Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 13
Send Topic Print
Using TeraByte's BIBM to MultiBoot 3, or more OS's (Read 213501 times)
NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Using TeraByte's BIBM to MultiBoot 3 OS's
Reply #15 - Sep 22nd, 2013 at 9:18am

The last 13 Posts were moved here from Norton Ghost 2003,  Ghost v8.x + Ghost Solution Suite (GSS) Discussion Board by NightOwl.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #16 - Sep 22nd, 2013 at 9:50am

@
NightOwl

I'm sorry... should have started a new thread...

and I'm not finished yet with my original question... I still want to know how-to generalize w7pro in order to use ghost 2003 without switches...

NightOwl, do you want me to start another thread for the original topic, or can you reactivate the original thread??

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #17 - Sep 22nd, 2013 at 10:36am

@
roxe

Quote:
I'm sorry... should have started a new thread...

Not to worry--I'm not *upset*!  I just thought about what I was going to post next in the other thread, and it occurred to me that if we continued both discussions at the same time, it was going to get awfully confusing to keep switching hats depending on which topic was being addressed.

I only *locked* the other topic until I had the split set up--didn't want to deal with more posts that might have occurred until I was done re-arranging the posts for the split.

So, the other thread is open again, and I am composing my next ongoing reply in the other thread.....

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #18 - Sep 22nd, 2013 at 11:26am

@
NightOwl

oh... thank you wise one Smiley

I feel all better....  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #19 - Sep 22nd, 2013 at 2:38pm

@
roxe

roxe wrote on Sep 22nd, 2013 at 9:50am:
I still want to know how-to generalize w7pro in order to use ghost 2003 without switches...

I'll post the answer in the other thread.

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #20 - Sep 23rd, 2013 at 10:24am

OK... now that w7 is under wraps with 2003 Ghost image capability... this is the next project to finish Smiley

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #21 - Sep 23rd, 2013 at 2:13pm

All OK here.

Please see Reply #14
What is the size of the new HD which will contain the 3 OS and data partition?

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #22 - Sep 23rd, 2013 at 7:53pm

@
Brian

I've been thinking alot about this... and for the laptop I'll just keep the 3 OSs on their own drives... cuz it will be so much faster to work with audio and video files that way instead of going thru the 2.0 USB to an external extended logical drive... putting videos especially thru USB will be so slow to work with...

My son works in a PC recycling place and he has brought me two Dell Optiplex USFFs...  I have a power cord coming for it... and will see if all the parts work, or if they don't I can swap out from the 2nd one... he can get me more of them if I need any parts above what the two I now have...

Isn't that neat??  I can also get faster CPUs, more memory and stuff from Amazon too...

So getting one of those running... I want to get a WD 500gb sata hdd... put it in there and put the 3 OSs on there... and it will give me plenty of room for all the files too... so I won't be fussing with USB...

I'll probably quit using the laptop... so tired of the mouse skipping all over the place and other problems...

I've got a garden project I need to get set up... so will be doing that mostly until it's finished... (shouldn't take more than 3 - 4 days at most) and work on the Optiplexes as I can... I'm quite excited about them...

as my son says, "you like small things!"... and they are small... and heavy... but it will be fun and interesting to get into their innards...

I've built between 2 and 3 dozen computers so far... researched the mobo's, CPUs, heat sinks, fans, memory, daughter boards, hdds, etc etc etc...
plus changed the CMOS battery in a 110CT Libretto... now you talk about a job... I've never seen anything like that... there wasn't even extra room for AIR in there Smiley someone gave me the sequence for getting to the CMOS and then I just reversed it to come back out... good thing I have small fingers...

I love working with hardware... software? not so much... I tolerate it... most of the time Smiley

------------------------------
I've already downloaded the free BIBM trial... even the pdf manual... so will be getting it put onto a CD... using your instructions and the manual...

It will probably be a program I will buy after trying... I'll need it for the 500 hdd...

In partitioning, is there a reason especially WHY the primary drives need to go first?? and why they can't be all mixed up with extendeds??

Guess I've rambled on enuf...

talkatchalatergator Smiley

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #23 - Sep 23rd, 2013 at 8:09pm

@
roxe

I like the idea of having your OSs on a desktop computer. Try and get two HDs into the computer if you can but the Optiplex may be too small to hold another drive. Backing up is much faster to an internal HD than to a USB external HD. Laptops are a compromise too.

Regarding partition order on a HD. It doesn't matter. You can have the extended partition first, middle or end. With modern HDs, having an OS in the last partition is as fast as having it in the first partition.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #24 - Sep 23rd, 2013 at 8:28pm

@
roxe

roxe wrote on Sep 23rd, 2013 at 7:53pm:
It will probably be a program I will buy after trying... I'll need it for the 500 hdd...

A suggestion. Buy the TeraByte Bundle rather than just BIBM. For an extra $10 it is money well spent. It includes IFW and IFL.

You get 3 licenses so you can give one to your son.

Edit.... Here are some videos on how to use BIBM...

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/index.htm

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #25 - Sep 23rd, 2013 at 8:45pm

@
Brian

Quote:
Regarding partition order on a HD. It doesn't matter. You can have the extended partition first, middle or end. With modern HDs, having an OS in the last partition is as fast as having it in the first partition.

Can you have a primary, extended, primary, extended, primary, extended... in that order???

It's been awhile since researching sata hdds... I already have a WD 500gb sata hdd (full of files)... are those hdds still good, or are there better ones??

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #26 - Sep 23rd, 2013 at 8:51pm

@
Brian

Quote:
I like the idea of having your OSs on a desktop computer.

Me too... cuz I can put it on the other side of the room from me or in the clothes closet... less emf that way... and that stuff does bother me now...

I had a tower couple years ago... I could work on it all day... the laptop is terrible... really bothers me alot...

took a peak into the Optiplex... *almost* as crowded as the Libby... won't know if another hdd can go in there until I get working on it.

On second thought...I do have a very thin 160gb sata hdd... that would be just perfect for the images...

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #27 - Sep 23rd, 2013 at 8:57pm

@
roxe

roxe wrote on Sep 23rd, 2013 at 8:45pm:
Can you have a primary, extended, primary, extended, primary, extended... in that order???

No, only one extended partition is possible. It counts as one of the four primary partitions. You can have multiple logical volumes in the extended partition.

roxe wrote on Sep 23rd, 2013 at 8:45pm:
are those hdds still good, or are there better ones?? 

They are fine. SSDs are faster but much more expensive.

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #28 - Sep 24th, 2013 at 12:22pm

@
Brian

Quote:
Try and get two HDs into the computer if you can but the Optiplex may be too small to hold another drive.

Looking inside, there is room for my thin 160gb sata drive... it's just a matter of the mobo having an extra data cable slot... and the power supply having another sata wire...

will be interesting to figure it all out when I start taking it apart and looking at everything...

can't wait... can't wait... can't wait  Grin

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #29 - Sep 30th, 2013 at 10:17am

@
roxe

roxe wrote on Sep 23rd, 2013 at 7:53pm:
In partitioning, is there a reason especially WHY the primary drives need to go first?? and why they can't be all mixed up with extendeds??

Back in the old days, the bootable data had to be within a certain limited portion of the HDD data--HDDs used to be really small!  And DOS based OS's and HDD controllers had to find that boot data within those boundaries in order to boot.  And the boot drive had to be on the first HDD controller and on the first channel of that controller.  Further back, there where two DOS files that had to be stored first on the HDD before any other data in order to boot successfully.

Over time, those limitations were expanded, and now, may not even exist any longer.

So, when you're ready to set up a multi-boot system to test out, I presume you will post back here to continue the conversation.  But there needs to be a minor *truth in advertising* check!

You have 3 OS's, and you want to have an extended partition to hold your data partition that all three OS's will have access to.  Using *conventional* HDD partitioning, you can do that with *conventional* partitioning tools (utilities).  Each OS will take one primary partition, and the extended partition will use the final 4th primary.  Then you need a way to switch from one active OS to another in order to boot to the different OS's.  You can do this with *conventional* Master Boot Record utilities (MBR utilities--some free and some paid) to accomplish this task.  Batch files can be created that will switch the active partition while you are in one OS, and the next re-boot will take you to the other OS that the batch file made active.

If you use BIBM, you will have to buy the product if you wish to continue with the set up that will be required by BIBM  because you will use one of the available 4 primaries for the BIBM program, then 2 of the other primaries for OS's, and the final primary to create the extended partition.  So, the 3rd OS will have to placed in the extended partition--and that is not *conventional*--so you will not be able to use any conventional partitioning utilities once you make the choice to use BIBM for what you wish to set up.  There's nothing wrong with that!  BIBM is a good program, and I recommend it--especially if you would like to have more than the limited 4 primary partitions to work with.

I am going to start another thread that discusses how to set up a HDD with 3 OS's and an extended data partition using *conventional* free software, and batch files--so the discussion will be in parallel with this discussion using BIBM.

I'll add a link here once I get started on that project.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 13
Send Topic Print