Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13
Send Topic Print
Using TeraByte's BIBM to MultiBoot 3, or more OS's (Read 213518 times)
roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Re: Using TeraByte's BIBM to MultiBoot 3 OS's
Reply #30 - Oct 1st, 2013 at 1:15pm

@
Brian

Brian wrote on Sep 23rd, 2013 at 8:09pm:
Try and get two HDs into the computer if you can but the Optiplex may be too small to hold another drive.

There is room for a thin 160gb drive... but the mobo has only ONE sata port... and only ONE power end...

B U M M E R....

I have the sata adapter thingies... separate power cord and separate data cord for hooking up an external sata drive for images... but...

... is there an adapter that has the data and power connect all in one unit - and the unit has the data cord and power cord coming out of it???

If so, can you find me one on ebay and give me the url??

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #31 - Oct 1st, 2013 at 5:02pm

@
NightOwl

Thank you for that nice lesson on partitions Smiley

NightOwl wrote on Sep 30th, 2013 at 10:17am:
I am going to start another thread that discusses how to set up a HDD with 3 OS's and an extended data partition using *conventional* free software, and batch files--so the discussion will be in parallel with this discussion using BIBM.

Sounds like fun! There's always something else to learn about computers, components, software, electricity, plumbing, mechanics, what sprayed color stripes on the ground or street mean...

but....

MY favorite is Mahjong!!!!!  Grin Wink Cool

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #32 - Oct 2nd, 2013 at 2:50am

@
roxe

roxe wrote on Oct 1st, 2013 at 1:15pm:
but the mobo has only ONE sata port

I've no experience with SATA port PCI cards.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #33 - Oct 2nd, 2013 at 4:17am

@
roxe

I have the sata adapter thingies... separate power cord and separate data cord for hooking up an external sata drive for images...

I presume you mean a USB adapter that you can hook a SATA HDD up to?

but the mobo has only ONE sata port... and only ONE power end...

That's a bummer!  You can probably get a power splitter to convert a single SATA power connector into two, but if no second SATA port, then does the motherboard have a PCI connector slot to add a SATA controller card?

Maybe an eSATA PCI adapter that adds an *external SATA* port on the outside via the PCI card could be helpful.  I have used the external SATA power source for an external USB adapter to hook up an external SATA HDD through the eSATA port.  That external SATA port (eSATA) makes the HDD act like an internal SATA HDD, but it's connected externally--the SATA HDD is not installed internally.

roxe wrote on Oct 1st, 2013 at 5:02pm:
but....

MY favorite is Mahjong!!!!!

Well, okay--so setting up multibooting may be like *pulling teeth*--I'll let you decide!

NightOwl wrote on Oct 2nd, 2013 at 4:22am:
The next 12 Posts were moved here from Norton Ghost 2003,Ghost v8.x + Ghost Solution Suite (GSS) Discussion Board by NightOwl from this thread:  http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1379473957/104#104. ;

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Re: Ghost for Win 7
Reply #34 - Sep 30th, 2013 at 9:42pm

@
Brian

Brian wrote on Sep 30th, 2013 at 9:16pm:
That can be done easily but learning how to do it is not so easy. TeraByte Unlimited has a script for it. I have the WinXP and Win7 from my old Dell computer running on this computer which has an Asus motherboard. I've restored images from OS on laptops to desktop computers and vice versa.

So there isn't a way in add/remove programs - or something else - that will bring up the drivers to be deleted so new ones can be added??

Is TBU in that TB bundle you suggested I get for $10 more with BIBM?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #35 - Sep 30th, 2013 at 10:01pm

@
roxe

roxe wrote on Sep 30th, 2013 at 9:42pm:
that will bring up the drivers to be deleted so new ones can be added??

The TeraByte script does this. It strips out all drivers. When the new OS boots it will spend a little time auto installing Hardware drivers but you might have to (later at your leisure) install specific drivers for your system.

All scripts are included with the TeraByte software. The latter third of this old video is an example of OSDTool script in use.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/videos/ifl/osdtool-sample.wmv

There is a more recent script that makes this easier. TBIDTOOL. Page 49 in the Pro Userguide.

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #36 - Sep 30th, 2013 at 10:05pm

@
Brian

Brian wrote on Sep 30th, 2013 at 9:16pm:
That can be done easily but learning how to do it is not so easy.

Can we tackle that in the BIBM thread??

-----------------------------
JUST saw your reply above... that sounds like it would be much shorter to do instead of a fresh install and putting all ones tips and tweaks back just the way one wants...

Imaging from this laptop to a real hdd... wowowow

I think just for that I'm gonna go buy that bundle right now Wink...  anything to save time and frustration...

So... tell me again exactly what I need to buy...

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #37 - Sep 30th, 2013 at 10:20pm

@
roxe

It's not that easy to explain. I don't have notes and I suggest you view the video, read the userguide and do it on a test computer as you will make mistakes with your first efforts.

roxe wrote on Sep 30th, 2013 at 10:05pm:
that sounds like it would be much shorter to do instead of a fresh install and putting all ones tips and tweaks back just the way one wants

So true. Windows on the new computer still needs to be Activated. Most of my efforts were tests so I deleted the new OS rather than Activating it.

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #38 - Sep 30th, 2013 at 10:23pm

@
Brian

Poor NightOwl... he's gonna say "they're doing it again!!"

So buying the TB bundle will give me all this info??

What are the other two programs in the bundle?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #39 - Sep 30th, 2013 at 10:28pm

@
roxe

The Bundle gives you...

BIBM
TBOSDT
IFW
IFL
IFD

I use the lot.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/products.htm

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #40 - Sep 30th, 2013 at 10:28pm

@
Brian

Brian wrote on Sep 30th, 2013 at 10:20pm:
But Windows on the new computer still needs to be Activated. Most of my efforts were tests so I deleted the new OS rather than Activating it.

Want to expand on this?? You mean that if I do this, I can't activate the OS after putting the new drivers in it??

Explain...

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #41 - Sep 30th, 2013 at 10:32pm

@
roxe

If you install a Windows OS on a new computer the OS needs to be Activated. You need to buy a license key from Microsoft. Transferring an OS from one computer to another is a similar situation. You need a new license key from Microsoft. Nothing strange about that.

If you already have a key for that computer you can use that key.

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #42 - Sep 30th, 2013 at 10:39pm

@
Brian

Since you have more than ONE xp pro in use at the same time, I can see having a license for each one of them...

but since the OS is in an image that has activation already on it... and new drivers have been installed in it... as long as it is on only ONE computer at a time... why would a new license be needed???

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #43 - Sep 30th, 2013 at 10:41pm

roxe wrote on Sep 30th, 2013 at 10:39pm:
hmmm... since the OS is in an image that has activation already on it... and new drivers have been installed in it... as long as it is on only ONE computer at a time... why would a new license be needed???

You will need to discuss that with Microsoft. It depends on your license. OEM or Retail.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #44 - Sep 30th, 2013 at 10:42pm

NightOwl, can you kindly move the recent posts to the BIBM thread?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13
Send Topic Print