Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 20
Send Topic Print
A Better USB 2.0 DOS Driver for Ghost + More! (Read 645732 times)
Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: A Better USB 2.0 DOS Driver for Ghost + More!
Reply #105 - Sep 11th, 2005 at 4:54pm

More than 15,000 pageviews, and over 100 replies. Wow.

IP Logged

uwebowe

Reply #106 - Sep 12th, 2005 at 1:09am

NightOwl wrote on Sep 11th, 2005 at 11:23am:
uwebowe

Actually, no--I've not seen anything like the above.  Here is a resource I've used:

Subject: USB driver for DOS = USBASPI.SYS

The above resource also outlines other drivers that are similar--you might try those.

Also, zoro's post is informative--some *systems* do not work well without the use of *himem.sys* for memory management--wouldn't hurt to try that in your *config.sys* file as he outlines.

nightowl,
here is a link of where i read about switches on DI1000dd.sys
http://www.computing.net/dos/wwwboard/forum/15085.html

about zoro's suggestion, did you mean that i try not loading the himem.sys?

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #107 - Sep 12th, 2005 at 1:32am

uwebowe

Quote:
about zoro's suggestion, did you mean that i try not loading the himem.sys?

My *bad*--I thought you were not loading it, and was suggesting that you try it!

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Clayman

Reply #108 - Sep 13th, 2005 at 1:53am

Many thanks for such a great post.  It has taken me days (on and off) to get through all the discussions and links.

I am running a generic 2.0 USB enclosure on a WD 250Gb harddrive.  The system is a Asus P4GE-MX running a 2.4 GHz Celeron.  I tried to figure out the manufacture of the USB control on the MB and was not able to do so.  I also have a Ali 2.0 card in the system. 

I have seen some discussion about transfer rates and I still feel that the rates are unacceptable. 

The system didn't really need any special drivers to be able to boot from and/or talk to the USB External drive.  However, when I first tested Ghost under this configuration, Ghost indicated that it was averaging 60 MB/min or 1MB/sec.  When directly connected to the IDE bus, 1000 MB/Min transfer rates were seen, so I at least assume that is the best I would ever do due to some sort of limitation of the bus.

After reading this post, I was confident I had to be able to do better.  I tried the Ghost Iomega boot disk configurations with IBMDOS and MSDOS and could never get the system to see the External USB hardrive.  I also tried DUSE and had the same issues.

Tonight, I tried the Panasonic driver with the *motto haru* driver.  All the drives were recognized and assigned new drive letters.  The "normal" system recognization of the External USB Harddrive was also still seen and assigned a drive letter, by these drives were not usable.

In testing Ghost 2003 with this new configuration, I was able to get a sustained transfer rate of up to 170 MB/min.  This is still substantially slower than the maximum transfer rate possible with USB 2.0 of 3600 MB/min and I still remain confused as to what I can do to speed things up.  Obviously, the Panasonic driver is better than the built-in BIOS recognization of the USB device.

It would be appreciated if any recommendations could be made as to how to speed up the transfer rate to the External USB device.  Also, forgot to mention... whether connected to the USB bus on the MB or the Ali card, the results are the same.

IP Logged

presbuteros
N00b

Yeah...  I'm new...

Reply #109 - Sep 15th, 2005 at 11:56am

I am currently reviewing this thread in hopes to use it for a USB 2.0 Maxtor One Touch II 300 Gig... 

Thank you greatly to those who have contributed; it does not go without much gratitude.

IP Logged

uwebowe

Reply #110 - Sep 16th, 2005 at 4:43am

Quote:
thanks nightowl

why havent i tried testing the enclosures on other systems, how stupid of me
i guess i was so concentrated in wanting to ghost my hdd that i didnt consider that

okay then, let me try that

but let me point out that my enclosures+HDD works fine when im in Windows, meaning when i access it from Windows explorer, it works fine
also when i access it thru MS Dos prompt
i dont know if this matters, but just wanted to let you know

i read somewhere that there is a switch that you can put in the di1000dd.sys driver, it goes something like this:

Device=di1000dd.sys /Hx /Hx

i think its about accessing the Master sector and Boot sector of the HDD, something like that

are you familiar with this?

i shall let you know results when i test my enclosure+HDD on another system

thanks

hi nightowl
i have tested the enclosures with the Panasonic USB drivers on a different system/desktop, and guess what......

it didnt work too!

oh well....

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #111 - Sep 16th, 2005 at 10:44am

uwebowe

I'm thinking that you have tried two *enclosure* type USB HDD setups that are not compatible with the DOS drivers.

Next step is to try either a purpose built USB HDD and/or other enclosure USB kit that is known to work successfully on a system (any system!) to see if it works on your laptop. 

You need to try a known compatible USB HDD setup to confirm where the problem lies at this point.

It's really frustrating when components don't seem to have the compatibility that you would expect!

(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

presbuteros
N00b

Yeah...  I'm new...

Reply #112 - Sep 17th, 2005 at 8:27pm

The results are in but before I share a success story
let me say to all the Moderators
here.  Among my searching this is the only forum that has provided such
acurrate, compiled, and well-illustrated
information regarding this topic.  This should be made into a PDF and posted for D/L ...

I successfully identified in dos TWIN (2 identical) Maxtor One Touch II 300GB External USB 2.0 HDDs  using the USBASPI.SYS  v2.20 controller and the DI1000DD.SYS driver.  

Both HDDs are partitioned in half as NTFS.  (286,188MB total or 143,000something each partition)

Note: these drives have ONLY 1 USB port each.  No Firewire or Cat 5 or 6 link

This worked on two different setups:

# 1. Compaq Presario Notebook, P4 2.0Ghz, 752meg RAM, 2 USB ports out the back.

(this next one will make you cry; I do...)

# 2. HP Pavilion Desktop, P3 900Mhz ("overclocked" to 1.0 Ghz), 256meg RAM, using a BELKIN PCI USB card.

IN GHOST

setup 1

Using the # 1. setup I created an image of Disk 1, partion 2 ( 1:2 ) onto Disk 2, partition 2 ( 2:2 ).  I used FAST compression...

The total time was 5hrs 20mins.  The average speed was 400 MB/minute or 6.66 MB/second...  I read previously someone got around 550MB/minute and liked the prospects but I shouldn't complain.  The ability to even identify these drives with dos is amazing...

setup 2

Using # 2 setup I am currently checking the image integrity at 600 MB/minute or 10 MB/second.  I wanted to use the Desktop just to test the PCI card.

I am still curious, would the drivers that come with drives on cd work under dos?  Doubtfully, but still asking...

This is the end of a 25-hour road of reading forum after forum.  
Thankyou to all who have contributed and will contribute.

A few more questions:

Having two external HDDs of such capactity (4 partitions all roughly 143 GB) there is a lot freedom for me explore more efficeint storage practices.  I use HDD 1 as a regular/everyday HDD connected to my Desktop in which I keep my music, photos, and the such.  I use HDD 2 as a backup of HDD 1, my desktop, and my laptop.

1. Is it "better" to have HDD 1 formatted as NTFS vs. others?

2. Can I gain any performance during a ghost backup or file integrity if I format HDD 2 as something other than NTFS?

3. In accessing HDD 1 daily, is it possible to keep these files encrypted without a lot of time consuming processing?

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #113 - Sep 18th, 2005 at 1:24am

presbuteros

Good to hear of your successes!

Quote:
I am still curious, would the drivers that come with drives on cd work under dos?  Doubtfully, but still asking...

Usually, you have to find out by trying!

1.  Again, doing time trials will answer this question--I found the NTFS was very slightly faster than FAT32 on my USB HDD.

2.  Same as #1  Wink !

3.  Someone else will have to help you on that one--I don't use encryption.

IP Logged

presbuteros
N00b

Yeah...  I'm new...

Reply #114 - Sep 19th, 2005 at 1:32am

Thanks NightOwl...

I do not know much about drivers and did not know if they were sometimes restricted to a specific os environment (ie: a driver only usable with a particular version of windows)

I will give that a go too.  Again if there is success I will share...

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #115 - Sep 21st, 2005 at 2:20pm

Presbuteros, concerning your question “Is it possible to keep these files encrypted without a lot of time consuming processing?”, the answer is:  it depends upon the encryption tool being used (and there are many options available).  Based upon my own experience using SecretAgent (http://www.infoseccorp.com/products/secretagent/sa57win.htm), the time required to encrypt/decrypt most files (< 10MB) is negligible.

IP Logged

pbnj130
Ex Member

Reply #116 - Sep 27th, 2005 at 2:55pm

Hi all,

First time posting, just wanted to thank all the moderators for the great work & info.

I have recently used nightOwl's Panasonic drivers on my wife's Dell WinXP SP2 laptop to do a Disk Image. I was able to create the image, and successfully verified the image (for specs and transfer speed, see below). However, when I booted it up, my wife noticed that the wireless network settings that were previously saved, are now gone. I verified this, as I had to re-enter my wifi network's WEP key to reconnect to my home network.

In addition, she also noticed that when she mouses over the wifi mgr icon in the system tray, it says "Windows is managing this device" and the icon is white instead of the usual green.

Today (3 days after the disk image) she called me from school and said she got a blue screen. Rebooted and it looked to be ok. I'll have to wait til she gets home to check it.

When I created the Disk Image, I saw that there was a Dell partition that I did not know existed. I wonder if this is where they store the config data and somehow this was not copied over entirely?

I realize that this would be strange for a computer to be modified b/c of CREATING an image, not RESTORING an image, but I thought I would check in case. It's important for the laptop to stay up as we're in the thick of 1st year law school (which is why I created the ghost image in the first place! Smiley ) so I didn't want to try anything else without doing some research first.

I tried searching for answers to the above, but got nowhere, so was wondering if any of the moderators/posters with their wealth of knowledge might have heard something like this. Thanks for any assistance!

Specs:

Dell Inspiron 600m Laptop w/ WinXP SP2
40 GB HD, ~10 GB used

External USB HD: USB 2.0 80GB Maxtor Personal Storage 3100
Transfer speed: ~333 MB/min

IP Logged

lost soul

Reply #117 - Sep 28th, 2005 at 12:03am

how would you go about making that boot disk on xp pro.

ghost 8.0 wont see my usb dvd burner and i think this will work but i cant get a boot disk working? pls help
??? ??? ??? ??? ???

IP Logged

Raul

Reply #118 - Sep 28th, 2005 at 3:51am

pbnj,

did you retore an image or simply create one? creating an image shouldn't affect anything with system configuration.

http://www.goodells.net/dellutility/

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #119 - Sep 28th, 2005 at 10:42am

pbnj130

Quote:
However, when I booted it up, my wife noticed that the wireless network settings that were previously saved, are now gone.

I have to second *Raul's* comment--
creating
an image should not have had any effect on any settings. 

What is actually saved to an image by Ghost may not be an *exact* copy of what's on the HDD--Ghost leaves out certain files such as the actual *pagefile*--just has a *placeholder* in the directory tree.  You can, in Ghost 2003, use a switch to create an exact copy called a *sector-by-sector* image--but that image will then be the size of the HDD you are imaging--and not just an image of the data portion on the HDD.

But, I've never seen any reference to the settings of the system being altered by an image creation process.

Quote:
When I created the Disk Image, I saw that there was a Dell partition that I did not know existed. I wonder if this is where they store the config data and somehow this was not copied over entirely?

The *hidden* partition on the Dell is usually the *restore* partition that allows you to run a restore utility and the *original* factory fresh OS--all the programs and settings--that came from the factory can be restored--but, you loose all the data that you have created since you started using the system.

I have heard that Dell systems often have two hidden partition--one is the restore partition, and the other is a *utility* partition.  But, I do not believe any system settings for the current *in use* OS are saved to those partitions.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 20
Send Topic Print