Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Ghost 11.5 ISO and Windows 10 (Read 56141 times)
OldCasper
Technoluster

I Love Ghost!

Florida, USA

Re: Ghost 11.5 ISO and Windows 10
Reply #15 - Aug 10th, 2017 at 7:37pm

I can still remember that crazy kid (drug addict) that did the Dell commercials.
"Congratulations, you're getting a Dell"!   Sorry, that was a while back, but some memories die hard.

I build my own 'Personal' computers, because with an aftermarket motherboard, like my Gigabyte, you have many more options and abilities, many more than I will ever use in my lifetime.

On my mobo, I set it to UEFI/Legacy, and it always sees my WiFi Mouse and USB Keyboard.
The OS makes no difference. 

I have successfully backed up every OS from XP to Win-10 Pro/64, and Ghost 11.5, run from my DOS boot disk, doesn't seem to even notice or care.

The way Ghost is written, it backs up ones and zeros as it sees them and doesn't seem to make any ID of the OS, or type of data.

My webmaster used to back up his Linux Server with Ghost 11.5.

As for the Restore, on Windows 10..... I can't guarantee that.  I have not actually tried it yet.
But I can, if you'd like.

Cool

A man with experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

IP Logged

OldCasper
Technoluster

I Love Ghost!

Florida, USA

Reply #16 - Aug 10th, 2017 at 10:47pm

OK Bruce, this one's for you....

First let me say that I don't normally run Windows 10.  I much prefer Win-7 Ultimate/32.

Having said that, I do have Windows 10 Pro/64 on an old 80GB Seagate drive.
So I unplugged my W7 HD and plugged in the Win-10 drive, booted it up and made sure it was working properly. 
Then I rebooted the system with my DOS boot disk containing Ghost 11.5 and I proceeded to do a Ghost backup to a second partition on the W-10 HD.  The backup went off without a hitch, and my WiFi Mouse and USB Keyboard worked just find through the process.

Following the creation of the Backup Image File with FAST Compression, I immediately did a Restore of "Image to Partition".  So my C: partition was completely overwritten.  That too ended without any errors.

Then I shut down the system, removed my Ghost CD, and rebooted to the HD.  Windows 10 came up absolutely normal.  So I have to conclude that both the Backup and the Restore worked 100%.

I hope that answers at least some of your questions.

EPM tells me that the C: partition is formatted NTFS/ Basic MBR.

That's the way Windows 10 installed itself on this HD.  I had nothing to do with that.

Cheers Mate!

Cool

IP Logged

bruce_b
Dude

I Love Radified!

Apex, North Carolina

Reply #17 - Aug 18th, 2017 at 8:53am

Thank you for the information. I am sticking with Ghost on my old Dell 8200 as it does just fine on that. I did burn the Ghost 11.5 ISO and while it will boot, it does not see the USB Keyboard or USB Mouse ... So how do I fix that minor glitch ?  As to my laptop, I decided to buy Acronis True Image 2017 and it creates a Bootable USB Drive or Bootable CD which does see the USB Keyboard and Mouse .. Have not yet made the Image as it will need to go to an External Hard Drive and that will take some time with a USB 2 drive.

IP Logged

OldCasper
Technoluster

I Love Ghost!

Florida, USA

Reply #18 - Sep 3rd, 2017 at 7:43pm

I don't know if I've ever gone into detail about my Ghost 11.5 boot disk (CD, Flash Drive or SD card).

My DOS boot disk comes up in an Ansi Color dos menu, with many options, on just how I will run Ghost.
I also have utilities like the Universal Low Level Formatter, and NTFS4DOS.  I even have a Windows Password removal tool on the disk.

I even have cleanup utilities to clean up an old FAT32 formatted HD, like with XP on it.
I always ran XP on a FAT32 hard drive, contrary to the self proclaimed Experts who said that wouldn't work.  Hey dudes, it works just fine and gives me far greater control of my data.

Like the same guys who said I couldn't use Ghost to Defrag my hard drive.  lol lol lol
But think about it...if you do a Ghost backup and follow that with a Ghost restore....Ghost overwrites the C: partition, laying down the files in perfect order, with NO spaces between them, effectively Defragmenting the HD.  I've done it hundreds of times and it works GREAT.

Most importantly, I run "Mouse.com" from the Autoexec.bat file on the Ghost Boot disk.  So even though I'm running a DOS program, I still have my mouse.  I can run Ghost from the keyboard, but it's much easier and faster to run it with my mouse.  If your keyboard is plugged directly into your motherboard, it should work OK with Ghost.  I can't imagine that it wouldn't.

Ghost 11.5 was an upgrade to Ghost 2003, to make it compatible with NTFS formatting.
But truly it was never upgraded to deal with UEFI, which I just don't use.

So if anyone says that Ghost 11.5 won't work with an OS on a UEFI formatted HD. that may well be true.
OH well, that doesn't affect me! 

Y'all have a great day now, Y'hear?

Casper  Cool

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #19 - Sep 4th, 2017 at 2:20am

OldCasper wrote on Sep 3rd, 2017 at 7:43pm:
I can run Ghost from the keyboard, but it's much easier and faster to run it with my mouse.

Ah, man ... I was with 'ya right up to that point! I had you pegged as a fellow DOS junkie, but no self-respecting command-line jockey would *ever* agree that a mouse is faster.

If keyboard commands are supported, they're *always* faster than a mouse could ever be. (Have you ever tried "typing ahead" with a mouse? You can with a keyboard.)

Quote:
Ghost 11.5 was an upgrade to Ghost 2003, to make it compatible with NTFS formatting.

I have to disagree with that. Ghost 2003 and even 2002 had no trouble with NTFS file systems.

My understanding is v11.5 was principally an upgrade to support Vista/Win7. Ghost 2002/2003 could understand XP's boot.ini file (and manipulate it when necessary), but not Vista/Win7's BCD. Ghost 11.5 fixed that shortcoming.

I think v11.5 may have also fixed v2003's disk size limit, which IIRC was something like 1.1 TB or thereabouts, but since I long ago switched to Terabyte Image I haven't tested Ghost 11.5's limits.

Quote:
if anyone says that Ghost 11.5 won't work with an OS on a UEFI formatted HD. that may well be true.

Setting aside the fact that UEFI is not a "format" (I think you meant GPT--which isn't a format either, but is the issue you're really talking about) ...

Whether or not Ghost 11.5 (or any other utility) can manage partitions in a GPT partitioning system is dependent on the OS being booted. In your case, your boot media is booting DOS, but DOS does not understand the GPT system so cannot pass along to Ghost the information it needs to know where the partitions are.

The partition itself is actually no different on a GPT system than it is on a MBR system, but in order to locate that partition you have to be booting an OS that understands the partition indexing system in use. DOS understands the MBR system but not the GPT system. So while v11.5 might otherwise have no trouble backing up a GPT partition, it can't back it up if it can't find it, and it can't find it if the underlying OS can't.

IP Logged

OldCasper
Technoluster

I Love Ghost!

Florida, USA

Reply #20 - Sep 4th, 2017 at 1:41pm

Hmmm!
I've been using Ghost since 1997, and I've always loaded a mouse driver from the Autoexec.bat file on the boot disk, since I first discovered that Ghost could be run with a mouse.

I have friends who like the keyboard, but I never have.  That goes back a very long ways.

So a Mouse is my choice of weapon, and I don't appreciate being bad mouthed for it.  OK.

However your Technical expertise is much appreciated, although redundant since I have figured out how to best run Ghost 11.5 on all my 20 PC's.  If I have bad information, it's probably because most of what I know or think I know about Ghost was learned right here on this forum.

Like when N.B. said that Symantec never wrote a Ghost 11.5 version.  He wasn't here very long after that.

I hope that we can all just agree to 'Get Along', without the Bad Mouthing.

Cheers mates!
Cool

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #21 - Sep 4th, 2017 at 1:51pm

It's not bad-mouthing when it's correcting the spread of incorrect information.

IP Logged

OldCasper
Technoluster

I Love Ghost!

Florida, USA

Reply #22 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 9:32am

Well, I consider it badmouthing when you try to make me feel stupid for using a mouse, instead of the keyboard to run Ghost.  Actually it's none of your business what I use. Eh?

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #23 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 8:32pm

OldCasper wrote on Sep 7th, 2017 at 9:32am:
Actually it's none of your business what I use. Eh?

Agreed. I wonder who brought it up?

IP Logged

OldCasper
Technoluster

I Love Ghost!

Florida, USA

Reply #24 - Oct 6th, 2018 at 1:16pm

Regardless of "he said, she said", it's a year later and I'm still using Ghost 11.5 every week to do all my HD backups, regardless whether the OS is Windows 7, Win-8.1, or Win 10 32 or 64.

The process works just as well as it did years ago, on Windows 98 or Windows XP.

I love something that just "WORKS"!  Wink

Cheers Mates!

:cool:

IP Logged

OldCasper
Technoluster

I Love Ghost!

Florida, USA

Reply #25 - Jul 30th, 2019 at 7:59pm

Well, it's now 2019, and a hot summer, and lo and behold, I'm still using Ghost 11.5, booting up my PC from either a CD or Flash Drive and doing my weekly (not weakly) backups.

It works great, backing up my SSD to a 1TB external HD.  I can back up the whole drive (cloning) or just the C: partition of the SSD.  Either way, it still works great.

Cheers Mates!
Y'all have a great summer now, Y'hear?
Casper Cool

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #26 - Jul 31st, 2019 at 2:57am

I'm still using Ghost 2003 to backup my Windows 7 Pro 64-bit system.

To backup my Windows 10 Home 64-bit system, I have started using Terabyte Image for Linux. It works from a USB-stick and Linux as the OS but creates images, incrementals, clones and "whatever" you wish on any OS, file system and BIOS/UEFI.

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

mariella
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Italy

Reply #27 - Aug 3rd, 2019 at 3:15pm

Christer wrote on Jul 31st, 2019 at 2:57am:
I have started using Terabyte Image for Linux

Agreed!

IMHO, nowadays, Terabyte tools are one of the most reliable and complete set
among all those dedicated to multiOS system backup.

IP Logged

OldCasper
Technoluster

I Love Ghost!

Florida, USA

Reply #28 - May 31st, 2021 at 2:32pm

I can't believe that it's been almost two years since I last posted here.
WOW!  How time flies when you're having fun, Eh?

I have NO changes to report.  I still use Ghost 11.5 on a DOS Boot disk to do my weekly backups and an occasional CLONE of my main SSD to a backup drive.  It works great to back up my Windows 8.1/Pro/64 OS.

End:

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #29 - Jun 1st, 2021 at 2:14am

Nice to see that you check in every now and then. Maybe more "then" than "now" but anyway ...  Wink ... !

I myself have actually abandoned Ghost since I "upgraded" my DeskTop from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro. The question is if it really was an upgrade ...  Lips Sealed ... ?

Windows 10 Home is installed on a LapTop and I regret not choosing one with Pro. For us "tinkerers", Home is so limited compared to Pro.

EDITED: To clarify, I upgraded Windows from 7 to 10 on the old hardware from 2010.

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print