Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print
SUCCESS USING GHOST WITH NOTEBOOK & PCMCIA CARD (Read 215583 times)
medhat kamal

problem!!!
Reply #30 - Jul 9th, 2005 at 4:08am

hi,

i have tried everything but when it comes to "connect target to usb port", i get this error "no usb host controller found" although my pcmcia card is connected and my external hard drive is connected

can anyone please help me and tell me what tot do?

thankyou

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: SUCCESS USING GHOST WITH NOTEBOOK & PCMIA
Reply #31 - Jul 9th, 2005 at 10:26am

medhat kamal.

Quote:
i have tried
everything

Need a little more detail than this--your hardware setup, what boot disk have you setup, content of *config.sys* and *autoexec.bat*, and any other helpful information to give us a starting point in order to....

Quote:
...help me and tell me what tot do?

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

medhat kamal lottfy

Reply #32 - Jul 9th, 2005 at 2:39pm

hi,

thanks for replying

i am using the first boot option in norton ghost 2003, i did all the steps in the first page, i have copied all the content for the config.sys in the first page to my config.sys, my autoexec.bat contains these information:
@echo off
SET TZ=GHO+08:00
MOUSE.COM
echo Loading...
cls

if %config% == FROMFLPY goto FLPYBOOT
if %config% == FROMCD goto CDBOOT

goto FAILED

:FLPYBOOT
echo Insert Ghost boot disk 2 (containing Ghost.exe)
pause
if exist a:\ghost\ghost.exe goto GHOSTFND
goto FLPYBOOT

:CDBOOT
echo Insert Ghost boot disk 2 (containing Ghost.exe)
pause
if not exist b:\ghost\ghost.exe goto CDBOOT
b:
goto GHOSTFND

:GHOSTFND
cd \ghost
echo Loading...
GHOST.EXE
goto END

:FAILED
echo Unknown boot menu selection
goto END

:END

i don't know what else to do, whenever i press enter after i connect the target usb to my port it gives me usb host controller not found

my usbaspi.sys is of size 37KB

my DI1000DD.SYS is of size 16KB

i hope these are the correct files
thankyou

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #33 - Jul 9th, 2005 at 5:40pm

Quote:
"... I don't know what else to do, whenever i press enter after i connect the target usb to my port it gives me usb host controller not found..."

medhat kamal lottfy -

I am operating on the assumption that you have a notebook PC with a PCMIA-to-USB 2.0 card, an external HDD connected via USB 2.0 , and your OS is XP Home Edition or Professional.

The two tables below illustrate USB 2.0 host controller and USB 2.0 device controller specifications I have gleaned while trying to ensure compatibility of USB 2.0 external HDD enclosure kits with DOS-based Norton Ghost 2003:

From what I can tell up to now, USB 2.0 host controllers have eventually shaken out to either
VID=8086h
or
VID=1033h
- and no other thusfar.  So, what I am now able to do with a fair degree of certainty is counsel someone as to: (1) whether or not they will need a PCI-to-USB Host Adapter Card despite having USB 2.0 ports on their systemboard - and which model cards are compliant with Ghost 2003 operations; and (2) whether or not adopting NightOwl's Panasonic Universal USB Drivers routine will render their hitherto incompatible external enclosure kit Ghost 2003-compatible.

On the host end of the "bridge", the useful items are in properties of only those terminal "branch(es)" on the Universal Serial Bus controllers "tree" containing the word
'Enhanced'
.  On the destination end of the "bridge", the useful items are in properties of only those terminal "branch(es)" on the Universal Serial Bus controllers "tree" containing the phrase
'Mass Storage Device'

To reveal the particulars of both your
USB 2.0 PCMIA host controller
and your
USB 2.0 device controller
, follow the procedure below:

(1) go to Desktop and right click on My Computer;

(2) drop down to left click on Manage;

(3) in left pane, expand System Tools;

(4) in left pane, drop down to left click on Device Manager;

(5) for both USB controllers and mass storage devices in right pane, expand Universal Serial Bus controllers;

(6) for USB Mass Storage Devices, skip down to (7) -
else
for USB 2.0 controllers, focus on those lines containing either the abbreviation
'USB2'
or the word
'Enhanced'
, then go to (7);

(7) right click on any such lines that drop down, then left click on Properties;

(8) left click on the Details tab;

(9) left click on the dropdown menu containing Device Instance Id; and

(10) left click on
Hardware Ids
and carefully transcribe the last two lines in the window. To be overly generous, drop down two more lines and repeat for
Matching Device Id

The image below reveals the functional USB 2.0 controller on the Macally PHR-100A enclosure (note that on my Dell Dimension 8300, I have three
'Enhanced'
USb controllers listed - including the poisonous Intel 80281EB):

If we are aware what is at each end of your "bridge", then we all can learn by working together - not only to help you, but also the next person whose PC goes awry.

El Pescador

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #34 - Jul 9th, 2005 at 6:35pm

medhat kamal lottfy

1.  Are you using a laptop, and are you booting from a USB floppy drive, that you disconnect and then connect your HDD to the USB port during the boot up?

The reason I ask is in the command line in *config.sys*:

DEVICEHIGH=USBASPI.SYS /v /w /e

The '/w' switch is a 'wait until I connect the USB device' command--usually used to allow for disconnecting one device and connecting another device.  If you do not need to do this, I would try removing the switch from the above command line.  And having the USB HDD already connected and turned on before booting.

2.  I assume you are loading the Panasonic USB driver v2.06.  There has been two additional versions released that you could try:

v2.15
, size=39,093, dated 10/26/2003

v2.20
, size=39,179, dated 11/07/2004

These are self-extracting files.  You will find USBASPI.SYS in the F2H subdirectory.

Let us know if the newer versions offer compatibility with your hardware setup.

(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

medhat kamal

Reply #35 - Jul 11th, 2005 at 5:06am

hi,

first thankyou for your help

i have removed the /w switch frm the config.sys, i've tried both files and it gave me the same error as if the pcmcia card is not installed, i really don't know what to do to make it work, i've cheked the kind of usb on the pcmcia card and it's NEC, i beleive i've read somewhere that panasonic drivers suport nec usb chipsets, i don't know if there is any other drivers i should try?
my external hard drive is 80GB, i don't know if they matter

thankyou

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #36 - Jul 11th, 2005 at 10:53am

medhat kamal

1.  What brand of USB HDD do you have?  Is it an *enclosure* type setup where you add the HDD to it?

2.  Is the USB NEC chip on the PCMCIA card USB 1.1 or 2.0?  You could try removing the '/e' switch from the command line
*DEVICEHIGH=USBASPI.SYS /v /w /e*

That switch forces USB 2.0 only, removing it lets the USB driver 'automatically' load the necessary support for all flavors of USB.

3.  Do you have any *legacy* USB support enabled in the BIOS to support USB mice or keyboards attached to the system?  These can sometime interfer with the function of the USB driver being loaded in *config.sys*--disable these in the BIOS.

Unfortunately, not all USB devices work under DOS with the available USB drivers available--only trial and error answers that question--there are not a lot of drivers available.

You did not list your *config.sys* file, but I assume it is the same as the beginning of this thread--you're using a Win98se boot disk that has been modified--so using MS-DOS files for the DOS OS, and loading *himem.sys* in config.sys--some systems need MS-DOS and not PC-DOS in order to functions properly--and need the *himem.sys* loaded for proper memory management.

Let us know how your efforts progress.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #37 - Jul 11th, 2005 at 1:14pm

medhat kamal lottfy -

Am I correct in assuming that you have a notebook PC with a PCMIA-to-USB 2.0 card, an external HDD connected via USB 2.0 (
what make and model ?
), and that your OS is XP Home Edition or Professional ?

On the host end of the "bridge", the useful items are in properties of only those terminal "branch(es)" on the Universal Serial Bus controllers "tree" containing the word
'Enhanced'
.  On the destination end of the "bridge", the useful items are in properties of only those terminal "branch(es)" on the Universal Serial Bus controllers "tree" containing the phrase
'Mass Storage Device'

If you are running a Windows XP operating system
, please reveal the particulars of both your
and your
by following the procedure below:

(5) for both USB controllers and mass storage devices in right pane, expand Universal Serial Bus controllers;

else
for USB 2.0 controllers, focus on those lines containing either the abbreviation
'USB2'
or the word
'Enhanced'
, then go to (7);

(7) right click on any such lines that drop down, then left click on Properties;

(10) left click on
Hardware Ids
and carefully transcribe the last two lines in the window. To be overly generous, drop down two more lines and repeat for
Matching Device Id

The image below reveals the functional USB 2.0 controller on the Macally PHR-100A enclosure (note that on my Dell Dimension 8300, I have three
'Enhanced'

Be advised that knowing what hardware with concomitant software controllers are each end of your "bridge" is useful in helping you - and others in the future.

El Pescador

IP Logged

medhat kamal

Reply #38 - Jul 11th, 2005 at 4:27pm

hi,
can you please tell me how exactly to insert an image because i am using this statement to upload an image on my computer but it's not working

e://forum_image\pic1.jpg

thankyou

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #39 - Jul 11th, 2005 at 6:09pm

Quote:
"... can you please tell me how exactly to insert an image because i am using this statement to upload an image on my computer but it's not working..."

This thread has several posts therein with comments on inserting images (if your online photo-storage site is inaccessible for whatever reason, let me know and I will place an eMailed image from you in one of my two local accounts):

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11187...

El Pescador

IP Logged

medhat kamal

Reply #40 - Jul 12th, 2005 at 12:09am

hi,

after a lot of reading it woooooooooooooorked,

i've read somewhere that some computer it's pcmcia slots are off and they need a special driver to turn them on so i have downloaded usbenabler for the pcmcia slot and i used duse.exe 4.9 as a usb mass storage driver and it worked with ghost too
everything is fine finally
thankyou very much for your help, i really appreciate it

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #41 - Jul 12th, 2005 at 2:01am

medhat kamal

Great news!

For the good of the forum, could you offer a link to where you found that information about having to enable the pcmcia slot, and the source for the 'usbenabler' driver(?), or program(?).

I would be curious to know, also, if the Panasonic driver also now works with the pcmcia enabled.

You might find that it gives better performance while doing a Ghost backup, if it does.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #42 - Jul 12th, 2005 at 2:27am

Quote:
"... it's pcmcia slots are off and they need a special driver to turn them on so i have downloaded usbenabler for the pcmcia slot and i used duse.exe 4.9 as a usb mass storage driver and it worked with ghost too..."
NightOwl wrote on Jul 12th, 2005 at 2:01am:
"... Great news!"
Great news, indeed !!!
Please share the details for the good of the forum:
http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=10759...

El Pescador

IP Logged

medhat kamal

Reply #43 - Jul 13th, 2005 at 3:26am

hi,

i don't remember exactly where i read the article about the pcmcia cards that need to be turned on but if i found it, i'll post the link but it was on dell forums, the link for cardbus usb 2.0 enabler for dos is on this site but the file is only trial for 14 days http://www.tssc.de

i was trying to get a a crack for it but i couldn't, then i used duse 4.4 driver for USB mass storage but for some reason it kept hanging on me, after that i downloaded duse 4.9 then it worked fine, duse driver is found on this web site
http://www.bootdisk.com/usb.htm

thankyou

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #44 - Jul 13th, 2005 at 11:15am

medhat kamal -

From what I can tell up to now, USB 2.0 host controllers have eventually shaken out to either
VID=8086h
or
VID=1033h
- and no other thusfar.

'Enhanced'
'Mass Storage Device'

Please reveal the particulars of both your
and your
by following the procedure below:

else
'USB2'
or the word
'Enhanced'
, then go to (7);

(10) left click on
Hardware Ids
and
carefully transcribe the last two lines in the window to post in this thread

'Enhanced'

El Pescador

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print