Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Windows 7 and Windows Update (Read 73018 times)
NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Windows 7 and Windows Update
Reply #30 - Nov 3rd, 2015 at 4:07pm

@
Christer

Christer wrote on Oct 28th, 2015 at 4:43pm:
I, again, restored the image and this time, I also applied the regedit. The result was approximately the same and I was disappointed until I restarted and found that ... Shocked ... the WU-icon was there. I can't find a single word in that KB-article about a missing icon that gets restored, can you?

Well, probably nothing mentioned in the KB article, but I mentioned that effect previously in this post of this thread:

NightOwl wrote on Oct 24th, 2015 at 12:57am:
Apparently, either making a registry change to disable the *Get Windows 10* (GWX) from updating thru Windows Update, or using the *GWX Control Panel* to *Disable Operating System Upgrades in Windows Update*( http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/08/using-gwx-stopper-to-permanently-remove.... ) allows for the *New Updates Available* icon returning if it has been missing.There are multiple reports that this is solving that problem in various comments at http://www.askwoody.com/

You have used the *registry change* to get the icon to come back.  Sure looks like if a system has the setting that allows Windows Update to upgrade the OS to the latest version, it is somehow preventing Windows Update from getting other updates (? must be looking for the OS upgrade exclusively?), and the icon never shows up because no updates are being obtained by Windows Update.  Changing that setting for the OS upgrade to disable that option releases Windows Update *from prison* so it can once again look for and find other updates!

I have not seen you comment on this information since Dan posted it:

Dan Goodell wrote on Oct 20th, 2015 at 10:00pm:
For the benefit of lurkers, let's clarify that GWX and GWX Control Panel are two different things. GWX is Microsoft's "Get Windows 10" update, which MS tries to sneak in with other Windows updates into your 7 or 8.1 system. GWX Control Panel is a no-install, third-party utility to check and prevent MS from sneaking GWX into your system. GWX Control Panel is a vital tool to make sure your system is not being upgraded to Win 10 behind your back.

GWX Control Panel is now up to version 1.5.0.0.  You do not install anything--you just run the program from where ever you have downloaded it to.  Nothing happens or changes unless you explicitly tell the program to do it.

Read the details here so you know what to expect from the program:  http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/08/using-gwx-stopper-to-permanently-remove...

Download it from here:  http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

I would really recommend you download it, run it, and find out what, if anything, is present on your system that it finds, but you may not know about.  It could be part of your issue being as the GWX (Get Windows 10) is intimately associated with the Windows Update and the TrustedInstaller program.

I'd like to hear what you find!

I'm wondering if because you may have installed certain updates, but maybe not others--that's causing Windows Update to be thrashing around!?

(Now a teaser--I stumble upon another issue that may cause Windows Update and the TrustedInstaller to cause excessive CPU usage, and excessive read/writes to the hard drive--I'll save that for after hearing from you regarding this post--just to not have too many things going at once.)

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #31 - Nov 3rd, 2015 at 4:50pm

NightOwl wrote on Nov 3rd, 2015 at 3:23pm:
with the current Windows Update status in total disarray, and everyone cherry picking which update(s) to install--and, seems like everyone is using a different set of criteria to decide which update to install--how can we have any idea what the current status of our own system is (are there unknown or unintended consequences if we have not applied a certain update--or series of updates) vs how that relates to someone else's system who may have applied or not applied other updates?

I don't think you can ever know for sure. Even if you supposedly have the same updates as someone else, the systems may not be the same. For instance, if you installed updates A, B and C, and then D came along that superceded the first three, you may still have detritus from A, B and C leftover on your system. If I refrain from the first three and only install D, our two systems may appear identical (from a Windows Update perspective), but if your system has random BSODs that I don't get, how can we be sure that the detritus isn't the culprit?

That's part of why I settled on my annual "clean-install" procedure.

Beyond that, two systems that are not equally updated obviously face different risks. If you delay installing updates or cherry-pick which updates to install, you could be vulnerable to malware exploiting a particular security hole. OTOH, if you install every update the moment it comes out, you risk corruption of your system by faulty updates or are at the mercy of bad behavior by Microsoft, such as this GWX debacle or the inadvertant deauthorization of legitimate installations.

Neither approach is perfect, so pick the lesser of two evils. I've come to the conclusion Microsoft is the greater risk.

I used to delay installing updates by using the "Let me choose..." setting, then when selecting which updates to install I would unselect any update less than a month old. Microsoft has gotten so sloppy with vetting their updates in recent years that I figured it was better to let everyone else be the guinea pigs and I'd wait a month before installing any particular update. My theory was that if the update hadn't been pulled within a month, it was probably okay. And while I may theoretically be more vulnerable to malware during that intervening month, the risk seemed small.

As it's turned out, the risk has been nonexistant, so I began pushing that one month to three months, then six months. That dovetailed nicely into WSUS Offline, so I turned automatic updates off entirely. That strategy may not work for less cautious users, but it works very well for me.

(I might also mention that over the years I've seen many virus-laden systems from customers, but have noticed practically no correlation with whether or not their systems were up to date.)

In the past I've also gone through a period when I tried to micromanage updates by researching each one to see if it affected me, but that's really time-consuming and hard to do. Descriptions published by Microsoft aren't always clear enough to understand what they actually do and sometimes hide ulterior Microsoft motives. It was too much work trying to "opt-in" each update, so I now leave it to WSO's "opt-out" strategy (using an Exclude list). I'll accept every update WSO wants to install except for those I know I don't want because of flags raised in online chatter.

I also accept only "Important" (nee, "Critical") updates, and never "Optional" updates. That's also WSO's strategy, so it works well for me.

Optional updates have been a "never install" for many years. Optional updates include hardware updates, and in all my years working on other people's systems I've seen far too many disasters caused by Microsoft overriding the OEM's drivers. I have never, ever found an Optional update I actually needed.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #32 - Nov 4th, 2015 at 5:07am

@
NightOwl

NightOwl wrote on Nov 3rd, 2015 at 4:07pm:
Well, probably nothing mentioned in the KB article, but I mentioned that effect previously in this post of this thread:

Yes, you did but I have nothing installed pertaining to GWX so why would the WU-Icon be gone on my system? I only tested different versions of the update to the "Windows Update Client".

You have used the *registry change* to get the icon to come back.Sure looks like if a system has the setting that allows Windows Update to upgrade the OS to the latest version, it is somehow preventing Windows Update from getting other updates (? must be looking for the OS upgrade exclusively?), and the icon never shows up because no updates are being obtained by Windows Update. Changing that setting for the OS upgrade to disable that option releases Windows Update *from prison* so it can once again look for and find other updates!

As I mentioned, I have no such setting, unless it comes with the updates to the "Windows Update Client". If you initiate Windows Update via Start > All programs or via the Control Panel, new updates are there (I know because there are updates that I don't install but have not hidden). WU finds the updates but the notification in the Notification Area doesn't work.

I would really recommend you download it, run it, and find out what, if anything, is present on your system that it finds, but you may not know about.  It could be part of your issue being as the GWX (Get Windows 10) is intimately associated with the Windows Update and the TrustedInstaller program.

I'd like to hear what you find!

I'm wondering if because you may have installed certain updates, but maybe not others--that's causing Windows Update to be thrashing around!?

I'll do that and come back with the results. Initially, since not having anything pertaining to GWX installed, I thought that there was no point running it. We'll see ... Undecided ... !

(Now a teaser--I stumble upon another issue that may cause Windows Update and the TrustedInstaller to cause excessive CPU usage, and excessive read/writes to the hard drive--I'll save that for after hearing from you regarding this post--just to not have too many things going at once.)

I too have a teaser - KB3102810 that was released yesterday among the optional updates. I have installed it but also made other changes that render the result inconclusive. I'll be back!

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #33 - Nov 4th, 2015 at 5:21am

@
Dan Goodell

Dan Goodell wrote on Nov 3rd, 2015 at 4:50pm:
I have never, ever found an Optional update I actually needed.

I have installed a few prerequisite updates to be able to install IE11, among them the Platform update for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1. Have you denied this and the other prerequisite updates too?

Do you run a different browser and not Internet Explorer at all?

In my response to NightOwl, I mentioned KB3102810 and changes that I have made. Those changes pertain to some prerequisite updates for IE11 but as I wrote, I'll be back.

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #34 - Nov 4th, 2015 at 5:45am

@
NightOwl

Christer wrote on Nov 4th, 2015 at 5:07am:
I'll do that and come back with the results. Initially, since not having anything pertaining to GWX installed, I thought that there was no point running it. We'll see ... Undecided ... !

I ran it and it found nothing. WU OS upgrades were not enabled, set by the regedit "Windows7-DisableOSUpgrade-ON" (1). After running the regedit "Windows7-DisableOSUpgrade-OFF" (0), WU OS upgrades were enabled. It seems like GWX Control Panel works and my system appears to be clean.

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #35 - Nov 4th, 2015 at 1:33pm

Christer wrote on Nov 4th, 2015 at 5:21am:
In my response to NightOwl, I mentioned KB3102810 and changes that I have made. Those changes pertain to some prerequisite updates for IE11 but as I wrote, I'll be back.

I have not yet repeated any changes but started by restoring an Image from October. It has all prerequisites and IE11 installed. I found out what the installer expects by letting it do the installation on-line and download what is needed. I found these new entries in the update history:

KB2670838
KB2729094
KB2834140
KB2882822

With reference to Prerequisite updates for Internet Explorer 11, a few listed in it are obviously not necessary. Trying to install them, just to test, I got the message "can not be installed on this system" or whatever it says in English (my computer speaks Swedish) for KB2731771 and KB2533623 but KB2786081 had already been installed.

When these prerequisite updates had been installed by the IE11 installer, I let Windows Update loose. It prompted for the installation of these updates:

KB2912390 (new)
KB3035126 (reinstallation)
KB3035132 (reinstallation)
KB3078601 (reinstallation)

I suspect that reinstallation of these 3 updates was caused by installing the "platform update".

(This on-line installation of IE11 was just a test to find the prerequisite updates. It was undone by restoring an Image and all subsequent installations have been off-line.)

Now, after restoring the Image from October, I installed KB3083710 with a reboot and finally MSE prior to connecting to the internet.

MSE got updated and ran its first Quick-scan (~11 minutes) and Windows Update did its thing. It completed in ~28 minutes hovering around 25% CPU-usage and 45% RAM-usage (total) which dropped to 0% and 35% respectively when activities ceased. There was no WU-icon in the Notification Area.

Next, I added the regedit "Windows7-DisableOSUpgrade-ON" and restarted the computer.

This second run of Windows Update took ~10 minutes with the same CPU-/RAM-usage. When it had completed, the WU-icon showed up in the NA.

Finally, I added KB3102810, yesterday's addition to the mess, restarted and let it all loose again.

The WU-icon appeared after 2 minutes and Windows Update never ran, I think - there was no TrustedInstaller appearing in TaskManager but there was CPU- and RAM-usage for ~10 minutes.

I checked the version of the Windows Update Client. It had been updated from 7.6.7601.19016 (KB3083710) to 7.6.7601.19046 (KB3102810). The latter is not said to replace the former as has been the case with the other consecutive updates to the Windows Update Client. The latter is not labeled as important but optional. Maybe I've asked this before ... Lips Sealed ... what the heck are the guys in Redmond smoking?

As soon as I can find the time, I'll take the IE11 installation to "square one". The reason is that KB2882822 is labeled as optional and has a "foul scent" of "you know what" which I'd like to avoid. More later ... Huh ... how much later, I can't say.

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #36 - Nov 4th, 2015 at 2:54pm

Christer wrote on Nov 4th, 2015 at 5:21am:
I have installed a few prerequisite updates to be able to install IE11, among them the Platform update for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1. Have you denied this and the other prerequisite updates too?

Do you run a different browser and not Internet Explorer at all?

I'm not sure what you mean by "denied". If you mean do I add KBs of optional (aka, "Recommended") updates to WSO's Exclude list, the answer is no. I only add to the Exclude list KBs that are on my radar. I don't think optional KBs would come to my attention.

If you mean do I deny them because they are optional ... well, yeah. When using Windows Update I have always unticked the option, "Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates". Thus, Windows Update did not notify me of optional updates, and I never installed any of them. Now that I use WSO in lieu of Windows Update, I still don't get optional updates because WSO only downloads Important updates.

Also, I'm not clear how a prerequisite could be optional. If it's optional if you do not upgrade IE, then no, my technique will not install it. If it's required if you do upgrade IE, then it isn't optional, right? In that case, it would have to be bundled as part of the IE upgrade installer, just in case the system being upgraded didn't have the prerequisites already installed. If I upgrade IE then I would indeed get the otherwise "optional" update, as well--but not because I explicitly accepted an optional update.

WSO gives you the option of whether or not to upgrade your IE version. Of course WSO will update to your installed version of IE if they are classified as Important updates, but it will not upgrade from one version to another without your permission.

I do not use IE because of its security issues, but of course it's on my system whether I use it or not.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #37 - Nov 4th, 2015 at 5:25pm

@
Dan Goodell

Okey, we are "rowing different boats", I use Windows Update while you use WSO and that's contributing to the confusion.

Dan Goodell wrote on Nov 4th, 2015 at 2:54pm:
I'm not sure what you mean by "denied".

I thought that you had been made aware of the "platform update" but chosen to not install it.

When using Windows Update I have always unticked the option, "Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates". Thus, Windows Update did not notify me of optional updates, and I never installed any of them.

That's my decision too whith the exception that "I never" is not entirely true.

The fact that the "platform update", being rather significant, is optional and not important is surprising to me. You, like I, never even look at the optional updates but installing IE11 made me aware of this update and other optional updates that were made important or maybe ... Grin ... "optional but mandatory" by installing IE11.

In that case, it would have to be bundled as part of the IE upgrade installer, just in case the system being upgraded didn't have the prerequisites already installed.

That's exactly what happens. The prerequisite updates aren't bundled within the setup file but during setup, the installer analyses the system and downloads what is missing. That's how I found out what is needed but it seems like some of the updates the installer deem to be necessary, really aren't. If you choose to install IE11 off-line, you have to download and install the prerequisite updates manually. I will get back to this subject and what pussles me is that the installer downloads and installs KB2882822 even though that update has been replaced by KB3080149 (which is in your ExcludeList).

I quote from KB3080149:

Quote:
Update replacement information

This update doesn't replace a previously released update.

Well, according to Microsoft Update Catalog it does replace seven updates!

More on "what is really prerequisites for IE11" later.

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #38 - Nov 6th, 2015 at 8:49am

Christer wrote on Nov 4th, 2015 at 1:33pm:
As soon as I can find the time, I'll take the IE11 installation to "square one". The reason is that KB2882822 is labeled as optional and has a "foul scent" of "you know what" which I'd like to avoid. More later ... Huh ... how much later, I can't say.

With reference to reply #35, I have done a few tests to find out which updates really are prerequisites. If running off-line, the IE11 installer will not proceed if any of KB2670838, KB2729094 or KB2834140 have not been installed.

The installation of IE11 continues without KB2882822 on the system but upon completion, a popup tells that a "word list" or "language pack" (I can't remember which) is missing and WU must be run. When closing the installer window, WU gets launched but since the computer is off-line, nothing happens. Later, when running WU, there's no "word list" or "language pack" on offer.

A result of installing KB2670838, the "platform update", is that after running WU, KB2912390 (new) appears and KB3035126, KB3035132, KB3078601 have to be reinstalled.

In addition, the most recent cumulative update to IE has to be installed in the correct version (IE11) and also any of those updates to the Windows Update Client.

I will restore some images I created and check C:\Windows\IE11_main.log in each of them to, if possible find something out.

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #39 - Nov 7th, 2015 at 2:55am

FWIW, I restored a fresh, unupdated Win7 SP1 install, and unleashed WSO on it. I did not tell WSO to update IE8. The updates mentioned in Reply #38 were not installed. (FTR, those KBs are actually in WSO's cache, but they were not installed.)

Repeating the test and ticking the WSO option to install IE11 resulted in WSO installing 7 additional updates: 2639308, 2670838, 2729094, 2786081, 2834140, 2882822, 2888049. These seem to be the prerequisites Christer was mentioning. WSO identified that they were no longer optional and added them.

(Christer may have had fewer updates because I went straight from IE8 to IE11.)

Bottom line is that if those updates are optional without IE11, WSO will not install them. If they're required for IE11, then of course they aren't optional and WSO will install them.

BTW, none of the updates in my WSO Exclude list were installed, even though they had been downloaded and do exist in the WSO cache.

That's just the way I've always understood WSO to work. It installs "Important" updates but I can opt out of specific updates. No "Recommended" updates are installed, and just like WU it's able to determine which are important by analyzing your specific Windows installation.

That's exactly what I want from an offline installer.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #40 - Nov 7th, 2015 at 1:48pm

Dan Goodell wrote on Nov 7th, 2015 at 2:55am:
Repeating the test and ticking the WSO option to install IE11 resulted in WSO installing 7 additional updates: 2639308, 2670838, 2729094, 2786081, 2834140, 2882822, 2888049. These seem to be the prerequisites Christer was mentioning. WSO identified that they were no longer optional and added them.

Those updates are the same that are found in Prerequisite updates for Internet Explorer 11 with the exception of KB2533623 and KB2731771 which "can not be applied" (or words to that meaning in a message during an attempt to install manually) on my system and seemingly neither on your system. 6 are "labeled" as prerequisites (of which 2 can not be applied) and 3 are "labeled" as optional.

I have checked the logfiles created during installation attempts of IE11. I quote from the logfile with no prerequisites installed at all:

Quote:
00:20.234: INFO:    Version Check for (KB2834140) of C:\Windows\System32\d3d11.dll: 6.1.7601.17514 >= 6.2.9200.16570 (False)
00:20.249: WARNING: Checking version for C:\Windows\System32\api-ms-win-downlevel-user32-l1-1-0.dll.  The file does not exist.
00:20.265: INFO:    Version Check for (KB2639308) of C:\Windows\System32\Ntoskrnl.exe: 6.1.7601.19018 >= 6.1.7601.17727 (True)
00:20.312: INFO:    Version Check for (KB2533623) of C:\Windows\System32\api-ms-win-security-base-l1-1-0.dll: 6.1.7601.19018 >= 6.1.7601.17617 (True)
00:20.358: INFO:    Version Check for (KB2731771) of C:\Windows\System32\conhost.exe: 6.1.7601.19018 >= 6.1.7601.17888 (True)
00:20.390: INFO:    Checking for correct version of C:\Windows\Fonts\segoeui.ttf.
00:20.405: INFO:    Version Check for (KB2786081) of C:\Windows\System32\taskhost.exe: 6.1.7601.18010 >= 6.1.7601.18010 (True)
00:20.530: INFO:    Version Check for (KB2888049) of C:\Windows\System32\drivers\tcpip.sys: 6.1.7601.18438 >= 6.1.7601.18254 (True)
00:20.577: INFO:    Version Check for (KB2882822) of C:\Windows\System32\tdh.dll: 6.1.7600.16385 >= 6.1.7601.18247 (False)
00:51.434: INFO:    Download for KB2834140 initiated. Downloading http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=303935 -> KB2834140_amd64.MSU.
00:51.481: INFO:    Download for KB2670838 initiated. Downloading http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=272391 -> KB2670838_amd64.CAB.
00:51.512: INFO:    Download for KB2729094 initiated. Downloading http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=258385 -> KB2729094_amd64.MSU.
00:51.543: INFO:    Download for KB2882822 initiated. Downloading http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=324541 -> KB2882822_amd64.MSU.
00:51.574: INFO:    Waiting for 4 prerequisite downloads.
01:06.660: INFO:    Prerequisite download processes have completed. Starting Installation of 4 prerequisites.
01:06.691: ERROR:   Error downloading prerequisite file (KB2834140): 0x800c0005 (2148270085)
01:06.753: INFO:    PauseOrResumeAUThread: Successfully resumed Automatic Updates.
01:20.793: INFO:    Setup exit code: 0x00009C47 (40007) - Required updates failed to download.

00:20.234 - not installed, not replaced > "false"

00:20.249 - has to be about the platform update, KB2670838 - not installed > file does not exist

Next, there are three checks which come out as "true". All those updates have each been replaced by several updates, of which at least one is installed on my system

00:20.390 - has to be about KB2729094 which seemingly comes out as "false" since I have to install it for IE11 to install

00:20.405 - comes out as "true" and is installed on my system

00:20.530 - comes out as "true" but is neither installed on my system nor has it been replaced by another update. Some other update must have installed the checked file in the correct version.

00:20.577 - comes out as "false", is not installed. It has been replaced by another update but neither that one is installed.

01:06.691 - the installation fails on KB2834140, probably the first update attempted.

So, Dan is correct in his assumption that we have different startingpoints but:

Dan Goodell wrote on Nov 7th, 2015 at 2:55am:
(Christer may have had fewer updates because I went straight from IE8 to IE11.)

In my images, I have not updated IE8. It takes only a few minutes to do and I am glad that, when istalling IE11, there are no remnants of IE9 and IE10.

I also checked the logfile with all prerequisite updates installed with the exception of KB2882822:

Quote:
00:20.888: INFO:    Version Check for (KB2882822) of C:\Windows\System32\tdh.dll: 6.1.7600.16385 >= 6.1.7601.18247 (False)
00:52.697: INFO:    Download for KB2882822 initiated. Downloading http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=324541 -> KB2882822_amd64.MSU.
00:52.728: INFO:    Waiting for 1 prerequisite downloads.
01:07.813: INFO:    Prerequisite download processes have completed. Starting Installation of 1 prerequisites.
01:07.829: WARNING: Error downloading non-blocking prerequisite file (KB2882822): 0x800c0005 (2148270085)

01:07.829 reveals that there are "non-blocking" prerequisite files and I assume that is the same when it comes to, KB2639308 and KB2888049 which also are "optional" (according to "Prerequisite updates for Internet Explorer 11").

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #41 - Nov 7th, 2015 at 1:56pm

I have forgotten to mention that prior to connecting to the internet (freshly restored Image) and running Windows Update, I can manually install several updates with only a single reboot. After connecting to the internet and running Windows Update, no more.

After installing the first update, the next hangs on "checking the system for updates" while churning on at high CPU- and RAM-usage. If I wait long enough, several minutes, it continues. If I reboot, I have a minute or two to do the next installation, prior to TrustedInstaller (possibly initiated the manual installation of an update) starting the show again.

However, turning automatic updates off seems to be a workaround but no matter what, my previous question about "what they are smoking" is still valid. Windows Update is a total disaster!

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #42 - Nov 12th, 2015 at 1:36am

I noted that KB3102810, which was released as optional a week or two ago, was re-released this Tuesday as important. The KB-article had not been updated to show this but it was offered to my system as important. It was/is also said to not replace any previous updates but the October version of the update to the Windows Update Client, KB3083710, is no longer offered. I don't know if the regedit works with only KB3102810 installed but I have no time to check until monday at the earliest.

After this week's  batch of updates, I made a trial installation of IE11 and noted that some of the versions of the files, not updated as prerequisites and checked by the installer, had changed:

Quote:
Before installing this week's updates:
00:20.265: INFO:    Version Check for (KB2639308) of C:\Windows\System32\Ntoskrnl.exe: 6.1.7601.19018 >= 6.1.7601.17727 (True)
00:20.312: INFO:    Version Check for (KB2533623) of C:\Windows\System32\api-ms-win-security-base-l1-1-0.dll: 6.1.7601.19018 >= 6.1.7601.17617 (True)
00:20.358: INFO:    Version Check for (KB2731771) of C:\Windows\System32\conhost.exe: 6.1.7601.19018 >= 6.1.7601.17888 (True)

After installing this week's updates:
00:20.233: INFO:    Version Check for (KB2639308) of C:\Windows\System32\Ntoskrnl.exe: 6.1.7601.19045 >= 6.1.7601.17727 (True)
00:20.280: INFO:    Version Check for (KB2533623) of C:\Windows\System32\api-ms-win-security-base-l1-1-0.dll: 6.1.7601.19045 >= 6.1.7601.17617 (True)
00:20.326: INFO:    Version Check for (KB2731771) of C:\Windows\System32\conhost.exe: 6.1.7601.19045 >= 6.1.7601.17888 (True)

It has been noted earlier that every system is different, depending on which updates have been installed and this is a bit of evidence.

I'll be away from home until Monday next week and will probably not be able to respond to any comments you may post. Have a nice weekend, all!

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #43 - Nov 18th, 2015 at 7:48am

Christer wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 1:36am:
I noted that KB3102810, which was released as optional a week or two ago, was re-released this Tuesday as important. The KB-article had not been updated to show this but it was offered to my system as important. It was/is also said to not replace any previous updates but the October version of the update to the Windows Update Client, KB3083710, is no longer offered. I don't know if the regedit works with only KB3102810 installed but I have no time to check until monday at the earliest.

My statement that "the October version of the update to the Windows Update Client, KB3083710, is no longer offered" refers to my system after an Image restore to prior to installing any update at all, pertaining to "the Windows Update Client".

KB3102810 does replace all earlier updates to the Windows Update Client, well, at least according to the information at Microsoft Update Catalog.

KB3102810 removes the WU-icon from the Notification Area but the regedit brings it back.

When I started the computer today, I timed the activities at startup:

13:00 - up and running - CPU = 0% - RAM = 30%
13:02 - WU-icon appears in the Notification Area and TrustedInstaller appears in the TaskManager - variations in CPU- and RAM-usage but it "stabilizes" at
13:04 - CPU = 25% - RAM = 50%
13:11 - CPU = 0% - RAM = 50% - this is the timestamp for WU checking for updates
13:12 - CPU = 25% - RAM = 50%
13:20 - CPU = 0% - RAM = 50% - this is the timestamp for MSE checking for updates/definitions
13:21 - CPU = 25% - RAM = 50%
13:29 - CPU = 0% - RAM = 50%
13:31 - TrustedInstaller disappears from the TaskManager - CPU = 0% - RAM = 50%
13:34 - CPU = 0% - RAM = 25%

The question is if the timestamp in the WU-application and the MSE-application is the start or the finish of the search? (I believe it is the finish.)

The difference in "stabilized" RAM-usage (50% - 25% = 25%) is 1 GB on my system. That's better (lower) than with other updates to the Windows Update Client installed when it was double that number.

Why does it have to take ½ an hour when it took a few minutes before this degradation of Windows Update?

What is it (actually) doing ... Angry ... ?

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #44 - Nov 18th, 2015 at 6:55pm

@
Christer

Until Win10 I had Windows Updates set to Never Update. I updated manually about 3 weeks after the updates were released. Now with Win10  you have no control over the updates so I just sit back and let them happen. Win10 is great. It feels faster than Win8 which felt faster than Win7.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print