Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 20
Send Topic Print
A Better USB 2.0 DOS Driver for Ghost + More! (Read 646414 times)
El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Re: A Better USB 2.0 DOS Driver for Ghost + More!
Reply #150 - Jan 19th, 2006 at 10:06pm

Quote:
"... Dude, if you don't do what I ask you to do, I'm am not going to waste any more time on your problem!..."

While the expression of such sentiments is commonplace throughout the rest of the cyberworld, these boards are indeed a world apart - and I, for one, find them out of place.

piikea wrote on Jan 18th, 2006 at 12:00am:
"... (BTW they were generously supplied to me by El_Pescador.)..."

Last summer, I dispatched a highly-modified set of Norton Ghost 2003 boot diskettes bearing NightOwl's Panasonic Universal USB Driver routine to assist piikea with a cranky Western Digital "purpose-built" external HDD.

Regrettably, Hurricane Katrina's floodwaters destroyed virtually everything I once owned in the way of removable magnetic, optical, and print media.  So, I have no ready way to recreate said item as I am living in a FEMA trailer while engaged in torturously renovating my home.  I do recall that the 'autoexec.bat' and 'config.sys' were rather unconventional as were those sub-directories included.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

piikea
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #151 - Jan 19th, 2006 at 11:34pm

Quote:
tbbrick: Dude, if you don't do what I ask you to do

Essentially I did....& the disk WILL get Ghost.exe up & running.
But FYI - the Ghost created 2 DISK SET - DISK 1 contains:
GHOST folder - empty
USB folder - containing aspiehcs.sys
AUTOEXEC(.bat)
COMMAND
CONFIG.SYS
guest (app)
IO.SYS
MOUSE (app)
MOUSE (config settings)
MSDOS.SYS (size: 0 bytes)

DISK 2 contains:
GHOST folder - containing ghost.exe
AUTOEXEC(.bat) - contents below:

@echo off
SET TZ=GHO+05:00
GUEST.EXE
MOUSE.COM
echo Loading...
cls

if %config% == FROMFLPY goto FLPYBOOT
if %config% == FROMCD goto CDBOOT

goto FAILED

:FLPYBOOT
echo Insert Ghost boot disk 2 (containing Ghost.exe)
pause
if exist a:\ghost\ghost.exe goto GHOSTFND
goto FLPYBOOT

:CDBOOT
pause
if not exist b:\ghost\ghost.exe goto CDBOOT
b:
goto GHOSTFND

:GHOSTFND
cd \ghost
echo Loading...
GHOST.EXE
goto END

:FAILED
echo Unknown boot menu selection
goto END

:END

Quote:
tbbrick: Once we get the ghost disk working properly, the Panasonic drivers problem might be fixed as well.

So....the Ghost disks work now but W/O working Panasonic Universal USB Driver floppy(s) Ghost is of no use because IT STILL does not recognize the ext. Western Digital HD where my Ghost images are & updated ones would go.

El_Pescador's disks PREVIOUSLY worked as that is how I got the Ghost images ONTO the ext. HD initially. WHY they do not work as they had b4 I don't know. I reluctantly tried to figure out what was wrong w/ them by reading directions of their creation at beg. of this post & thus they may have been altered but they weren't functioning as needed anyway & I had no other option.

Unfortunately Pesky was flooded out so he has WAY more problems than I at this point so I wish him good luck!!! 

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #152 - Jan 20th, 2006 at 2:11am

piikea

Post the contents of the *config.sys* file for the above Ghost created two floppy disk boot set.

And in a separate post:

1.  Post the files that are on the floppy disk provided by El_Pescador--is it a one disk or two disk set?

2.  Post the contents of the *config.sys* on the El_Pescador boot disk.

3.  Post the contents of the *autoexec.bat* on the El_Pescador boot disk.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

tbbrick
Ex Member

Reply #153 - Jan 20th, 2006 at 3:44pm

El_Pescador wrote on Jan 19th, 2006 at 10:06pm:
While the expression of such sentiments is commonplace throughout the rest of the cyberworld, these boards are indeed a world apart - and I, for one, find them out of place.
EP
Cry

Fair enough.  I suspect you will find this next question sarcastic, but it is not.  What is this board's protocol for telling someone you can't help them if they don't follow directions?   If you read my second post again, I did tell him less pointedly what I needed him to do and if he did so, it might solve both of his problems.  It wasn't until the last post that he finally got it thru his head to give me the autoexec.bat contents I asked for. 

Look, I'm all for helping people.  The Good Lord only knows how much help I've gotten online.  But, I'm not going to waste people's time by ignoring what they advise me to do and I don't want my time wasted as well.

Interesting that NightOwl asked him for more of the same type of information.  I didn't ask for as much as he's an admitted NOOB and wanted to take it one step at a time.

Quote:
Regrettably, Hurricane Katrina's floodwaters destroyed virtually everything I once owned in the way of removable magnetic, optical, and print media.  So, I have no ready way to recreate said item as I am living in a FEMA trailer while engaged in torturously renovating my home.  I do recall that the 'autoexec.bat' and 'config.sys' were rather unconventional as were those sub-directories included.
EP

Big time bummer EP.  Hope you aren't in one of those areas that may or may not be torn down if enough neighbors don't return.

tbb

IP Logged

piikea
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #154 - Jan 20th, 2006 at 3:45pm

NightOwl wrote on Jan 20th, 2006 at 2:11am:
Post the contents of the *config.sys* file for the above Ghost created two floppy disk boot set.

Ok --- *config.sys* file from Ghost created Disk 1:

[menu]
menuitem=FROMFLPY, This computer was started from a Ghost boot disk
menuitem=FROMCD, This computer was started from a Ghost bootable CD

[FROMFLPY]

[FROMCD]

[COMMON]
DEVICE = usb\aspiehci.sys /int /all
LASTDRIVE = Z

IP Logged

piikea
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #155 - Jan 20th, 2006 at 4:02pm

Quote:
It wasn't until the last post that he finally got it thru his head to give me the autoexec.bat contents I asked for.

You didn't ask me to post autoexec.bat contents in your 1st 2 replies. When you asked for it in your 3rd reply I POSTED IT.
I'm not looking to argue w/ anyone....I appreciate your replies/help....I am NOT easily offended.

IP Logged

tbbrick
Ex Member

Reply #156 - Jan 20th, 2006 at 4:36pm

piikea wrote on Jan 19th, 2006 at 11:34pm:
Essentially I did....& the disk WILL get Ghost.exe up & running.

Wrong piikea, just because you got Ghost to work, doesn't mean it's working the way EP set it up to work. 

Look at this set of commands in the autoexec.bat file:
{
cd \ghost
echo Loading...
GHOST.EXE
goto END
}

See how it says "cd \ghost"?  That's DOS telling the computer to change to the subdirectory \ghost.
Then "echo Loading..." is telling it to print "Loading..." on the screen.
Then the "GHOST.EXE " command fires off.  When it does, the "Loading..." on the screen disappears.

In short, the autoexec.bat tells the computer the right folder to get into, then the right command to execute . 

But you said, Ghost won't run unless it's on the root of the floppy, not in the ghost subdirectory.   And that Jedi Warrior is probably why it's not seeing your ext. hard drive.

That's why I (and NightOwl) needed to see the contents of the autoexec.bat.  And since you've posted the config.sys, lets look at the some it's contents:
{
[COMMON]
DEVICE = usb\aspiehci.sys /int /all
LASTDRIVE = Z
}
The "[COMMON]" tells the computer that it doesn't matter if the the user is using a CD or a floppy disk, use the following configurations. 

"DEVICE = usb\aspiehci.sys /int /all" tells it to look into the usb folder to find the right driver that will let you run your ext. hard drive in a DOS environment.

So, if the computer can't find the ghost.exe command in the ghost subdir, it makes sense that it can't find the ext. HDD driver in it's subdir as well. 

Oh, the "LASTDRIVE = Z " says the computer can assign any open letter to your ext. HDD up to the letter Z.  Esp. helpful when you have a boocoo of various drives. 

Sooo, now that I'm sure where the autoexec.bat and config.sys are looking for ghost.exe command and the aspiehci.sys driver, I suspect the boot floppy itself is messed up.

Here's my next question.  (And Dude, just be honest, OK?)  Do you know how to create a boot floopy disk?  If you do, type Yes in reply and create one, but don't do anything to it yet.

If not, type No, tell me what operating system you are using, and I'll give you the drill.

Quote:
Unfortunately Pesky was flooded out so he has WAY more problems than I at this point so I wish him good luck!!! 

Roger that Piikea!!!

tbb

IP Logged

piikea
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #157 - Jan 20th, 2006 at 4:36pm

NightOwl wrote on Jan 20th, 2006 at 2:11am:
And in a separate post:

1.  Post the files that are on the floppy disk provided by El_Pescador--is it a one disk or two disk set?

Disk 1 of 2 labeled:
PANASONICDRV1 / MS-DOS / Panasonic USB Drivers contains:
USB folder(containing aspiehcs.sys, Di1000DD.sys, Usbaspi.sys)
AUTOEXEC(.bat)
COMMAND
HIMEM.SYS
IBMBIO
IBMDOS
IO.SYS
MOUSE (app)
MOUSE (config settings)
MSDOS.SYS

Disk 2 of 2 labeled:
PANASONICDRV1 / MS-DOS / Panasonic USB Drivers contains:
GHOST folder containing ghost (app)
USB folder - empty
AUTOEXEC
CONFIG.SYS

Quote:
2.  Post the contents of the *config.sys* on the El_Pescador boot disk.

*config.sys* from disk 2 -

[menu]
menuitem=FROMFLPY, This computer was started from a Ghost boot disk
menuitem=FROMCD, This computer was started from a Ghost bootable CD

[FROMFLPY]

[FROMCD]

[COMMON]
DEVICE = himem.sys
DEVICE = usb\usbaspi.sys /v /w /e
DEVICE = usb\di1000dd.sys
DOS = high,umb
LASTDRIVE = Z

Quote:
3.  Post the contents of the *autoexec.bat* on the El_Pescador boot disk.

*autoexec.bat* from disk 2 -

@echo off
SET TZ=GHO+06:00
PATH=A:\;A:\GHOST;A:\USB
MOUSE.COM
echo Loading...
cls

if %config% == FROMFLPY goto FLPYBOOT
if %config% == FROMCD goto CDBOOT

goto FAILED

:FLPYBOOT
pause
if exist a:\ghost\ghost.exe goto GHOSTFND
goto FLPYBOOT

:CDBOOT
pause
if not exist b:\ghost\ghost.exe goto CDBOOT
b:
goto GHOSTFND

cd \ghost
echo Loading...
GHOST.EXE
goto END

:FAILED
echo Unknown boot menu selection
goto END

:END

There is an *autoexec.bat* file on disk 1 too but can ONLY open with notepad & it is a jumble of letters (probably because it's a wordpad doc) OR edit which opens a DOS window to A: prompt & "bad file or cammand".

***As I said I may have altered them reluctantly trying to "recreate" them per instructions on post pg. 1. I likely messed them up.

Thanks all for the assistance!

IP Logged

tbbrick
Ex Member

Reply #158 - Jan 20th, 2006 at 4:45pm

piikea wrote on Jan 20th, 2006 at 4:02pm:
You didn't ask me to post autoexec.bat contents in your 1st 2 replies. When you asked for it in your 3rd reply I POSTED IT.
I'm not looking to argue w/ anyone....I appreciate your replies/help....I am NOT easily offended.

Correct, I did not ask you to post the contents of your autoexec.bat, I asked you to tell me which subdir it was pointing to to find the Ghost.exe.  I asked for the autoexec.bat contents in post three because I thot you were too whatever to admit you didn't know what I was asking for.

Snip of post 1:
Using Windows Explorer, see if Ghost.exe is on the root or if it's in some subdirectory on your floppy.  Next, use notepad to open the autoexec.bat file to check the path, i.e. a:\ghostfolder\ghost.exe it's using to crank it up.  If you make any changes to it, be sure notepad saves the autoexec to .bat, not .txt extension.
End Snip

Snip of post 2:
What's bugging me is that you said you took the ghost.exe out of the ghost folder, (and put it on the floppy root Huh) rather than changing the autoexec.bat to point to it in the ghost folder.  I would suggest putting the ghost.exe back into the ghost folder.  Leave your mouse.com where it is. Then, open the autoexec.bat file with notepad and make sure the path to the ghost.exe is right (per previous example.)
End Snip

tbb

IP Logged

tbbrick
Ex Member

Reply #159 - Jan 20th, 2006 at 4:54pm

piikea wrote on Jan 20th, 2006 at 4:36pm:
There is an *autoexec.bat* file on disk 1 too but can ONLY open with notepad & it is a jumble of letters (probably because it's a wordpad doc) OR edit which opens a DOS window to A: prompt & "bad file or cammand".

***As I said I may have altered them reluctantly trying to "recreate" them per instructions on post pg. 1. I likely messed them up.

Ahhh piikea, the plot doth indeed thicken.  If you opened Disk 1's autoexec.bat with WordPad and saved, you need to come out and admit it.  Which is why I said to use Notepad in the first two posts.  When you save files in Notepad, it doesn't insert a buncha formatting crap in the files like WordPad or any other late model word processing program does.  It just saves what you wrote.

Still, let me know if you can create a boot disk or not.  And while you are at it, using Windows Explorer, make two folders on your computer's C drive called Ghost Disk 1 and Ghost Disk 2.  Copy and paste the contents of each Ghost disk in the respective C drive folder so nothing else get's messed up.  A trick I learned from a few agonies of computing defeat of my own.  Wink

IP Logged

piikea
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #160 - Jan 20th, 2006 at 5:15pm

YES - I can & have:

A working Windows Me created Windows Me boot disk as well as a Windows 98SE boot disk (supplied as part of El_Pescador's set of floppies).

Ghost asks for Windows 95/98 formatted floppies when it creates it's 2 disk set(?).

Also put copies of Ghost disks on C:\

IP Logged

tbbrick
Ex Member

Reply #161 - Jan 20th, 2006 at 6:00pm

Very good piikea!!!  Now, as much as I'm not fond of Windoze Massive Excrement, let's use it to start with.  If you get a  warning that you are going to overwrite any files in the following directions, click ok to replace the floppy files.

1. Open up Windows Explorer.
2. Insert the newly made ME boot disk in the A drive.
3. Make a folder called USB on the ME boot floppy.
4. From the C Drive Ghost Disk 1 folder, copy the contents of the USB folder (which you ID as aspiehcs.sys, Di1000DD.sys, Usbaspi.sys) into the ME boot USB folder.
5. Still in the Ghost Disk 1 folder, copy the Guest.exe, MOUSE (app) and MOUSE (config settings) to the ME boot disk.
6. Go to the Ghost Disk 2 folder and copy the good Autoexec.bat and config.sys files to the ME boot disk.
7. Shut down the computer completely.
8. While the PC is still off, plug in your ext. HDD, connect the USB cable, and power it up. 
9. Now, turn on your PC and boot from the ME boot disk. 
10. After it boots, it should ask for the disk 2, put in the original disk 2 and hit enter.
11.  Hopefully, at this point, it should automatically start Ghost and should see your ext. HDD.

Let us know how it goes.  I've got to go and won't be online tomorrow.  But I'll try to check my email Sunday and see what happened.

tbb

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #162 - Jan 20th, 2006 at 10:03pm

Quote:
"... Big time bummer EP.  Hope you aren't in one of those areas that may or may not be torn down if enough neighbors don't return..."

Fortunately, I live on the northern shore of Lake Pontchartrain and not down in Mayor Wonka's 'Chocolate City' where only yesterday did his Director of Homeland Security - City of New Orleans discover that the Big Easy had only received 1,700 FEMA travel trailers while neighboring counties in Mississippi were enjoying 31,000.  The Crescent City really should import experts skilled in misgovernance from Haiti and Somalia so as to "jump-start" the recovery effort at the local level.

Not long ago, I had the pleasure of briefly visiting with the Number Three executive of one of the most respected disaster-recovery contractors extant in the USA.  He sadly related that the rate-of-installation for the now ubiquitous FEMA travel trailers his firm is placing could be increased
twenty-fold
if only all levels of government would respectively release their strangulating "red-tape".

EP
Cry

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #163 - Jan 21st, 2006 at 12:19am

piikea

Quote:

This is the problem most likely--you have to have a *functional* *autoexec.bat* file on that first disk for booting.

Here's a simple fix--if everything else is *okay*--just delete the *autoexec.bat* that's on the first disk.  The *autoexec.bat* on the second disk should be identical to the one that was on the first disk--so just *copy* (leave the original on that second disk) the *autoexec.bat* from the second disk to the first disk.

Try booting--how did it go?

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

piikea
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #164 - Jan 21st, 2006 at 5:28pm

NightOwl wrote on Jan 21st, 2006 at 12:19am:
piikea

This is the problem most likely--you have to have a *functional* *autoexec.bat* file on that first disk for booting.

Here's a simple fix--if everything else is *okay*--just delete the *autoexec.bat* that's on the first disk.  The *autoexec.bat* on the second disk should be identical to the one that was on the first disk--so just *copy* (leave the original on that second disk) the *autoexec.bat* from the second disk to the first disk.

Try booting--how did it go?

Tried this 1st as it was simpler/faster but unfortunately it didn't get it working. Just got to a: prompt.

Maybe *autoexec.bat* on both not set up properly(?)...dunno. Seems to me whatever necessary command in whatever file that tells computer to "run/load" the drivers is not there or wrong. Only my guess based on fact that b4 I put disk in & maybe press enter & it went thru sequence - "finding drivers, etc." or something to that effect.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 20
Send Topic Print