Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 11
Send Topic Print
reliable backup software for Windows 7 - Ghost 10 ?? (Read 204401 times)
henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

reliable backup software for Windows 7 - Ghost 10 ??
Jul 8th, 2012 at 1:06pm

Hiya  Smiley

[Couldn't seem to find where to post this - webmaster may take care of that, please]

After reading threads (see end of this post) for days I ended up confused, to say the least  Cheesy

My present PC:
board: ASUS A7N8X-X, nforce2-400
http://uk.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_Socket_A/A7N8XX/#overview

CPU: AMD Athlon XP Barton 2600+ (runs at 1.9GHz)
O/S: XP professional 32bit
---> E-IDE/PATA only. Not ready for Windows 7.

I would love to stick with XP & my beloved Ghost 2003, also after 2014 (end of support).
No matter what, I'll keep my XP-PC with Ghost 2003 separately for good.

One of the hardest things for me is to "let go" of Ghost 2003:
NightOwl invested AGES to teach me & made me finally have *command* over Ghost 2003.

NOW:

A friend {in very bad health, so no idea if that *project* is ever going to happen} will try to help me build a new computer + install Windows 7 Professional 64bit (+ real XP mode!), so I can keep most of my software. EXCEPT Ghost 2003, which is too complicated for me to handle on Windows 7 - according to what I read on here.

That means: Win 7 only, NO dual boot. NO XP.

My friend will do the formatting & partitioning the HDDs (new ones) NTFS [NOT on XP!].

I will have to buy a case, power supply, RAM, + other stuff.

Got already (stored):

2 HDD (Seagate 400GB >>> paid $150,- for each - believe it or not!) = E-IDE/PATA.
2 optical drives (E-IDE/PATA), floppy drive, board *ASRock ALiveNF6G-GLAN*
http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.de.asp?Model=ALiveNF6G-GLAN

Board has both E-IDE/PATA and SATA, not so my hardware.

CPU: *AMD Phenom X4 Black Edition (64), 2.6GHz True Quad-core*

My question > NightOwl  ?  Wink :

Is there a RELIABLE, EASY TO USE backup software for Win 7 you would recommend ? Possibly to use in DOS - is safer IMHO. A few bucks won't hurt after having spent a fortune on the other gear. 

As a matter of fact, I received Ghost 10 with Ghost 2003 - as a set. Ghost 10 with a manual which to read (and most of all to understand!!!) I doubt that I'd live to see that day. As I take from the board here, Ghost 10 + wind 7 is not recommendable (bugs) ??  (see link below).

LINKS (examples!):

"need confirmation - Ghost 2003 + Win 7:
http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1313846251

Ghost 2003 and 4kB sector size:
http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1327528620

Ghost + Windows 7 questions!:
http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1257809610/30#30

----> NightOwl's reply #44

Why Ghost 10?:
http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1134667885

---> reply #3 (Brian) "Ghost 10 has bugs!

Win7's SRP (System Reserved Partition) and Ghost 2003:
http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1321767917

>>> thought SRP = System Restore Point ? Before I create an image (XP) I delete all (except the latest) SRPs using CCleaner.

+ of course:
http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1265924057

I haven't THE SLIGHTEST idea about Win7 ...

henriette  Embarrassed

The problem's not the computer - the problem sits right in front of it ...

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: reliable backup software for Windows 7 - Ghost 10 ??
Reply #1 - Jul 8th, 2012 at 3:38pm

@
henriette

Just some quick comments to get this under way.

henriette wrote on Jul 8th, 2012 at 1:06pm:
CPU: AMD Athlon XP Barton 2600+ (runs at 1.9GHz)
O/S: XP professional 32bit
---> E-IDE/PATA only. Not ready for Windows 7.

I have Win7 on a computer much slower than yours. It runs fine.

Is there a RELIABLE, EASY TO USE backup software for Win 7 you would recommend ? Possibly to use in DOS - is safer IMHO.

Have a look at Image for DOS. It can run from a floppy, CD or USBFD.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/downloads-image-for-dos.htm

There is a 30 day free trial and I suggest using the GUI version as it is a little easier to use than the CUI version.

My friend will do the formatting & partitioning the HDDs (new ones)

Make sure you install Win7 into a partition rather than into unallocated space. That way you avoid getting a 100 MB System Reserved Partition and your booting files will be inside the Win7 partition.

I haven't THE SLIGHTEST idea about Win7 ...

Using it will be easier than you expected.

IP Logged

henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Reply #2 - Jul 9th, 2012 at 6:46am

@
Brian

Quote:
I have Win7 on a computer much slower than yours. It runs fine.

Can't remember all the reasons. Just the fact that my machine won't meet the requirements !!! ... and the CPU won't allow "XP mode" - yeah, that was the point!

Being able to have "real XP mode" is the most important *thing* about win7 for me!!!
The "new" board (still old) w/*AMD Phenom X4 Black Edition (64), True Quad Core* can do it.

Apart from that I really want to keep XP (as only O/S) on this computer, and this PC will be kept separately for good Wink
... as I said:
IF
the other win7 *project* will see the light. I can't rely in the least on that guy/friend.

Quote:
Have a look at Image for DOS. It can run from a floppy, CD or USBFD.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/downloads-image-for-dos.htm

Quote:
I suggest using the GUI version as it is a little easier to use than the CUI version

---> GUI is without commands, right ?
Yes, reads excellent! Going to buy that one. Will wait for awhile, though ...

Just a question aside:
If ever I would decide to uninstall Ghost 2003 from my present computer, I needed a 100% clean uninstall [meaning also all registry keys *connected* with Ghost].
Some years ago Symantec support (online) sent me several (!) versions of Ghost cleaner (or what it's called).
So which one am I to take ?

AFTER that: could I use "terabyteunlimited for Dos" instead (because easier to handle) ?
(think the ~ 90 images created with Ghost would be *for the bin*, eh?
Naaaa, in that case I'd better stick with Ghost 2003 on XP Wink

Quote:
Make sure you install Win7 into a partition rather than into unallocated space. That way you avoid getting a 100 MB System Reserved Partition and your booting files will be inside the Win7 partition.

That *100 MB System Reserved Partition* is a real pain, most of all because I don't understand it   Undecided

I've read & read & read, to no real understanding what its all about.

Will there still be any problems/workarounds with win7 regarding an image+restore+boot, when using terabytes backup software ?

henriette

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - Jul 9th, 2012 at 8:53am

@
henriette

Quote:
A friend {in very bad health, so no idea if that *project* is ever going to happen}

Well, several of the regulars here have built their own systems over the years--we can probably help you do it on your own, with on-line web *how to's*, etc. if need be.  Also, many of the new user manuals that come with motherboards are pretty good at showing the steps and have pictures to help as well.

Quote:
so I can keep most of my software. EXCEPT Ghost 2003, which is too complicated for me to handle on Windows 7 - according to what I read on here.

Ghost 2003 works just fine on systems with Win7!!!!  There are some steps involved to make using Ghost 2003 (or any imaging program for that matter) *easier*--but, those steps are not as hard as you think from reading some of the posts here--things are always harder looking than when you actually sit down and do them!

Ghost 2003 was developed in the WinXP era--before Win Vista was released.  Microsoft changed the way Windows boots with the release of Win Vista and Ghost 2003 doesn't understand that.  But, you can work around that with Ghost 2003, if you know what's needed--and you can change how you install Windows to make it even easier--and you can change the Windows boot sequence so it acts just like old WinXP--that makes things even easier yet!

Quote:
Is there a RELIABLE, EASY TO USE backup software for Win 7 you would recommend ? Possibly to use in DOS - is safer IMHO. A few bucks won't hurt after having spent a fortune on the other gear.

Brian has already suggested one of the most common, widely used alternate to Ghost for the consumer.  He has already mentioned that making some of the changes to the *standard* install of Win7 to make even that imaging program *easier* to use.

I'll comment on the other items later, have to run for now.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #4 - Jul 10th, 2012 at 4:14pm

@
henriette

henriette wrote on Jul 9th, 2012 at 6:46am:
GUI is without commands, right ?

CUI = Character User Interface (the black/blue screen shots)
GUI = Graphical User Interface (the graphical screen shots)

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-dos-ss.htm

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #5 - Jul 11th, 2012 at 11:53am

@
henriette

Quote:
>>> thought SRP = System Restore Point ? Before I create an image (XP) I delete all (except the latest) SRPs using CCleaner.

As you have figured out--SRP is not equal to *System Restore Point*--it's the *System Reserved Partition*.

Quote:
That *100 MB System Reserved Partition* is a real pain, most of all because I don't understand it   

I've read & read & read, to no real understanding what its all about.

Yes, it's a *pain*--mostly because it has no meaning or use to the average user (I'll explain that in a minute)!  But, don't let it *throw you*--it's really fairly simple once you get the reasons why it exists.

The SRP is simply a *partition*--it is used by Win7 (started with Vista--but, I think you had to create it manually for Vista--was not created by default until Win7).

It's the *boot partition*.  Why do we need a *boot partition* you ask?  *We* don't!!!!!   Beginning with Win Vista, Microsoft began offering a whole drive encryption program called *BitLocker* -- but, that program option only comes if you purchased the Ultimate or Enterprise editions of Windows--which very few average Windows consumers purchase--it does not come with the *Pro* versions of Windows.  But, Microsoft set up the installation program to create that partition for *everyone* even though it has no use, again, to the average user.

Quote:
In order for BitLocker to operate, the hard disk requires at least two NTFS-formatted volumes: one for the operating system (usually C:) and another with a minimum size of 100 MB[13] from which the operating system boots. BitLocker requires the boot volume to remain unencrypted—on Windows Vista this volume must be assigned a drive letter, while on Windows 7 that is not required.

So why the *boot partition* for the users of *BitLocker*?  Because, you can not boot a system from an *encrypted* drive--there has to be at least one partition that is unencrypted for the system to begin the boot process--i.e. has the initial boot files.  Once the user enters their password into the initial unencrypted boot sequence, then the system continues on to the encrypted OS partition.

The other *feature* of the new boot files--they are, by default, locked to a specific HDD and partition that has an identification tag associated with it.  That's where older imaging programs begin to have problems.  When they restore an image--that ID for the HDD is erased and a new one is created--and that means the partition ID number is no longer that same--because it's based on the HDD ID number.  So the boot files will not find the correct HDD and partition--and you will have a boot failure.  This can be *fixed* by using the Windows installation CD and running a *boot repair* sequence.

But, the two above issues can be *by-passed*!  If you install Win7 onto HDD that has already been partitioned--using an appropriate sequence, you can avoid having the installation program create that SRP.  (When you have the SRP that contains the boot files, and a separate OS partition--then the OS partition depends on the presence of the SRP in order to boot--even if you are not using encryption--so you have to back up both partitions--and if needed, restore both partitions if installing a new HDD--you can't just backup and restore the OS partition by itself (you can if you are restoring to the same HDD and there has been no changes to the HDD ID--if that changes (by having the old imaging program zeroing the disk ID--which is what Ghost 2003 does by default), then you will have a boot failure--again, you can *fix* that problem!

And the second problem of having the boot files *locked* to a specific HDD ID--you can do what's called *generalizing* the boot files so they no longer look for that specific HDD ID--but instead just look for the *device*--i.e. the HDD that is to be booted from based on the BIOS settings.

So, if you do the above two changes--Win7 will now act like your current WinXP acts as far as Ghost 2003 is concerned.  You can backup and restore your OS to present or replacement HDDs, and it should boot without any issues.  And, you do not have to jump through any new *hoops* or add any special settings to how you run Ghost 2003.

Making the above two changes requires jumping through some *hoops* that are not the *default* setup for installing Win7--but they are not that hard to do--just have to follow the sequence of steps in an outline.  They are easier to do when setting up and installing a new Win7 installation--harder to do if you allow the installation program to install Win7 using the default installation process first, and then trying to *fix* it!

I haven't gone into the details of how to make the above fixes--that can wait until you actually need to jump through those *hoops*!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Reply #6 - Jul 15th, 2012 at 9:15am

@
Brian
Quote:
Make sure you install Win7 into a partition rather than into unallocated space. That way you avoid getting a 100 MB System Reserved Partition and your booting files will be inside the Win7 partition

Yes, and I will be installing "Windows 7 professional 64 bit"

Also will purchase:
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-dos-ss.htm
and install it on Win 7. Using the GUI version, run from floppy or CD (will see).

Will NEED *XP mode* Tongue

Quote:
CUI = Character User Interface (the black/blue screen shots)
GUI = Graphical User Interface (the graphical screen shots)

Thanks very much for explaining  Wink

@
NightOwl
Quote:
a whole drive encryption program called *BitLocker*
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitLocker_Drive_Encryption ...
it does not come with the *Pro* versions of Windows.

Fine, I have the pro version. So I don't have to care about that *BitLocker*, right ?
[Thanks, btw, can read the wiki-link in German Wink].

Quote:
But, Microsoft set up the installation program to create that partition for *everyone* even though it has no use, again, to the average user.

??? > "*quote 1* + *quote 2* above = contradiction in terms ???
You said it does NOT come with Wind 7 pro Huh

Quote:
The other *feature* of the new boot files ... | But, the two Huh
> only 1 left for me <
Huh ... above issues can be *by-passed*!  If you install Win7 onto HDD that has already been partitioned--using an appropriate sequence, you can avoid having the installation program create that SRP.  (When you have the SRP that contains the boot files, and a separate OS partition--then the OS partition depends on the presence of the SRP in order to boot--even if you are not using encryption--so you have to back up both partitions--and if needed, restore both partitions if installing a new HDD--you can't just backup and restore the OS partition by itself (you can if you are restoring to the same HDD and there has been no changes to the HDD ID--if that changes (by having the old imaging program zeroing the disk ID--which is what Ghost 2003 does by default), then you will have a boot failure--again, you can *fix* that problem!

myomyomy!
  Tongue

And the second problem of having the boot files *locked* to a specific HDD ID--you can do what's called *generalizing* the boot files so they no longer look for that specific HDD ID--but instead just look for the *device*--i.e. the HDD that is to be booted from based on the BIOS settings.

So, if you do the above two changes--Win7 will now act like your current WinXP acts as far as Ghost 2003 is concerned.  You can backup and restore your OS to present or replacement HDDs, and it should boot without any issues.  And, you do not have to jump through any new *hoops* or add any special settings to how you run Ghost 2003.

Making the above two changes requires jumping through some *hoops* that are not the *default* setup for installing Win7--but they are not that hard to do--just have to follow the sequence of steps in an outline.  They are easier to do when setting up and installing a new Win7 installation--harder to do if you allow the installation program to install Win7 using the default installation process first, and then trying to *fix* it!

I haven't gone into the details of how to make the above fixes--that can wait until you actually need to jump through those *hoops*!

Yeah, let's wait & *talk it over* when I'm *ready* - still at least 1 year to go!  Wink ... I'll start with the hardware stuff when time.

The hardest thing for me will be installing Win7 & all its  tweaks (which I did right after installing XP pro)
+ how to *get* the *virtual XP mode* done etc.  Roll Eyes

FYI: Hardware I got so far:
° midi tower
° power supply (450W)
° board *ASRockAlive...* (manual see attachment) ---> one 133 for 2 IDE only + floppy drive!
Others SATA!
< will be problem  Undecided
° CPU *AMD Phenom X4 Black Edition (64), True Quad Core*
° RAM (4GB corsair)
° HDDs internal, E-IDE/PATA only!  Tongue
° floppy drive
° CD OR! DVD optical drive SATA (searching basement what's what, when time!)
° CD/DVD optical drive PATA
Need Graca - have only VGA Radeon HD 3450 (spare) !!! = board probs! [I don't need a high end graphiccard, a simple one will do].

... got DVD *Windows 7 professional 64bit (+32bit > *unreliable guy* {mind: we had arranged a meeting yesterday, he didn't show up} recommended 64bit).

Going to buy:
° malwarebytes backup software

Will see whatelse I'll need. No more $$ for the time being.

henriette *take yer time & think twice before acting ... and most of all: DIY!*

IP Logged

henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Reply #7 - Jul 15th, 2012 at 9:34am

2nd part ASRock board specs attached!

henriette  Kiss

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #8 - Jul 16th, 2012 at 9:59am

@
henriette

Quote:
Yeah, let's wait & *talk it over* when I'm *ready* - still at least 1 year to go!   ... I'll start with the hardware stuff when time.

FYI: Hardware I got so far:° midi tower
° power supply (450W)
° board *ASRockAlive...* (manual see attachment) ---> one 133 for 2 IDE only + floppy drive! Others SATA!< will be problem 
° CPU *AMD Phenom X4 Black Edition (64), True Quad Core*
° RAM (4GB corsair)
° HDDs internal, E-IDE/PATA only! 
° floppy drive
° CD OR! DVD optical drive SATA (searching basement what's what, when time!)
° CD/DVD optical drive PATA

Why are you waiting a year before setting up a new system?  Sure looks like you have everything you need--except a keyboard and mouse--those can be real cheap to buy--and maybe a monitor--but you could share that fairly easily with your WinXP system!

Did a quick search and found the following:

Is this your motherboard?

ALiveNF6G-GLAN

This shows a pretty good outline of setting up the motherboard:  ALiveNF6G-GLAN User Manual

But, the User Manual doesn't say much about appling the thermal paste to the CPU before mounting the heat sink/fan--so here's the recommended method for Artic Silver--the *dot method*:

Application methods for applying thermal compound to AMD® CPU

Middle Dot Method

According to the specifications, your motherboard has a built-in graphics chip--so unless you're a big time *gamer* or someone with high powered graphics needs--you don't really need a separate graphics card--if you have a monitor that requires digital input only, then you might have a problem--your motherboard has analog only output.  You can add a graphics card and manually configure your motherboard to keep the built-in graphics output on so you can have dual monitors--if that's needed.

Also, there's a built-in audio chip--so no need for a sound card--unless you require high end audio output.

The motherboard is very *DOS* friendly--it has both PS/2 mouse and keyboard input jacks--so you don't have to use USB mouse and keyboard--DOS will recognize the PS/2 devices without any problems.  Also, there is a *parallel printer port*--that will probably allow you to use the *Print Screen* key when booted to DOS--to print out what's on the screen at the moment.  On most of my systems, it allows me to use *Print Screen* key when I'm in the BIOS setup utility (that's before any OS is loaded by the system).  So, I can get a hard copy of the BIOS settings if need be.  Of cource you need a printer that uses parallel printer port input--and not USB input.

Quote:
... got DVD *Windows 7 professional 64bit (+32bit > *unreliable guy* {mind: we had arranged a meeting yesterday, he didn't show up} recommended 64bit).

The main reason to go *64 bit* is to use larger amounts of RAM--you can use more than other parts of the system will support, in theory at least (Theoretically: 16.8 million terabytes!)--the OS will not support as much as the 64 bit option offers--and the CPU probably can not address the potential!  64 bit also potentially can address *huge* HDDs--but those are still in the future as far as the everyday user is concerned.

So, 64 bit *is the future!*--but the down side will be that any 32 bit programs will be *emulated* on a 64 bit system--so could see a performance decrease and/or not compatible and will not run at all--so some software will not work unless newer versions that are 64 bit programs!

Running out of space, so see next post........

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #9 - Jul 16th, 2012 at 10:13am

@
henriette

So, a continuation of the last post:

Quoting from the  Windows Vista editions--re:  64 bit :  (I know--it's not the Win7 entry!)

Quote:
64-bit versions

To support 64-bit platforms such as Intel Xeon, Intel Core 2, AMD Opteron and AMD Athlon 64, Microsoft released 64-bit versions of every edition of Windows Vista except for the Starter edition. These editions can run 32-bit programs by running them within the WOW64 subsystem. Most 32-bit programs can run natively, though applications that rely on device drivers will not run unless those device drivers have been written for 64-bit Windows. Most older hardware doesn't have the necessary support to get the drivers written.[22][23][24]

Other applications may have difficulty as well. For example, the Visual Basic 6 IDE will run natively on 32-bit editions, but will not run at all on 64-bit editions.[25] Some application vendors will only provide full / premium product versions for 64-bit Vista and cut down versions for 32-bit Vista (e.g. Adobe Premier Elements is 32-bit and the full Adobe Premier is available for 64-bit Vista - with more capability but at a much higher price).

Various reviewers have reported that the 64-bit editions of Windows Vista outperform their 32-bit counterparts in synthetic benchmarks such as PassMark.[26][27][28] For example, in early testing of 64-bit support in Photoshop for Windows, overall performance gains ranged from 8% to 12%. Those who work with extremely large files may realize noticeably greater gains in performance, in some cases as dramatic as ten times the previous speed. This is because 64-bit applications can address larger amounts of memory and thus result in less file swapping — one of the biggest factors that can affect data processing speed.[29]

All 64-bit versions of Microsoft operating systems currently impose a 16 TB limit on address space. Processes created on the 64-bit editions of Windows Vista can have 8 TB in virtual memory for user processes and 8 TB for kernel processes to create a virtual memory of 16 TB.[30] In terms of physical memory Windows Vista 64-Bit Basic supports up to 8 GB of RAM, Windows Vista 64-Bit Home Premium supports up to 16 GB of RAM, and Windows Vista 64-Bit Business/Enterprise/Ultimate supports up to 128 GB of RAM.[8]

Gives you some idea of the pluses and minuses of 64 bit.

With 32 bit, you can access only approximately 3.5 GB of RAM.  You are only going to gain, with your 4 GB of RAM--about 0.5 GB of usable RAM by using the 64 bit version of Win7.  So unless you plan on adding more RAM (this would allow you to work with larger files that can be loaded into RAM--I suspect, unless you are doing video or photo editing, CAD design programs, huge spread sheets, etc., you probably will not actually need those large amounts of RAM! 

So, it's a tough decision--64 or 32 bit--I think I will stay with 32 bit for now, until I run into a *must have* feature or program that *requires* 64 bit--so I will have to be *pushed*  Wink !

Quote:
Going to buy:

Not familiar with that--links?

IP Logged

henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Reply #10 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 8:58am

@
NightOwl
Quote:
Why are you waiting a year before setting up a new system? ... looks like you have everything you need ... you could share that fairly easily with your WinXP system!

No way!

a) I told you that I'll keep my present PC [DONALD] separate from the new one.

b) Been up since 5a.m. searching for (examples!):

Chipset driver update, BIOS update for CPU++ (latest from 2009), graphiccard (need digital input) - graca w/low power consumption - VGA PCIe 1.0, Driver for graca {read that ATI Radeon not recommended 'cause onboard would be NVIDIA ... I always had ATI & if possible will stick with ATI}, aso. aso. - EXCEPT BIOS upd
nothing yet!

Quote:
You can add a graphics card and manually configure your motherboard to keep the built-in graphics output on so you can have dual monitors--if that's needed.

I wouldn't think so.

Yes, my board is:
http://www.asrock.com/mb/NVIDIA/ALiveNF6G-GLAN/
sorry forgot to mention.

The board is said to support win7, although not in the manual, I hope it will! --> there is also the matter to which version of BIOS updating ? And what Chipset driver version available ???

Quote:
The motherboard is very *DOS* friendly
hehehehe
... there is a *parallel printer port*--that will probably allow you to use the *Print Screen* key when booted to DOS--to print out what's on the screen at the moment.  On most of my systems, it allows me to use *Print Screen* key when I'm in the BIOS setup utility (that's before any OS is loaded by the system).  So, I can get a hard copy of the BIOS settings if need be.  Of cource
you need a printer that uses parallel printer port input
--and not USB input.

Do you mean printer connected to parallel port ?

Got it like that for ages. Don't use the usb ports for printer.
BUT: (sorry, don't know manual by heart) > will this be possible with new board ?
I also need more free usb ports for external HDDs (only connected for backups).

You might not have considered:
I told in my last post that I have:
2x internal HDDs (Seagate, 400GB) E-IDE/PATA plus
1x audiophile! CD burner (optical drive) E-IDE/PATA
1x DVD burner (optical drive) E-IDE/PATA
1x floppy drive E-IDE/PATA.

Now: that won't work with my new board. It can hold 2 E-IDE/PATA + floppy drive. Then I would be lost with my HDDs  Sad

I thought I might find any kind of adapter > PATA|SATA - what do you think ? That would save my A$$  Grin
BUT! I read about those adapters & its bad quality/compatibility
etc. - maybe you have an idea or link ?

SOUND:
Got ° USB Sound System. No soundcard needed.

AND: I'm not willing to use any onboard crap!!

keyboard, mouse & monitor > got *in stock*, no problem there.
Both PS/2.

note *in between*: I am waiting for TIME & $$ + for email reply from ASRock support. Hoping for some links Tongue

Quote:
appling the thermal paste to the CPU

THAT is definitely my least problem, do it every 6 months at least  Wink ---> Arctic silver middle dot.
Thanks for reminding, anyway  Kiss

note #2 *in between*: I do know this & that, where some other users may have probs. Instead - there's a great deal of HowTo's I have no idea, which 'everyday' users are familiar with  Tongue

In other words: I'm grateful for each & every *hint* you can give me  Kiss

Can't seem to find out (manual) where to plug (PCI slot) network LAN card.

Windows 7:
Quote:
The main reason to go *64 bit* is to use larger amounts of RAM

The *guy* told me it was also for better drivers.

Quote:
the CPU probably can not address the potential!

Talking specifically about my *AMD Phenom X4 (64) BE True QuadCore|2,6GHz|socket AM2+|4MB total L2+L3 cache|model HD995ZXAGHBOX = 9950* ???

Quote:
64 bit also potentially can address *huge* HDDs--but those are still in the future as far as the everyday user is concerned.

I don't & won't have *huge* HDDs.

The *guy* need 'em for XXXXXXXXX movies & all stuff he can get hold of.  Roll Eyes

Quote:
so some software will not work (64) ... not compatible and will not run at all

Shocked I need my *old* software!!!!!!

{read vista 64bit link - naaaaaaaaa!!!!! That's definitely not what I want}

BUT: What about the *virtual XP mode* in wind 7 pro 32bit* ???

----> let's forget about 64bit, we're gonna talk about 32bit from now on, ok  Smiley

I told you that I also have *Windows 7 professional 32bit DVD*

note #3: hope the Wind 7 pro DVDs will work! Got S/N.

However, I'll need a step-by-step install guide (what when!).
Wrote a *documentation* myself for XP  Grin

Quote:
With 32 bit, you can access only approximately 3.5 GB of RAM. You are only going to gain, with your 4 GB of RAM--about 0.5 GB of usable RAM by using the 64 bit version of Win7.  So
unless you plan on adding more RAM (this would allow you to work with larger files that can be loaded into RAM
--I suspect,So unless you plan on adding more RAM (this would allow you to work with larger files that can be loaded into RAM--I suspect, unless you are doing video or photo editing, CAD design programs, huge spread sheets, etc., you probably will not actually need those large amounts of RAM!

Corsair forum wrote:
"Two equal *VS4GBKIT800D2* are not supported or suggested. The use of 2 kits have not been tested together. There is no way to tell if any of 2 kits will run together ...

No CAD,photo etc.!

Quote:
Going to buy:

Not familiar with that--links?

Yes, waiting for pennies from heaven, though  Grin

That's another point why it has to wait -- for quite some time.
Gotta pay my rent +++++!

henriette  *case not unpacked, yet*

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #11 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 12:23pm

@
henriette

Just a couple quick comments--I don't have more time this morning--but, I'll come back later with other comments on the other points of your post:

Quote:
@NightOwl
Quote:

Why are you waiting a year before setting up a new system? ... looks like you have everything you need ... you could share that fairly easily with your WinXP system!

No way!

Just to be clear--we're talking about the *monitor* here--there's no system interaction between the two systems!  You unplug the monitor hooked up to the WinXP system, move it if needed to where the Win7 system is sitting, plug it in to the graphic's port of the Win7 system, use it until you're done on that system, then unplug and move it back to the other system!  *Sharing* doesn't mean the two systems access the same monitor at the same time in this case!  You will not have both systems up and running at the same time!

Quote:

Chipset driver update, BIOS update for CPU++ (latest from 2009), graphiccard (need digital input) - graca w/low power consumption - VGA PCIe 1.0, Driver for graca {read that ATI Radeon not recommended 'cause onboard would be NVIDIA ... I always had ATI & if possible will stick with ATI}, aso. aso. - EXCEPT BIOS upd nothing yet!

Sometimes I have no idea what you have just said  Grin --*aso. aso. - EXCEPT BIOS upd nothing yet*--I'm sure this means (meant?) something to you--but I'm lost for what you're trying to tell us here!

Had to do some searching--finally figured out that *graca* is slang for *graphics card*!

Quote:
graphiccard (need digital input)

So, you already have a monitor that can only use digital input?

Quote:
VGA PCIe 1.0

I assume you are talking about PCIe v1.x vs v2.x vs 3.x--and not the *x1* slot vs the *x16* slot?

If you're talking about an *x1* card, that might not be the *best* option for an add-on graphics card--2.4 Expansion Slots (PCI and PCI Express Slots)

Read here:  What kind of expansion slot should you use for your video card?

Unfortunately, your user manual does not specifically say whether your PCIe slots are v2.x or v1.x!  Based on this thread, you probably have PCIe v1.x:  What pcie slot version i have? (Chipset:NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430) .  It talks about how to run software to determine what you have--but the system has to be up and running for this!

Quote:

You might want to get a small brown paper bag, crumple up the opening, and hold it to your mouth--breath in and out slowly   Grin  --(just kidding  Wink !)  But, you often times sound like you're *hyperventilating* over things that you have not even began to do!  Sit back and relax--you can hook everything up, install Win7,.--you can set your system up *as is* and it will probably run without any additional intervention on your part.  And then, as time permits--do updates and upgrades--add various add-on cards, tweak the Win7 OS, etc., etc!

More to come later.

IP Logged

henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Reply #12 - Jul 21st, 2012 at 10:18am

@
NightOwl

Correction first:
Quote:
Going to buy: malwarebytes backup software

wrong, must be *terabyteunlimited*  Roll Eyes

henriette wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
we're talking about the *monitor* here--there's no system interaction between the two systems!  You unplug the monitor hooked up to the WinXP system, move it if needed to where the Win7 system is sitting, plug it in to the graphic's port of the Win7 system, use it until you're done on that system, then unplug and move it back to the other system!  *Sharing* doesn't mean the two systems access the same monitor at the same time in this case!  You will not have both systems up and running at the same time!

That's pretty clear, yes. If I had the space in my small room, I'd put up my 2nd monitor.

My apologies for my poor language:
Quote:
Sometimes I have no idea what you have just said   --*aso. aso. - EXCEPT BIOS upd nothing yet*--I'm sure this means (meant?) something to you--but I'm lost for what you're trying to tell us here!

Had to do some searching--finally figured out that *graca* is slang for *graphics card*!

Explanation:
*graca* = graphic card
*aso* = and so on
*Except BIOS upd nothing yet* = I did not make it to download more than a BIOS update from ASRock homepage, yet.
..................................      Grin     .....................................................

Quote:
So, you already have a monitor that can only use digital input?

Not only > I use only the digital input. No analog cable is being connected. There's no need if I have a graphic card with digital output.

Quote:
I assume you are talking about PCIe v1.x vs v2.x vs 3.x--and not the *x1* slot vs the *x16* slot?

Well, well ... I received an email reply from ASRock support (my board). I will try to translate it into English - which isn't all that easy, since the guy who wrote it is from the Netherlands, trying his *best* German, including lingual mistakes that even I had problems to understand  Grin
So here we go:
"The board has a connection for IDE drives where you can connect master/slave = 2 drives.
The IDE cable has 3 connections: 1 for the board and 2 for the drives
assuming he's talking about the CD+DVD drives here - and I would think that the floppy drive will be connected by the power supply, as well.
There's no new version of chipset. You can only update the BIOS
I downloaded version 1.80, latest
For the board you can only use PCI Express graphic cards - take older one - board has *PCI Express version 1.0*"

Useless to say that I wasn't able to find any graphic card PCIE 1.0 (x16) | DirectX 9.0 (!!)

It's high time to give you the url of the board manual (English.pdf):

http://www.asrock.com/mb/NVIDIA/ALiveNF6G-GLAN/?cat=Manual
---> just click > pdf will open. You may want to save it for later discussions.

There you'll find all infos available of board! Also see page 16 > expansion slots!
(Only available in English). Will have to print it, cause the *board manual* (multiligual) is just a quick install guide.

But, oh, I don't have any CD with the board!
IMO that would mean to download all I can get hold of (chipset, drivers .........) from the homepage. Correct ?

GERMAN boards (I don't trust them!) try to convince me to take Windows 7 64bit instead 32bit.
I read a lot about the *XP mode* and how to's. Not sure, though, if, when installing 64bit - XPmode will be 32bit.
Noone seems to be sure about that.

That's why I mention it here again. I rememeber well that you recommended me to install Win 7, 32bit.

Quote:
You might want to get a small brown paper bag, crumple up the opening, and hold it to your mouth--breath in and out slowly     --(just kidding   !)  But, you often times sound like you're *hyperventilating* over things that you have not even began to do!  Sit back and relax--you can hook everything up, install Win7,.--you can set your system up *as is* and it will probably run without any additional intervention on your part.  And then, as time permits--do updates and upgrades--add various add-on cards, tweak the Win7 OS, etc., etc!

Grin Grin Grin You're quite right, provided that I DO already have all hardware stuff!
I still need a graphic card, a LAN card, cooler/fan for CPU [must fit into midi tower!]
http://www.thermalright.com/products/index.php?act=data&cat_id=38&id=178

My midi Tower:
http://www.xigmatek.com/product.php?productid=154

... and the confirmation that I definitely don't need any adapter for my E-IDE gear
> 2x HDD, 2x optical drive + 1x floppy drive (all E-IDE/PATA!).

henriette  Smiley

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #13 - Jul 21st, 2012 at 11:37am

@
henriette

Quote:
Well, well ... I received an email reply from ASRock support (my board). I will try to translate it into English - which isn't all that easy, since the guy who wrote it is from the Netherlands, trying his *best* German, including lingual mistakes that even I had problems to understand

Made me laugh  Grin !

Quote:
Not only > I use only the digital input. No analog cable is being connected. There's no need if I have a graphic card with digital output.

I understand--but, you said you were limited by spending more $ on hardware and software for now--you have a motherboard that has a built in Graphics Chip, but it has only an analog output--so you do not have to buy a Digital Output Graphics card for now (although, you can probably get a good one for around $50.00 USD)--that could be a future upgrade.  If your current monitor will accept an analog connection--an analog cord is probably *cheap*!

In the past, I have tried both analog and digital outputs on the same system--honestly, I could not see a difference in quality or rendering speed.  Maybe there are some circumstances where one can see a difference--I couldn't!

Quote:
For the board you can only use PCI Express graphic cards - take older one - board has *PCI Express version 1.0*"
Useless to say that I wasn't able to find any graphic card PCIE 1.0 (x16) | DirectX 9.0 (!!)

You should be able to use any 2.0 or 2.1 version of the PCIE (x16) graphics card--they are all supposed to be *backward compatible*--so should work fine on your motherboard--just won't have the v2.x capabilities--but, that's the limitation of the motherboard--not the PCIE card!

Quote:
It's high time to give you the url of the board manual (English.pdf):

I mentioned a link above--is this the correct one:

NightOwl wrote on Jul 16th, 2012 at 9:59am:
This shows a pretty good outline of setting up the motherboard:  ALiveNF6G-GLAN User Manual

Quote:
"The board has a connection for IDE drives where you can connect master/slave = 2 drives.
The IDE cable has 3 connections: 1 for the board and 2 for the drives....

assuming he's talking about the CD+DVD drives here - and I would think that the floppy drive will be connected by the power supply, as well..

Well, you switched from talking about the *communication* cable to the *power supply* cable for the floppy drive--two different things!  The floppy drive uses it own separate, specific *communication* cable--not the same as the HDD or optical drive  com cable--in older floppy drives, you could connect that cable either way in the receptacle--if you reversed it, you could fry the floppy drive and/or possibly the motherboard--newer floppy drive are *keyed* so the cable can only go one way--so be careful about that hookup!

Also, floppy drives have their own special power input connector--but most power supplies come with at least one power outlet connector for floppy drive type connectors.

Quote:
But, oh, I don't have any CD with the board!
IMO that would mean to download all I can get hold of (chipset, drivers .........) from the homepage. Correct ?

Correct--you should be able to download everything that's needed.  Often older boards don't have any new drivers after a couple years on the market.

Quote:
GERMAN boards (I don't trust them!) try to convince me to take Windows 7 64bit instead 32bit.
I read a lot about the *XP mode* and how to's. Not sure, though, if, when installing 64bit - XPmode will be 32bit.

That's why I mention it here again. I rememeber well that you recommended me to install Win 7, 32bit.

Well, that's what I said I was going to do  Wink  --didn't necessarily mean you should:

NightOwl wrote on Jul 16th, 2012 at 10:13am:
So, it's a tough decision--64 or 32 bit--I think I will stay with 32 bit for now, until I run into a *must have* feature or program that *requires* 64 bit--so I will have to be *pushed* !

Quote:
provided that I DO already have all hardware stuff!
I still need a graphic card, a LAN card ... and the confirmation that I definitely don't need any adapter for my E-IDE gear
> 2x HDD, 2x optical drive + 1x floppy drive (all E-IDE/PATA!).

You don't *need* a graphics card--that could be a later upgrade as mentioned before. 

You don't need a LAN card--that's also available as a built in on your motherboard!  Specifications

Quote:
LAN

- Gigabit LAN 10/100/1000 Mb/s
- Giga PHY Realtek RTL8211B

You can not hook up two PATA HDDs and two PATA optical drives--you have only one PATA communication cable hookup on the motherboard.  Each PATA com cable can have a max of two PATA devices--mix or match HDDs or optical drives.  You will have to use the 4 SATA ports for SATA devices if you want more than the two PATA devices.

Or, you could buy a PCI PATA controller and hook it up to one of the PCI slots to add additional PATA devices--there's always one more way to do things on a computer!

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #14 - Jul 21st, 2012 at 11:47am

@
henriette

henriette wrote on Jul 21st, 2012 at 10:18am:

The *XP Mode* is an emulator to run software on a Win7 64 bit system that would not otherwise run on a Win7 64 bit system.  WinXP is essentially a 32 bit system--so, yes the XP Mode will run those 32 bit programs. 

But, if you have older hardware, like scanners or printers, that do not have 64 bit drivers--even though the 32 bit XP software is running just fine in the Win7 XP Mode--you still will not be able to use those older pieces of hardware--when the XP Mode ports the output for those devices--they will have to have 64 bit drivers in Win7 if they are going to work!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 11
Send Topic Print