Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
SUCCESS USING GHOST WITH NOTEBOOK & PCMCIA CARD (Read 215614 times)
Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: SUCCESS USING GHOST WITH NOTEBOOK & PCMIA
Reply #15 - Jul 30th, 2004 at 1:14pm

Looks like he removed the file.

http://www.cisnet.com/glennmcc/download/

I noticed this thread now has a few thousand views. Maybe he was feeling the bandwidth. I shot him an email, asking about it.

If anyone has the file handy, from a previous download, I'd be glad to mirror it on my 'Files' page:

http://radified.com/Files/

I have "unlimited" bandwidth.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #16 - Jul 31st, 2004 at 3:16am

I traded a few emails with Glenn. These files were suking too much of his bandwidth, so he sent them and I posted them here:

http://radified.com/Files/ (bottom-left)

IP Logged

Juan Riat

Reply #17 - Sep 3rd, 2004 at 11:18am

Hi i have done everything you guys have said, how to set up the floppies and modify the files and it worked, my laptop boots fine from the floppy and recognizes de external hardrive, BUT... there's always a but uh? lol THe speed connection is not  like USB 2.0 should be, its only ghosting at between 150-200 MB/Min, so is there something I'm missing, please i need help, e-mail me at Ar6entino@hotmail.com
Thank you very much, you were a big help with it cuz at least now it takes less time but i know USB 2.0 can do better than that. thanks again

IP Logged

regitized
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #18 - Oct 22nd, 2004 at 9:55am

i still can't get this working, i have a firewire external harddrive connected to my laptop's PCMCIA card.  I keep getting a 40204 error. It looks like it can't see the PCMCIA card. Does anyone think this is due to the quote on symatec's site saying: Symantec does not support plugging the external drive into a Firewire or USB PCMCIA card on a laptop.  If it is, is there any way to bypass this for firewire?  I have an IBM T23 with the IBM PCMCIA firwire card.

Thanks

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #19 - Oct 25th, 2004 at 1:18am

regitized

Quote:
Symantec does not support plugging the external drive into a Firewire or USB PCMCIA card on a laptop.

I suspect that's the problem.  Using a non-Ghost USB driver for DOS seems to allow use of a PCMCIA card for USB, (see here: http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=10954...; but I've seen nothing regarding using Firewire under DOS through a PCMCIA card.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

mjmsk

Reply #20 - Dec 8th, 2004 at 6:33am

I've tried to access the links ( http://www.cisnet.com/glennmcc/download/usb-dos.php) detailed for the files, but it no longer works.

Can anybody suggest how I can get hold of the files USBASPI.SYS AND DI1000DD.SYS ?

Thanks

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #21 - Dec 8th, 2004 at 1:20pm

Quote:
"... Can anybody suggest how I can get hold of the files USBASPI.SYS AND DI1000DD.SYS ?"

mjmsk
Try Googling the following expression:

'USBASPI.SYS + DI1000DD.SYS'

You should try with - and also without - the quotation marks.  Carefully winnow through the hits, and you almost certainly will find a workable link...
... or...
... you could simply visit:

http://radified.com/Files/

and search for
USB - DOS

El Pescador

IP Logged

PCM_CIA
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Jan 13th, 2005 at 12:06am

A double "thank you" to RAD and NJB.

Rad, great informative website!!

NJB, BRILLIANT program with excellent instructions!!

Thanks to NJB I was able to use Ghost on a  dinasour laptop (1.1 USB)  Compaq 1247 (1999) using a $25 no-name (external powered) 4 Port USB Cardbus Card (Model # 2514). It took Ghost a little under 1/2 hr to backup a 5 GB image. Speed was approx 140 MB/min. The amazing part was that Ghost recognized two other drives connected to the USB Cardbus.

In Windows 98 SE Ghost could "see" the drives attached to the Cardbus but could not verify the images.  I was able to verify the images by switching and connecting  each one seperately to the main single USB port at the back of the Compaq. That verification process took a very long time. Hope the above might be of help to someone else.

Thanks again Guys.

IP Logged

Quan-Ling Sim

Reply #23 - Jan 25th, 2005 at 3:04pm

Ghost may encounter a problem while creating the file image.  If this happens, make sure that Ghost is updated to version 2003.793 or later.

IP Logged

Allen McKenzie

Reply #24 - Jan 26th, 2005 at 6:09pm

This is a great resource.  I consider myself fairly computer literate (I'm not a programmer or enginner) and just want to ask what is the risk of using this solution to the PCMCIA USB 2.0 adapter card problem, if any? 

For example, if I mess something up will I wipe my internal harddrive clean, or mess up my laptop's registry or something like that?  If so, I'll suffer through USB 1.1 speed until I upgrade to a newer laptop.  Assuming Ghost 2003 will image through my laptop's USB 1.1 connection to my external harddrive.  It will, won't it?  I have about 9 GB on my C drive I want to image.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #25 - Jan 27th, 2005 at 3:09am

Allen McKenzie

If the non-Ghost DOS driver is not compatible, your system may freeze, or you may get an error message...but no harm done.

Just reboot without the DOS boot disk and you're back where you started from.

The only time you're at risk when using Ghost is when you 'restore' or 'clone' to your HDD--that's when you are writing to the HDD and making changes.  When creating an image, you save the image to a HDD, but it's not changing the source information.

Quote:
Assuming Ghost 2003 will image through my laptop's USB 1.1 connection to my external harddrive.  It will, won't it?

You'll never know for sure until you try  Wink .

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Kujo
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Feb 8th, 2005 at 7:10am

Kick-Ass Thread!
Thanks for the info.
Just a simple question though....

Is there a size limitation to the external hard drive connected via the USB2 port?  I appear to be getting a read error on my external drive which is 120GB in size.  Please don't tell me I'm bound by drives smaller than 80 gigs....   OK, if you have to tell me that, then please go easy on me.  I'm going to have to hunt down a smaller drive then.  If there are no size limitations, which would be hard to believe, then I'll keep troubleshooting till I get this right.

But again, just wanted to say thank you for some pretty kick ass stuff!
Cheesy

IP Logged

Canu

Reply #27 - Feb 15th, 2005 at 4:25am

Smiley Bonjour,
J'ai un laptop Dell C640 , grace a vous j'ai pu utiliser Ghost 2003 avec carte PCMCIA et port USB 2.0.
Votre méthode est excellente.
Thankyou very much

IP Logged

DaddyO
Radmeister

Oh, brother.

Reply #28 - Feb 15th, 2005 at 6:05am

Translation:

Hello, I have a laptop Dell C640, thanks to you I could use Ghost 2003 with chart PCMCIA and port USB 2.0.  Your method is excellent.

IP Logged

jehosaphat bishop

my god, it works!
Reply #29 - Apr 25th, 2005 at 10:42am

Yep, i can't believe. It only took one try even. I couldn't get anything but corrupted win98se bootdisks from www.bootdisk.com, but found necessary package (with himem.sys) at this site:
http://flyakite.msfnhosting.com/98se.htm

thanks everyone who contributed and helped me finally make efficient backup and recovery a reality

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print