Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 
Send Topic Print
Using TeraByte's BIBM to MultiBoot 3, or more OS's (Read 215184 times)
Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Using TeraByte's BIBM to MultiBoot 3 OS's
Reply #150 - Oct 21st, 2013 at 1:17am

roxe wrote on Oct 21st, 2013 at 1:11am:
I want to *install* xp pro *from* a flash drive... not run the OS from one...

Extremely difficult. Forget it.

You haven't answered my question about WinXP. We'll get the second HD visible in WinXP.

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #151 - Oct 21st, 2013 at 1:31am

@
Brian

Brian wrote on Oct 21st, 2013 at 12:59am:
Can you see your second HD drive letter from WinXP? If not, can you see the partition without a drive letter in Disk Management? If so, give it a drive letter. 

you mean for w7p??? why do you want me to do that?? i can't see it from xppi... but i can in the disk mgmt... but why do you want me to do that??

oh BTW, just read about the fires on CNN... are they near you??

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #152 - Oct 21st, 2013 at 1:40am

You can't see the second HD from xppi. I'm trying to fix it. In xppi Disk Management, can you see the second HD partition?

The fires are 1000 km from me. But I used to live there when I was a child.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #153 - Oct 21st, 2013 at 1:56am

OK. I gather you can see it in Disk Management in xppi. Right click the second HD partition rectangle, click Change Drive Letter and Paths, Add, dot in Assign the following drive letter, choose a letter, OK.

Can you see it now in My Computer?

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #154 - Oct 21st, 2013 at 1:27pm

@
Brian

Brian,

I think I've said earlier in this thread, that XP won't even let me past the little blue worm when I try booting xp with the 2nd hdd in place...

and these caddys are NOT hot swapable...

so I have to have it in place before turning on the computer and trying to go into xp...

which does NOT allow me to pass the little blue worm...

understand??

Last night I found hundreds of websites for installing xp from a usb stick... and the majority use the same programs to get the stick ready for the install... and hundreds of replies are getting great results using this...

so I'm going to try this method... and try to talk to someone at Dell about which usb slot to use and how to set the BIOS...

wish me luck... gonna need it...

and if all else fails, at least I can boot/reboot into w7 in order to use the 2nd hdd caddy...

I really appreciate you trying to help me get this going...  but since I can't even get into xp with the device in place...

... I'm forced to go a different route...

and becuz I can use w7 with it... I can take my time in finding out the solution...

somewhere there is a solution... all I need do is find it...

Sure do love Kiss my new setup you helped me thru yesterday... i was so tired last night... but slept good.

So glad you aren't near the fires... now they are saying it is threatening Sydney...  Australia must be a harsh place in areas... drought, fires,, etc, etc...

I've read the book *Tracks* by Robyn Davidson (?) about taking 3 camels across from Alice Springs to the coast above Perth... incredible read... that is one book I can read over and over... and as she says at the end, "camel trips never end... they just take a different form"...

So...
I'm on a camel trip right now... just don't have any camels  Grin

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #155 - Oct 21st, 2013 at 2:44pm

@
roxe

I misunderstood what was happening. I thought you could get into WinXP but couldn't see the second HD.

Let's see if BIBM can help. Second HD installed. In BIBM click View MBR. What is the number in the bottom left corner? It will be something like 0x41AB2316.

Click Cancel on View MBR. Click the drop down arrow on Drives and select 1. This is your second HD. Click View MBR. What is the number in the bottom left corner?

This number is the Disk Signature.

Still in Drive 1. Click Cancel on View MBR. What is in the big white rectangle in MBR Partitions?

Do you have another HD to try in the caddy? Does it also stop WinXP from loading? The scrolling blue worm is WinXP scanning the drives.

Edit.... does the blue worm issue occur with the WinXP in the logical volumes?

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #156 - Oct 21st, 2013 at 11:27pm

@
Brian

Where in bibm do i clik view mbr?? the one under partition work??  or where???

late tonight... will try the last two suggestions tomorrow...

i've got behind in stuff while getting this opti up and going... gotta catch up... so not spending alot of time online....

talkatchatomorrowalligator....

-----------------------------------------------------
which reminds me... don't know if you know about the "see ya later aligator"  "after while crocodile" goodbye thingy...

after doing that, for the past 20 years or so I've been coming back with "pretty soon baboon"... and folks just look at me with a dumb expression on their faces and you can see the wheels turning in their heads but they can't come up with a reply...

the first one pits alligators and crocodiles... similar animals...

the second one has baboon... and chimpanzee is similar animal...

so it could be
"da da de chimpanzee"...

been trying for years now to fill in the "da da de" part of it... it needs to rhyme with chimpanzee...  and have three syllables...

*see ya later*, and *after while*... have similar concepts of bye bye...

*pretty soon* has the concept that it won't be so long apart... so the three or four syllables for chimpanzee should be the same short time apart concept...

help me...

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #157 - Oct 21st, 2013 at 11:32pm

@
roxe

Yes, Partition Work, top right.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Using TeraByte's BIBM to MultiBoot 3, or more OS's
Reply #158 - Oct 22nd, 2013 at 10:10am

@
Brian,
@
Dan Goodell
@
roxe, and all......

Boy, this thread has moved along quite quickly....

And, I thought partitioning was a relatively simple operation.....yikes!

Dan Goodell wrote on Oct 18th, 2013 at 4:33pm:
I don't see a reason to give BING/BIBM a dedicated 8MB partition when you can install it in a DOS partition instead.Doing double-duty just makes that partition more flexible and useful to me.My first partition is 100MB for DOS/BING/BIBM, and DOS is just another boot option on my BING menu.From there I can run the DOS versions of Ghost and Terabyte Image, so I don't need any portable media.

This makes a lot of sense--if you are going to have a partition for BING (Boot It Next Generation), and/or BIBM (Boot It Bare Metal), might as well make it a bootable partition, and place your DOS based imaging program(s) on it--don't need boot floppy disk(s) (or floppy drive!), boot CD (or CD drive!), bootable USB memory stick or bootable external USB HDD.

Dan Goodell wrote on Oct 18th, 2013 at 4:33pm:
(Aside: since I'm generally using virtualization to boot extra OS's, I haven't found a need to multiboot more than 4 OS's on the real hardware.)

This simplifies things greatly if you want/have a need for multiple task specific OSs that you want access to--not to be negative about the ability of BIBM to boot from unlimited partitions (primary and logicals), you do have to watch out for ever using a program that is not *unlimited partition aware*--you're stuck using BIBM and nothing else--so be warned--don't try using any other *standard* partitioning utility after setting up the unlimited option!

Dan Goodell wrote on Oct 20th, 2013 at 4:25pm:
FWIW, here's how my laptop is configured:

250GB SSD:
primary: 100MB for BING and DOS
primary: 60GB Win7
primary: 60GB Win8
extended logical: 20GB XP
extended logical: 80GB common Data partition

750GB HDD in media bay:
primary: spare in case I want to make a temporary copy of one of the SSD partitions
primary: common Data, including images of each SSD partition

Virtualized:
2K virtual machine for scanning/OCR
XP virtual machine for secure/important internet
XP virtual machine for insecure/risky internet
DOS virtual machine for testing
2K virtual machine for testing
XP virtual machine for testing
W7 virtual machine for testing
Ubuntu virtual machine for testing

Very interesting!

roxe wrote on Oct 21st, 2013 at 12:09am:
i guess we should rename this thread to *6 OSs*...

I have edited the thread name.

roxe wrote on Oct 20th, 2013 at 8:07pm:
xppi is one base image that now has the apps for the main drive that accesses the 'net...

i want four more base images in the extended logicals ... right at the front of the extended drive...
...which will have apps installed in them later ... then reimaged at that time...

and the base image is only 3.5gb big... so those drives will be (2) 15gb and (2) 10gb...

then four more logicals for data...

Be careful what you ask for!  I did some mixin' and matching of multiple OSs--tried to get fancy and placed program files on a separate partition (which was one recommendations in the early days of the Radified partitioning guide) from the OS (something that was easy back in the day of Win98se--could edit the default new program install partition--hard to do on WinXP--could not edit the default new program install partition), set up a sharing of the partition that held the page file between Win98se and WinXP.  It became harder and harder to remember all the tweaks that were applied to which OS, and the complex web that I had weaved.  Then my system crashed, and I needed to transfer the image to dissimilar hardware (i.e. different HDD controller)--became messy if I forgot the previous setups as I made the transfer, and tried to re-tweak everything ....... just saying.......  Wink  .

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #159 - Oct 22nd, 2013 at 2:23pm

FWIW, I prefer unlimited primaries and EMBR drives when multi-booting lots of OS. It's easier as you don't have to hide a multitude of partitions. By default there is just the OS in the partition table. You simply "add" partitions (using the Fill button) you want seen by that OS. When you install a new OS you don't have to edit the partition tables of the other OS.

If you have an extended partition and you would like to convert the logical volumes to primary partitions, here is a simple method I heard about recently. Convert the drive to GPT and then convert the drive back to MBR or EMBR.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #160 - Oct 22nd, 2013 at 3:37pm

This is my setup.

Code:
     Name           Size       Free    Typ   ID      File System
---------------- ---------- ---------- --- ------ ------------------
Win8.1              60000MB    36579MB Pri (01)   HPFS/NTFS
-------             20000MB            Pri (80)   Free Space
Win7E64             18000MB     6310MB Pri (7A)   HPFS/NTFS
-------              1000MB            Pri (81)   Free Space
XP_Dell             17000MB     4332MB Pri (09)   HPFS/NTFS
Ubuntu1310           7000MB     3520MB Pri (03)   Linux Native
Swap                 1000MB     1000MB Pri (04)   Linux Swap/Solaris
-------            103902MB            Pri (82)   Free Space
TBOS                   10MB        7MB Pri (02)   FAT-16
IFLbrian               70MB       27MB Pri (0A)   FAT-16
IFL                    80MB       23MB Pri (12)   FAT-16
TBWINRE               350MB       67MB Pri (0F)   FAT-16
BIG MENU               15MB        7MB Pri (0C)   FAT-16
ACTIVEBOOT_752        250MB       69MB Pri (0D)   FAT-32
ACTIVEBOOT_710        250MB       58MB Pri (08)   FAT-32
BOOTIT EMBRM            8MB        4MB Pri (D2)   BootIt EMBRM

OTHER                6000MB     2896MB Pri (03)   HPFS/NTFS
BIG PROGS           20000MB     6129MB Pri (05)   HPFS/NTFS
Win7 RTM            20003MB     4407MB Pri (AE)   HPFS/NTFS
Win8_32bit          20000MB     5288MB Pri (0D)   HPFS/NTFS
-------             10000MB            Pri (80)   Free Space
W8_test             30000MB    13920MB Pri (0F)   HPFS/NTFS
W8_game_HD          91977MB    12909MB Pri (09)   HPFS/NTFS
Win8.1_RTM_HD       20000MB     7375MB Pri (07)   HPFS/NTFS
Win8.1_RTM_32bit    20000MB     7977MB Pri (0E)   HPFS/NTFS
Win8_singleHD       40000MB    11287MB Pri (01)   HPFS/NTFS
-------              7000MB            Pri (81)   Free Space
8.1_EnterpriseHD    20000MB     6979MB Pri (02)   HPFS/NTFS
Win8.1_singleHD     40000MB    16028MB Pri (08)   HPFS/NTFS
-------            262748MB            Pri (82)   Free Space
DATA              1000000MB   453915MB Pri (8B)   HPFS/NTFS
-------            300000MB            Pri (83)   Free Space

WORKING             30000MB    29715MB Pri (01)   HPFS/NTFS
BACKUP            1877728MB   995114MB Pri (02)   HPFS/NTFS

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #161 - Oct 22nd, 2013 at 5:38pm

NightOwl wrote on Oct 22nd, 2013 at 10:10am:
[Virtualization] simplifies things greatly if you want/have a need for multiple task specific OSs that you want access to

Incredibly so!  I used to (a decade ago) multiboot a dozen partitions, including several of the same OS but configured for different working environments.  But I discovered virtualization in 2006 and couldn't live without it today--I just couldn't put up with rebooting into a different partition every time I needed to do some short task in another OS.

I do general websurfing in one VM with Java and Flash exposing me to their security risks, but use another more secure VM for online banking.

With virtualization I can run multiple OS's at the same time--running in one OS and simultaneously have one or more windows open running other OS's.  If I'm busy working in 7 and someone phones me with a XP question, I can pop over to the XP window so I can talk the caller through how to do something.  It's a whole lot easier than rebooting into XP to answer the call and then back into 7 later.

I'll occasionally get calls from people asking something like, "I want to download and try this program but I can't tell if it will do what I want."  I'll say, "Wait a sec..", then pop over to a VM running their OS, download and install the program in question, and discuss with the caller what it does.  After we hang up, I close the VM without saving changes and reopen it, and I'm right back to where I was, with no harm done in case the program had had any ulterior motives.  That's a whole lot quicker than imaging/testing/restoring to get back to where I was.

I just don't have a need to truly multiboot more than a few partitions anymore.

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #162 - Oct 22nd, 2013 at 11:38pm

@
Brian

Brian wrote on Oct 21st, 2013 at 2:44pm:
Let's see if BIBM can help. Second HD installed. In BIBM click View MBR. What is the number in the bottom left corner? It will be something like 0x41AB2316.

0xC5E69875

Quote:
Click Cancel on View MBR. Click the drop down arrow on Drives and select 1. This is your second HD. Click View MBR. What is the number in the bottom left corner?

SSD 119.24gb
mbr = 0xCCEA8CA1

Quote:
Still in Drive 1. Click Cancel on View MBR. What is in the big white rectangle in MBR Partitions?

----       partition       8mb                free space
MBR0    partition       122088 mb     extended
  stuff1   volume        122088mb     hpfs/ntfs
----       partition        8mb               free space

Drive 1   toshiba 2.5 sata drive (non ssd) 111.79gb
mbr = 0xD05E5423

in white space...
----        partition       114471mb     free space
     (deleted the partitions before putting in the caddy and left it that way)

Quote:
Do you have another HD to try in the caddy? Does it also stop WinXP from loading?

the second laptop drive above... yes got the everlasting blue worm.

Quote:
Edit.... does the blue worm issue occur with the WinXP in the logical volumes? 

yes

having the ssd drive in and going into w7... it installs hardware and then has that icon in the tray to safely remove hardware...

it has that icon in the tray for the dvd drive too... so I clicked on it and it said *eject dvd blah blah blah*... I clicked again and it kept saying the same thing... so i took the dvd drive out... and a warning came up not to take it out since it was being used (not)... but when the warning went away, that icon in the tray was gone too.

in device mgr, the dvd is under the heading dvd...

but the hdd caddy is under the heading of drives, and there is no dvd heading...

no, i didn't try removing the hdd caddy using the tray icon... but did notice that each time i put the hdd caddy in, w7 installs and then says install is finished and the tray icon is there...

when the dvd caddy is in, w7 doesn't install anything, but the tray icon is there...

definitely weird...

i think way back i did take the dvd caddy out while in xp... no tray icon for it there... and put the hdd caddy in... and nada...

seems to me that the caddys need to be changed with the computer off... so the bios gets set up right...
don't know for sure tho...

getting caught up with all the stuff i let slide this past week... shore is nice NOT USING THAT LAPTOP!!!!!!!!

ok... now that i've done my yell for the day... gonna get off this machine... and do some reading.

seeyalateralligator... did you all notice my plea above for help???? Grin Cool
(post 156 below the line)

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #163 - Oct 22nd, 2013 at 11:49pm

@
NightOwl

NightOwl wrote on Oct 22nd, 2013 at 10:10am:
Be careful what you ask for! <snip>..... just saying......

i mostly use xppi (internet)... i'll play in w7...

but the other four xp's i'll use maybe once a month or less... one for video, one for audio, one for nlite, one for pictures...

so as long as i keep current with images of them... i'm fine  Cool

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #164 - Oct 23rd, 2013 at 1:32am

@
roxe

I saw crocodiles last week but I can't help with your alligator.

Thanks for doing those tests. Excellent work. It looks like WinXP needs drivers to be able to see the drive in the caddy. Check with Dell. I doubt a reinstall of WinXP with the caddy present would help but anything is possible. Otherwise Win7 might have to become your primary OS.

Regarding the poor performance of the SSD. Which OS was installed? WinXP or Win7? Was the partition 2048 sector aligned? Non aligned partitions can lead to poor performance. WinXP on a SSD doesn't have TRIM and may suffer performance issues after prolonged use.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 
Send Topic Print