Send Topic Print
Ghost for Win 7 (Read 149185 times)
roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Ghost for Win 7
Sep 17th, 2013 at 10:12pm

hi y'all... I'm back!!!  God is good! Am doing much better!

would like to know the earliest version of Ghost that can image both to and from for Win7 installed in only one partition ??

I think I tried using my 2003, but can't remember the results... I think it allowed me to make an image, but couldn't get it to reimage to a partition... could be wrong...

thanks!

roxe

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Re: Ghost for Win 7
Reply #1 - Sep 17th, 2013 at 10:16pm

Hi Rad, Christer, NightOwl, El_Pescador!!!!
so glad you are still here!!  Grin

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #2 - Sep 18th, 2013 at 2:01am

Hi roxe,
welcome back ... Smiley ... !

There's a long thread on how to use Ghost 2003 with Windows 7. I have used it from a floppy, not the installed version, successfully since 2010. I don't have the time right now to find it, you'll have to do a search.

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - Sep 18th, 2013 at 9:32am

@
roxe

Quote:
hi y'all... I'm back!!!

Hey--I remember you!  It's been awhile....but, always glad to welcome a member back to talk about Ghost, imaging, computing, etc..

Quote:
God is good! Am doing much better!

Hmmm...that seems to be a *loaded* statement--dare I ask?  Or, just leave it as is?

Quote:
would like to know the earliest version of Ghost that can image both to and from for Win7 installed in only one partition ??

It always makes me smile how a poster on a forum can condense a *simple* question down to such a short one line statement--but, the response could produce *reams* of replies and other questions!  Wink

So here the questions come!

*the earliest version of Ghost*  You mention Ghost 2003--does your question want to know if Ghost 2002, or Ghost 2001 can be used with Win7?  Or, are we going the other direction--Ghost 14, or Ghost 15?

Quote:
that can image both to and from for Win7

I forget, were (are) you using Ghost 2003 from bootable media that you boot to DOS, and perform your imaging from there?  Or, are you installing the Windows Ghost 2003 interface, and doing your imaging by setting up the procedure within Windows, and allowing Ghost to close down Windows, perform the imaging, and then re-boot to Windows?

Quote:
for Win7 installed in only one partition

So, have you taken the *special* steps to prevent Win7 from doing its default installation that creates the special boot partition (the SRP) in addition to the OS partition.

And, if you wish to use Ghost 2003 without using special settings, one needs to *generalize* the boot files so the boot process does not look for a specific HDD ID number, but instead just looks for the boot *device*.  Ghost 2003 will erase the HDD ID number by default, and that will prevent Win7 from booting without doing a *boot repair* to fix that problem (by using the Win7 installation CD to do the repair).  Or, you can use special Ghost switches to prevent Ghost 2003 from erasing the HDD ID number when restoring an image.

Christer wrote on Sep 18th, 2013 at 2:01am:
There's a long thread on how to use Ghost 2003 with Windows 7.

There have been a number of different threads--I suspect this is the one Christer is referring to:

Ghost 2003 strategy for Windows 7

To help with searching, here are some other links that might offer additional help and reading to further your quest:

Windows 7 and SRP    

Ghost + Windows 7 Questions!     (Dan Goodell's explains why SRP exists!)  Quoting:  "The rub is that BitLocker is only available in the Ultimate and Enterprise versions of Windows 7.  So for 99% of us, BitLocker isn't an option--and thus isn't a legitimate excuse to saddle us with a System Reserved partition.")

Ghost + Windows 7 Questions!       (Brian explains how to remove SRP--apparently have to use Vista or Part PE, Bing, and Win7 installation CD do make boot repairs!)

Ghost + Windows 7 Questions!--Reply #42   (Brian outlines how to remove SRP (or Dell's Recovery Partition)--using only BING--Not Win7 installation CD)

Ghost + Windows 7 Questions!--Reply #49
(Brian re-states the outline for removing the SRP (or Dell's Recovery Partition)--Using only BING!)

Win7--Installing without 100 MB Partition from Win7 Installation CD:

How to Prevent Windows 7 from Creating a Hidden /Recovery /System Reserved Partition during Installation

Hack to Remove 100 MB System Reserved Partition When Installing Windows 7

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #4 - Sep 18th, 2013 at 4:27pm

Thanks Christer!! Smiley

Oh, NightOwl... I just knew you would write me a book... LOLOL... you are so sweet!

I'm using 2003 on a CD that I burned from a floppy...

The only thing I added to the floppy was putting the mouse driver on it since I never could get the drop-down menu to work  Roll Eyes

so what are you talking about  the hdd id number???

is there something else I need to do to the files and then reburn it to a CD??? if so, what??

As for the "am doing much better"... situation-wise and health-wise... that's all.... Praise God!!

Good to see this place hasn't burned down... good to be back  Grin

joyb2u,
roxe

how I did my CD...
made the floppy using 2003.793 (with added mouse driver etc)...  copied all floppy files to hdd... used Nero to burn those files to CD... and it works!!

how I'd like to modify the current CD...
copy files to hdd... modify for "device" instead of "hdd id number"... burn with Nero back to new CD...

possible????  eh???

if so, I need the "dummy" step by step to do this...

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #5 - Sep 19th, 2013 at 10:25am

@
roxe

Quote:
so what are you talking about  the hdd id number???

Short answer:  http://pcsupport.about.com/od/termsd/g/disk-signature.htm

Longer answer (scroll down to the *Disk identity* section):  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_boot_record

Quote:
is there something else I need to do to the files and then reburn it to a CD??? if so, what??

Well, are you starting Ghost manually from the A:\ prompt after booting to DOS?  Do you simply type *ghost.exe* to start Ghost?  If *Yes* and *Yes*, then you just add a Ghost *switch* to that command line that you are typing to start Ghost.  So type:

Code:
ghost.exe /fdsp

or

ghost.exe -fdsp

There's a space after *ghost.exe*, and you can use either */* or *-* to indicate to the Ghost command line that what follows is a *switch*.

The *-fdsp*--I don't know for sure what the *f* stands for, but the *dsp* stands for *disk signature preserve*.  Probably do not have to use that switch when creating the image file, but definitely need it when doing a restore of an image file (if using Ghost 2003 with Win7 that requires use of the -fdsp switch, I would probably use it every time I start Ghost just to be sure)--Ghost 2003's default behavior is to erase the disk signature when restoring a *whole disk* image to a HDD (the disk signature is not erased if you are just restoring a partition to the disk).  The Ghost people added that as a safety measure so folks could not clone a system disk (disk to disk, or image to disk) on a system where both HDDs would still be connected upon next re-boot to Windows.  Because Windows now *remembers* drive letter assignments in the registry which persists from one boot to the next, if two HDDs are on the system that have *identical* disk signatures--basically all hell breaks loose, and it's any body's guess what drive letters are assigned to what HDD--actually probably depends on which drive is seen as the first physical HDD.  But the results are not pretty.  Most people can not recover unless they have a current image file so they can restore that to the main HDD, and start over.

Quote:
how I'd like to modify the current CD...
copy files to hdd... modify for "device" instead of "hdd id number"... burn with Nero back to new CD...

NightOwl wrote on Sep 18th, 2013 at 9:32am:
So, have you taken the *special* steps to prevent Win7 from doing its default installation that creates the special boot partition (the SRP) in addition to the OS partition.

And, if you wish to use Ghost 2003 without using special settings (switches), one needs to *generalize* the boot files so the boot process does not look for a specific HDD ID number, but instead just looks for the boot *device*.

Are we talking about an existing Win7 installation?  Does it have the special boot partition, the SRP (System Reserve Partition)?

The files that need to be modified are the Win7 boot files--not any of the Ghost 2003 files.  Once you *generalize* the Win7 boot files, then you would no longer have to worry about using the *-fdsp* switch.

If the SRP exists, then the whole system is dependent on the SRP for booting properly--so Ghost imaging requires that both the SRP and the OS partition be backed up in case of HDD failure.  And both have to be restored for successful booting.

In my previous post, there are references as to how to install Win7 so as to avoid having an SRP created.  Or, you can remove the SRP and modify the Win7 installation so all the boot files are placed in the Win7 OS partition.  This make creating and restoring Ghost 2003 image files easier--you no longer have to worry about backing up and restoring both the SRP and the OS partitions.  It's now like using Ghost 2003 on a WinXP system!

Quote:
if so, I need the "dummy" step by step to do this...

We can get into the details once we know what your starting point is. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #6 - Sep 19th, 2013 at 11:46am

NightOwl...

My W7Pro is already installed on ONE partition - on an extra hdd for my toshiba satellite laptop - and the drivers have been updated.
(done before starting this thread)

My CD starts the ghost program automatically... all I have to do is click yes/no on the first screen... and then I'm in...

So, where are the W7Pro boot files... and then... how do I "generalize" it / them???  (step by step, please)

BTW, thanks SO MUCH for giving me all the reading assignments... increases my knowledge base so I can use the proper words in proper sequences... and understand the words I read... and don't come across as a total dummy and/or stupid  Grin

joyb2u,
roxe

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #7 - Sep 19th, 2013 at 4:10pm

Quote:
The *-fdsp*--I don't know for sure what the *f* stands for, but the *dsp* stands for *disk signature preserve*.

force disk signature preserve

Most of the switches and their respective function are listed in Switches: Alphabetical list of switches

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #8 - Sep 20th, 2013 at 9:21am

@
Christer

Thanks for that new updated link!  I have old links to that list, but Symantec has pulled the plug on several of their old servers, and some of those old links are now *dead*!

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #9 - Sep 20th, 2013 at 9:36am

@
roxe

roxe wrote on Sep 19th, 2013 at 11:46am:
My W7Pro is already installed on ONE partition - on an extra hdd for my toshiba satellite laptop - and the drivers have been updated.
(done before starting this thread)

So, you have to swap out HDDs in order to boot to Win7 on your laptop?

Where do you save Ghost image files when doing a Ghost image creation?

So, I'm assuming your *extra hdd* was already partitioned before you installed Win7, and you chose to install it in that existing partition--is that accurate?

Just to confirm--have you gone to *Disk Management* for the Win7 system, and there is only one partition (drive) listed in Disk Management, and/or if you have booted to DOS and started Ghost, the Win7 HDD shows only one partition in the Ghost interface if you select to create an image using partition to image?

I'm trying to pin that information down *for sure*--because some of the instructions for *generalizing* the Win7 boot file depends on the answers.

I have several projects that I have to work on for the next couple days--so I may be slow to post the steps you need to do, but they are coming.......

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #10 - Sep 20th, 2013 at 1:39pm

Quote:
Thanks for that new updated link!  I have old links to that list, but Symantec has pulled the plug on several of their old servers, and some of those old links are now *dead*!

Yup, my old link too was muerto but I found the "new" one, which I doubt is "new" but as you indicate, the same target on a different server.

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #11 - Sep 20th, 2013 at 4:36pm

Quote:
So, you have to swap out HDDs in order to boot to Win7 on your laptop?

Yes, I have 4 -  2.5" hdds... one for the internet with xp pro; one for doing audio and video with xp pro; one for w7pro; last one for my ghost images from the first three.
Quote:
Where do you save Ghost image files when doing a Ghost image creation?

see answer #1... last line. I use a little sata usb adapter to hook it up to my laptop... have no problems with imaging to or from with it... so far Smiley
Quote:
So, I'm assuming your *extra hdd* was already partitioned before you installed Win7, and you chose to install it in that existing partition--is that accurate?

yes, I partitioned the entire drive into two partitions... one primary and one extended/logical... so the entire drive was partitioned and formatted before installing w7pro into the primary active partition.
Quote:
Just to confirm--have you gone to *Disk Management* for the Win7 system, and there is only one partition (drive) listed in Disk Management, and/or if you have booted to DOS and started Ghost, the Win7 HDD shows only one partition in the Ghost interface if you select to create an image using partition to image?

didn't need to... after installing w7pro, I just booted into the system... w7pro is on the primary drive, and the extended/logical is empty.
Quote:
I'm trying to pin that information down *for sure*--because some of the instructions for *generalizing* the Win7 boot file depends on the answers.

that's OK... better safe than sorry...

Quote:
I have several projects that I have to work on for the next couple days--so I may be slow to post the steps you need to do, but they are coming.......

It's been a week since installing... patience is a virtue... I'm pretty sure I can wait for your info Smiley

---------------------------------------------------
BTW....
Since burning the ghost floppy files onto CD, I have been able to image both to and from with many different configurations... partitions being larger than, smaller than, on a logical drive, on a 2.5 to 3.5 and 3.5 to 2.5, SSD to SATA and back, SATA to IDE and back. It doesn't seem to matter what I try, it takes it and works (except for w7pro)! All the target drives are in the machine and the sources are connected by USB cable.

Maybe I'm just lucky...

Right from the start I have always partitioned my drives before installing the OSs... except for W7... the first time I let it do it's own thing... didn't like what I saw - found out it could be installed into one partition and from then on, have put it into one.

I probably should put all my OSs onto one drive... but haven't found a boot program -  or manually -  that would boot them the way I want them booted... which is -- whichever OS I choose would be the ONLY OS showing when it's booted... none of the other OSs would show being on the rest of the drive. I would have one logical drive to put all the docs and stuff taken from the OS drives (like the bookmarks etc for Firefox) and when each OS is booted only that primary partition and the logical would show up.

And want to use images to put the 3 OSs on the drive...

I'd like to have two of XPpro and one of w7pro... and one logical for "stuff" from all 3 OSs...
that way, I could just hook up a hdd by USB for all the docs, video, audio, etc and wouldn't need to swap out drives.

Is there a way to *manually* do something like that?
(step by step)

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #12 - Sep 20th, 2013 at 4:46pm

@
roxe

roxe wrote on Sep 20th, 2013 at 4:36pm:
I probably should put all my OSs onto one drive... but haven't found a boot program that would boot them the way I want them booted... which is -- whichever OS I choose would be the ONLY OS showing when it's booted... none of the other OSs would show being on the rest of the drive. I would have one logical drive to put all the docs and stuff taken from the OS drives (like the bookmarks etc for Firefox) and when each OS is booted only that primary partition and the logical would show up.

BootIt Bare Metal.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootit-bare-metal.htm

That's how my SSD is setup. Ten OS, each in primary partitions and each OS only sees itself and the common data partition. Yes, you can have more than four primary partitions on a drive.

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #13 - Sep 20th, 2013 at 5:15pm

Brian,

Thanks for the link... I saw that yesterday but don't want to spend $$ to modify boot files if I don't have to...
I'd really like to learn the hands-on method...

thanks again Smiley

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #14 - Sep 20th, 2013 at 8:59pm

@
roxe

That's the beauty of BIBM. You don't need to modify your OS partitions. You could simply copy each OS, in turn, to the new larger drive. Each would be an independent OS. You wouldn't have to edit boot.ini for WinXP and you wouldn't have to modify the boot files in Win7.

The BIBM partition is a small 8 MB FAT type partition that can be anywhere on the drive.

I hate to say this but BIBM contains Image for DOS which leaves Ghost 2003 for dead.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print