Ghost for Win 7 (Read 149469 times)
Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Ghost for Win 7
Reply #45 - Sep 22nd, 2013 at 3:47pm

@
NightOwl

I didn't start as the switch is for Whole disk clones, not partition images.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #46 - Sep 22nd, 2013 at 4:23pm

@
NightOwl
I did this test instead with a non generalized Win7.

Imaged Win7 with Ghost 2003
Changed one number in the Disk Signature
Restored the image to the same partition
Win7 failed to boot. Windows Boot Manager error
Changed the Disk Signature back to the original
Win7 booted

Imaged Win7 with IFD
Win7 booted

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #47 - Sep 22nd, 2013 at 5:05pm

@
NightOwl

Well, just got thru imaging xppi plus checking the image. Haven't tackled w7 yet...

Quote:
well, the first prompt is actually a:\ghost.exe (I think)...

nope, it is just A:\GHOST>
now how do I use the switch?? do I delete the ">" and make it A:\GHOST.EXE -fdsp ??

Quote:
Of course, you have to shut down after creating the image of the source HDD.  Then switch out the source HDD, and put the spare HDD in place.  When you re-boot to Ghost, you then need to shut Ghost down and restart it with the -fdsp switch.

Waiting to hear what your results are!

ok... that is the next thing to do... and I'm not worried at all about the two xpp OSs... they are a piece of cake Smiley

oh, when I defraged xppi, it came up with 3 bad clusters... and used 7.7gb with 12.3 gb free on a 20gb partition...
now have to find some more NEW 120gb 2.5 hdd for this laptop...

off to "play" with w7...

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #48 - Sep 22nd, 2013 at 6:27pm

OK... Brian above here on pg 4 (edit by NightOwl:  i.e. Reply #45) states that the switch is only for full disk backups, not just a partition...

what happens when I have the entire disk full and want to backup ONLY the OS partition??

I've only imaged the w7 partition and am going to try using the switch to re-image it to the other hdd OS partition...

will let you know what happens...

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #49 - Sep 22nd, 2013 at 7:11pm

@
Brian

Brian wrote on Sep 22nd, 2013 at 3:35pm:
Would this be a reasonable test?

Image Win7 with Ghost 2003, zero the Disk Signature, restore the image to the same partition and see if Win7 boots.

Image Win7 with Ghost 2003 using -fdsp switch, zero the Disk Signature, restore the image to the same partition and see if Win7 boots.

As you note in the next Reply--the -fdsp switch only applies if you are doing a *whole disk* restore.  You can do that from a partition contained inside a single or multi-partition image file (i.e. partition to disk restore), but partition to partition--then Ghost 2003 should not zero the disk signature.

Brian wrote on Sep 22nd, 2013 at 4:23pm:
Win7 failed to boot. Windows Boot Manager error
Changed the Disk Signature back to the original
Win7 booted

That makes consistence sense.

Brian wrote on Sep 22nd, 2013 at 4:23pm:
Imaged Win7 with IFD
Win7 booted

That does not make consistence sense.  In an un-generalized Win7, the boot success depends on the disk signature remaining the same. 

So, unlike Ghost 2003, IFD (Image for DOS) must be programed to restore the same disk signature that was on the source HDD when taking the image.

I don't see that you checked the disk signature after your successful boot after the restore by IFD to see if it was restored to the original disk signature.

Can you still go back and check that--to explain the successful boot it must be true, however.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #50 - Sep 22nd, 2013 at 7:20pm

@
NightOwl

NightOwl wrote on Sep 22nd, 2013 at 7:11pm:
I don't see that you checked the disk signature after your successful boot after the restore by IFD to see if it was restored to the original disk signature.

I did check the Disk Signature and it was still the edited one. Not the original one.

So, unlike Ghost 2003, IFD (Image for DOS) must be programed to restore the same disk signature that was on the source HDD when taking the image.

No. The default is to leave the Disk Signature alone. But there ia an option to restore the Disk Signature that has been stored in the image. I didn't use that option.

That does not make consistence sense.In an un-generalized Win7, the boot success depends on the disk signature remaining the same.

IFD doesn't need to restore the same Disk Signature to enable a non generalized Win7 to boot on a new HD. I checked once and it does a very clever edit in MountedDevices to get around the new Disk Signature issue.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #51 - Sep 22nd, 2013 at 7:25pm

Continuing from Reply #46

I did this test with a generalized Win7.

Win7 booted (with the edited Disk Signature)

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #52 - Sep 22nd, 2013 at 7:42pm

@
roxe

roxe wrote on Sep 22nd, 2013 at 5:05pm:
nope, it is just A:\GHOST>
now how do I use the switch?? do I delete the ">" and make it A:\GHOST.EXE -fdsp ??

It would be:

Code:
A:\GHOST>ghost.exe -fdsp

roxe wrote on Sep 22nd, 2013 at 6:27pm:
OK... Brian above here on pg 4 (edit by NightOwl:  i.e. Reply #45) states that the switch is only for full disk backups, not just a partition...

what happens when I have the entire disk full and want to backup ONLY the OS partition??

So, to be honest, the -fdsp switch probably does not have any function when doing a *backup*--of either a partition or whole disk.  The switch has its effect when doing a *restore*--and the restore is to create a whole disk restore, and not a partition restore.

So, you can do a whole disk to whole disk restore (the destination disk can be the original source HDD or to a replacement HDD), and the -fdsp switch will restore the original source disk signature that was on the source HDD with the booting Win7 OS to that target HDD, and should allow for successful booting.

You can also restore a single partition in an image file and restore to a whole drive (again, the destination HDD can be the original HDD or a replacement HDD), and the -fdsp switch again will restore the original disk signature that was on the source HDD with the booting Win7 OS to that target HDD, and should allow for successful booting.

But, if you simply do a partition to partition restore (be it a direct copy from one HDD to another, or from an image file to a partition), then Ghost 2003 will not touch the disk signature on the target HDD even if you have used the -fdsp switch.

Basically, Ghost 2003 will not change the disk signature if partition(s) already exist on a HDD.  Ghost 2003 will zero or preserve the disk signature if the whole drive is being re-partitioned and formated by a whole disk restore, but not just a partition restore.

roxe wrote on Sep 22nd, 2013 at 6:27pm:
I've only imaged the w7 partition and am going to try using the switch to re-image it to the other hdd OS partition... 

So, based on what is said above, I would not expect this restore of just a Win7 OS partition to an already existing partition to boot (unless the target partition is the same as the original source partition)--the disk signature will not be changed--it will not be zeroed and it will not be updated to match the disk signature that was on the original source HDD.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #53 - Sep 22nd, 2013 at 8:00pm

@
Brian

Brian wrote on Sep 22nd, 2013 at 7:20pm:
IFD doesn't need to restore the same Disk Signature to enable a non generalized Win7 to boot on a new HD. I checked once and it does a very clever edit in MountedDevices to get around the new Disk Signature issue.

Oh....that's cheating!

Wow!  It's not editing the BCD?  It's accessing the OS Registry and making changes there!  But, how does that square with having the BCD boot file having an entry that depends on the disk signature.  How is a Registry hack getting around the function of the BCD?

Is the change in the MountedDevices using the *new* disk signature in place of the old signature?  But, that doesn't make sense--the BCD should still be looking for the that old signature and there's no way for the MountedDevices to know what the old disk signature was!

Is there any documentation as to what is being done---and how?

Brian wrote on Sep 22nd, 2013 at 7:25pm:
Continuing from Reply #46

I did this test with a generalized Win7.

Win7 booted (with the edited Disk Signature)

And, that would be consistent with expectation--once you *generalize* Win7's BCD, it no longer is concerned about a specific HDD, but instead it's looking for a boot *device*.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #54 - Sep 22nd, 2013 at 8:31pm

@
NightOwl

NightOwl wrote on Sep 22nd, 2013 at 8:00pm:
It's accessing the OS Registry and making changes there! 

My memory must be faulty. MountedDevices wasn't changed after an IFD restore. Standby.

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #55 - Sep 22nd, 2013 at 8:39pm

@
NightOwl
@
Brian

Ok here is what happened...

I partitioned and formatted the extra disk for 30gb OS, extended and logical rest of drive

swap it into laptop, put in ghost cd and hooked up image drive... got into ghost... quit... and promptly forgot that the prompt I was looking at was the directory that has ghost exe in it... got out my ms-dos book and figured it out after doing a "dir" at the A prompt... it wouldn't let me get back to the A Ghost prompt so rebooted and came back in and quit and then put the ghost.exe and switch and got back into ghost...

chose my image and then it wouldn't come up with the drives... so cancelled, chose my image again and this time I could choose the drive... so I chose the drive and partition... imaged the partition... popped open the dvd rom... and rebooted the computer...

No, it wouldn't boot into w7... remembered about using the install disk to repair... so did that and then  booted into w7 and the OS takes up the same amount of space that was in the original image!

So... the bcd files - or something -  on w7 definitely need tweaking...

so... what's next ?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #56 - Sep 22nd, 2013 at 8:53pm

@
NightOwl

Following on from Reply #54

You are correct. IFD is editing the BCD. After editing the Disk Signature and restoring a previous Ghost image the BIBM BCD Edit shows HD Unknown for all values.

After editing the Disk Signature and restoring a previous IFD image the BIBM BCD Edit shows correct values.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #57 - Sep 22nd, 2013 at 8:55pm

@
roxe

roxe wrote on Sep 22nd, 2013 at 8:39pm:
so... what's next ? 

Generalize Win7. Copy/paste the 4 lines. You will get confirmation after each line.

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #58 - Sep 22nd, 2013 at 8:59pm

Oh Brian, did you forget I need step by step???

I have the lines...
does that admin command prompt know where to put them???

I'm confused...

... how do I get an admin command prompt??

I've only played around with w7 when it was being built... don't know anything about it... but I want to learn...

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #59 - Sep 22nd, 2013 at 9:05pm

@
roxe

Copy/paste the first line and press Enter. That's it. Then the same for the next 3 lines. There should be a success message after you press each Enter.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Send Topic Print