance to take a closer look, but given the above symptom, my first suggestion would be to try clearing the [MountedDevices] registry key.

Start regedit, open the [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices] key, highlight and delete everything except "(Default)".  Reboot and XP will rebuild all the key values.  If any of the old values were the cause of the problem, they won't be there anymore.  See if all partitions now show up in "My Computer".

If that doesn't solve it, the next step is to right-click on "My Computer" and choose "Manage" from the pop-up context menu.  In the "Computer Management" window, select "Disk Management" in the left pane and study the graphic in the lower-right pane.  Are all the partitions represented there, with or without drive letters?  Are they annotated as Healthy FAT32 partitions?  Or is there a large unallocated space?

DL258 wrote on Nov 27th, 2010 at 6:22pm:
At this point after some experimentation on other PC's I think in general (on any PC) any edit of volume labels from within Windows is unsuccessful as far as partitioning programs is concerned. 

FWIW, I believe the FAT32 file system is the same as FAT16 with regard to volume labels.  It actually has two volume labels--one embedded in the boot sector, and one in the root directory (just like a directory entry, except it has a "label" attribute).  Partitioning tools seem to be wildly inconsistent in how they attack the label.  Some change it in one location, some change it in the other location, but only a few tools seem to change it in both locations.

mounteddeviceskey.jpg (142 KB | 529 )
mounteddeviceskey.jpg

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #51 - Nov 28th, 2010 at 9:14pm

NightOwl wrote on Nov 28th, 2010 at 3:34am:
What to do if you have Win7--no Outlook Express

I use Xnews.  I like it particularly because it's "no install".  I put it on a flash drive, and no matter whose computer I'm using, I can launch it from my flash drive.  It's only for newsgroups, not regular email.

Thunderbird is an excellent email replacement for Outlook Express, and also happens to do newsgroups.  There's even a portable version, which is what I use for all my email these days.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #52 - Nov 29th, 2010 at 10:35am

@
xcurious

Haven't seen a reply to my Reply # 26 questions!

Did we loose you in all the *off topic* chatter by myself and Brian? 

Still wondering if you have everything sorted out to your satisfaction?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #53 - Nov 29th, 2010 at 10:36am

@
Dan Goodell

Quote:
I use Xnews.

Thanks for the recommendation--I'll give it a try!

IP Logged

xcurious
Dude

Norway

Reply #54 - Nov 29th, 2010 at 1:52pm

NightOwl wrote on Nov 29th, 2010 at 10:35am:
@
xcurious

Haven't seen a reply to my Reply # 26 questions!

Did we loose you in all the *off topic* chatter by myself and Brian? 

Still wondering if you have everything sorted out to your satisfaction?

Well, before the off topic you mention, my thread was hijacked, too.

But I'm not LOST Smiley  . I am active on many forums to know how things work.

Well, just to add, the reply in post # 25 (not from you) was a bit 'off topic' ,
if you see it as a reply to my post # 24, which can't have been read by the replier...
I didn't even realize at the time that it was directed to me.  Sad

That's life, (forum life  Smiley  ).

Back to you:

Yes, I'm very satisfied with my solution. I made another primary partition, so it sums up to 3.
Still no extended partiotions. No need for it.

Thanks to you trying to help me out. I can see from other threads here that you really
make big efforts to help peoples out.  Smiley

Editet by OP to remove more Off-topic stuff in this thread.

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #55 - Nov 30th, 2010 at 9:05am

Okay, having had a chance to study the PartInfo reports in this thread, I can see several problems.  The problems fall broadly into two areas: corrupted CHS values in partition descriptors, and improperly calculated LBA values in descriptors in the extended partition.  Since we have a couple of newcomers, it’s probably worthwhile to include a review of some history and principles.

Back in the 1980’s and 90’s, sectors on a hard disk were identified by their geometrical coordinates—that is, the Cylinder, track (aka, “Head”), and Sector position on the track.  In the partition tables, a descriptor defined a partition by its starting and ending C, H, and S coordinates.  The C, H, and S fields in the descriptor could accommodate values of 0-1023, 0-254, and 1-63, respectively.  Partitions were always divided along cylinder boundaries, except when it was preceded by a partition table, in which case the starting point was offset by one track.  Thus, partitions always began on Sector 1 of Head 0 or 1 on a particular Cylinder, and always ended on Sector 63 of Head 254 on some other Cylinder.

The CHS method worked for hard disks up to about 8 GB in size.  Larger disks would require cylinder values above 1023.  To accommodate larger disks, LBA references were added to the partition descriptors.  LBA eschews geometry altogether and counts sectors as one long, continuous string, from the beginning of the hard disk to the last sector on the disk.

Descriptors still retained CHS values for backward compatibility.  Thus, in addition to the boot flag and file-system type identifier, the 16-byte descriptor for a partition specifies the partition’s beginning location in CHS terms, ending location in CHS terms, the beginning location in LBA terms, and the number of sectors in the partition.  (Note the LBA ending point can be derived from the LBA starting point plus the volume size in sectors.)

Okay, here’s the catch.  While a location within the first 8 GB of the disk can be referenced by either its CHS or LBA coordinates, beyond that you must use LBA.  In that event, the C register is supposed to be “pegged” at 1023, its maximum value.  1023 is a useful alert that you’re supposed to get the real sector location from the LBA field instead.  Unfortunately, some partitioning tools—most notably, linux-based utilities—don’t freeze the value and let the C counter rollover to start counting up from zero again.  The PartInfo report in Reply #3 illustrates this anomaly.  The last partition, for example, really spans CHS 14793/1/1 to 19456/254/63.  However, instead of pegging the Beginning C-counter at 1023, it was allowed to rollover 14 times and count up to 457 for a 15th time (14793 – 14*1024 = 457).  Similarly, the Ending C-counter rolled over 19 times and was just beginning its 20th cycle (19456 – 19*1024 = 0).  While the BCHS and ECHS values should have been 1023/1/1 and 1023/254/63, they are shown as 457/1/1 and 0/254/63.

So, is this a problem?  Well, that depends on who’s trying to interpret the partition descriptor.  Linux apparently has no trouble and just looks at the LBA value.  For the most part, Windows also seems to get it right (at least, most of the time).  But other tools that are not so carefully designed can interpret a C value of other than 1023 as definitive, and could end up reading and writing to Cylinder 457 instead of Cylinder 14793—with drastic consequences!

You’ll notice a lot of corrupted BCHS and ECHS numbers in the Reply #3 PartInfo report and the Reply #15 PartInfo.  There are even a few in the Reply #12 PartInfo (all those 1022’s should be 1023).  As mentioned above, this isn't necessary a problem until you try to use a tool (like Partition Magic, for example) that looks at the CHS numbers.

(Aside: Reply #15 illustrates an unrelated side issue--Thinkpad, Compaq, and certain HP laptops have long used a maximum H value of 239 instead of the more common 254.)

continued...

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #56 - Nov 30th, 2010 at 9:25am

... continuation

Now, on to the “overlapping partitions” in the extended partition.  This is a problem found in the Reply #12 PartInfo.

The type-0F descriptor in the primary partition table defines the extended partition.  It starts at LBA Sector 15277815 and spans 24740100 sectors.  DL258 has subdivided this extended partition into 5 logical volumes.  Each of the 5 volumes begins with a secondary partition table and, in this case, each is properly aligned on cylinder boundaries (i.e., starts on xxx/1/1 and ends on yyy/254/63).  Each secondary partition table contains one or two descriptors: the first defining one volume’s beginning point and size, and the second pointing to the next secondary partition table (if any) in the chain.

The first descriptor in each secondary table defines a single logical volume.  In this example, they are all type-0B (FAT32) volumes.  Each volume starting point is referenced relative to the location of the table defining it—i.e., it’s always 63 because it’s always one track (63 sectors) away from its secondary partition table.  This is followed by the size, in sectors, of the volume.

The second descriptor (type-05) in any secondary partition table links to the next secondary table in the chain.  The first LBA number is the offset to the next table, but note that unlike the volume descriptor, this offset is relative to the start of the extended partition, not from this specific secondary table.  Thus, the absolute LBA locations of the secondary tables are at:
  15277815 +  3164805 = 18442620
  15277815 + 10361925 = 25639740
  15277815 + 15486660 = 30764475
  15277815 + 18555075 = 33832890

Refer to the Boot Sector Information for each volume (Replies #13 and #14), and you’ll notice there is a boot sector exactly 63 sectors beyond each of these locations.

The second LBA number in the type-05 descriptor is supposed to be the size of the next block in the chain—i.e., 63 + the size of the next logical volume.  This is where the Reply #12 PartInfo goes wrong!  Whatever tool was used to manipulate each secondary partition table erroneously calculated this value as the remaining balance of the whole extended partition, not just the next block.  Consequently, the numbers are all too large, and make it appear that the next block overlaps the start of the next block after that.  There’s your “overlapping partitions”.

Looking at the boot sectors, it appears that the logical volumes themselves are okay.  They aren't really overlapping, it's just the tables that say they are.  The errors are probably confined to the recalculations done in the secondary partition tables.  That means corrections should be as simple as editing these partition tables with ptedit32.  If DL258 hasn't otherwise compromised the partition layout represented in Reply #12, we can continue with specifics.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #57 - Nov 30th, 2010 at 11:56pm

@
xcurious

Quote:
Yes, I'm very satisfied with my solution. I made another primary partition, so it sums up to 3.
Still no extended partiotions. No need for it.

That's good!  Didn't exactly solve the original problem--but sounds functional for you!

Quote:
Well, before the off topic you mention, my thread was hijacked, too.

Well, I suppose that could be argued--but DL258's issue is very similar in nature--if you read the information that Dan Goodell has mentioned--you both lost partitions being listed in the Windows Ghost interface--and the *cause* seems to be corrupted partition table information.

You mentioned that you used some alternate imaging tools in the last month, or so--that might have contributed to changed partition table structure--but DL258 has stated that he's done nothing of that kind--used only his Vcom partitioning tool and Ghost 10 and Ghost 2003!  The two of you should be comparing notes to see if there's any commonality in anything you have done recently--or in the past!

Quote:
Well, just to add, the reply in post # 25 (not from you) was a bit 'off topic' ,
if you see it as a reply to my post # 24, which can't have been read by the replier...
I didn't even realize at the time that it was directed to me.

I think Brian was actually responding (belatedly) to your replies #3 and #4--I think he had waited, hoping Dan Goodell might respond sooner--no way to know he was on holiday.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #58 - Dec 1st, 2010 at 12:01am

@
Dan Goodell

Quote:
Unfortunately, some partitioning tools—most notably, linux-based utilities—don’t freeze the value and let the C counter rollover to start counting up from zero again.

So....is it your best guess that this partition table *corruption* comes from a partitioning tool--and usually it's a linux based tool that causes this type of anomaly?

How about that
@
xcurious and
@
DL258--ring any bells--jog any memory of playing around with a linux based partitioning tool for any reason?

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #59 - Dec 1st, 2010 at 5:02am

NightOwl wrote on Dec 1st, 2010 at 12:01am:
is it your best guess that this partition table *corruption* comes from a partitioning tool--and usually it's a linux based tool that causes this type of anomaly?

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it's "usually" a linux based tool.  IME, other tools have created the same rollover effect.

Those with some experience in binary arithmetic will recognize this rollover effect is a natural occurrence.  Remember that computers work in binary, so in my previous example from Reply #12, the Cylinder number of 14793 (decimal) is 0011100111001001 in binary.  Note that 457 (decimal) is 0111001001 in binary.  The Cylinder fields in the partition descriptor are 10-bit numbers, so if you mask out the high-order bits in the decimal number 14793 and take only the low-order 10 bits, you end up putting 457 in the partition descriptor.

If you're not diligent, you end up with that natural rollover.  To do it properly, a program should mask out the low-order 10 bits and look at the high-order bits.  If there is any non-zero bit left, discard all low-order bits and substitute 1111111111 binary (1023 decimal) for the Cylinder field's 10 bits.

As you can see, inattentive programming yields natural rollover, while freezing the number is the method that requires extra steps.  Thus, we should expect there to be more than a few third-party tools that exhibit similar rollover behavior.  I frequently see rollover with linux utilities (like GParted, for example), but have also seen it in cases where the user insists they have never touched linux.

The more critical error, though, is the miscalculated extended partition descriptors.  I don't recall seeing that before.  (I examine lots of partition tables, but the majority don't include extended partitions.)  All the numbers add up perfectly (or perfectly wrong, as it were), so it's not an unintended bug in the program--some programmer consistently coded the app to perform the wrong calculation.  I haven't done a survey to see if there's any correlation here with linux tools or not, so I wouldn't want to jump to conclusions.

I've mentioned this before but not yet in this thread, that I've long held that installing Ghost 2003 and running it from Windows is extremely foolish.  Ghost 2003 is a DOS program and is reliable when used from a DOS boot, but running it from Windows is known to cause problems.  If I read correctly, both xcurious and DL258 noticed problems after installing Ghost 2003 in Windows, so I wouldn't rule out the possibility it's the Windows front end that's causing these problems.  It would take some work, but one way to tell for sure might be if xcurious and/or DL258 reconstructed their partition structure before Ghost 2003 was installed, then installed Ghost 2003 in Windows, and then captured PartInfo reports before and after running Ghost 2003 from Windows for the first time.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print