Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Ghost 9.0 gives an error for undocumented PQI file (Read 162393 times)
Pleonasm

Re: Ghost 9.0 gives an error for undocumented PQI
Reply #15 - Apr 29th, 2005 at 9:12am

Yaby, even if you are having difficulty restoring the Ghost 9.0 image files, you may be able to mount the image as a virtual volume and then simply copy your critical data files.  To do so, open Windows Explorer, right-click on the .v2i image file, and select "Mount".  The remainder of the procedure will be self-evident.

Please post back, and let us know the results of your efforts.

IP Logged

yaby

Reply #16 - Apr 30th, 2005 at 2:42am

dear pleonasm,

thanks for the suggestion!  i tried mounting the v2i as a virtual drive but it gave the same error: EA39070A: The internal structure of the PQI file is invalid or unsupported.

though i have to say that this attempt did give me a glimps of hope!  i'm willing to try anything.

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #17 - Apr 30th, 2005 at 2:13pm

Yaby, some suggestions:

(1) Invoke the Recovery Environment (see Ghost 9.0 User’s Guide, pages 57+), and start the Backup Image Browser.  This tool will allow you to select those folders/files that you wish to restore.  I also recommend that you run the “verify backup image” option from within the Backup Image Browser, to check that your .v2i files are not corrupt.

(2) If you have not already attempted to do so, see pages 72+ in the Ghost 9.0 User’s Guide for instructions on how to restore a drive from within the Recovery Environment.

Please let us know what happens.

Best wishes,
Pleonasm

IP Logged

yaby
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #18 - May 1st, 2005 at 3:11pm

error message “internal PQI file invalid or format not supported” even in recovery environment.

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #19 - May 1st, 2005 at 7:37pm

Yaby, did you run the “verify backup image” option from within the Backup Image Browser, to check that your .v2i files are not corrupt?  What was the result?

IP Logged

yaby
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #20 - May 2nd, 2005 at 1:11am

the error message appears when i try to load the image file, so the "verify backup image" was a greyed out option.

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #21 - May 2nd, 2005 at 9:42am

Yaby, I admit that it is not likely, but here's one additional option to explore.  Do you have a friend or neighbor (or know an associate in a retail computer store) who is running Ghost 9.0?  If so, you could copy your .v2i file(s) to a DVD disc, transport them to that second PC with Ghost 9.0, and invoke the Backup Image Browser.  If you still get the same error, then - unfortunately - I would assume that the .v2i file(s) are corrupted.  This test would eliminate the possibility that the source of the difficulty is somehow related to your specific installation of Ghost 9.0.

Finally, I do not know if such a tool exists, but you could query Symantec to see if they have a (or could recommend a third-party) low-level utility to scan and recover files from within a .v2i image.

By the way, did you perform an integrity check on the .v2i image after you created it?

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #22 - May 2nd, 2005 at 1:36pm

Yaby, I had another thought that you could explore as way to retrieve some of your files:  the use of a file recovery utility.  Some of the better known tools in this category include EasyRecovery (by OnTrack) and Undelete 5 (by Executive Software).

Let me tell you a true story.  Several years ago – believe it or not – I crushed my company-owned PC laptop by literally driving over it with my car in the parking lot (don’t even ask how this happened).  I returned the damaged PC to our internal information technology department, and requested that they recover as many files as possible.  And then a bad situation became even worse.  They removed the hard drive, and instead of attempting to retrieve files, they reformatted the drive!  For good measure, they then installed the operating system (Windows) and all standard company applications (e.g., Microsoft Word, etc.).

Even after all of these disasters – running over the PC with a car, reformatting the drive, and reinstalling the operating system and applications – the use of a file recovery utility (OnTrack) was able to retrieve the majority of files that were more recent than my last backup.  You might be equally lucky.

It’s common knowledge that deleting a file does not remove it from the drive.  But as my story illustrates, it’s not easy to truly erase a file.  For this purpose, I use CyberScrub Privacy Suite 4.0 (www.cyberscrub.com).

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #23 - May 3rd, 2005 at 2:25pm

Symantec has an interesting Knowledge Base article posted on the Ghost 9.0 subject "The internal structure of the PQI file is invalid or not supported.”

To avoid this error, the article recommends:
  • Storing image files on an NTFS partition is preferred
  • If writing the image directly to a CD/DVD disc, verify the image after (not during) creation
  • The Sonic DLA tool may interfere with a restore operation
  • If restoring from a CD/DVD drive, a read-only drive may be preferable

IP Logged

remer

Reply #24 - May 5th, 2005 at 10:00am

I have Ghost 9.0, and when I try to restore a drive by booting from the cd, I get the PQI error. Here is what I got going on.
Disk 0: Drive C - OS, Drive D - Pagefile, Drive E - Misc Files
Disk 1: Drive E - Old OS, Drive F - Old PageFile, Drive H - Ghost Backup Images

I had a pretty bad HD crash on C while installing new hardware. Everytime Windows tried booting, whether safe mode or normal, blue screen. I put in the XP cd to try to do a repair, and it didn't detect any previous installation of Windows. I went into recovery console, and the directory structure was still intact. I figured I wouldjust restore the image from my H drive. Booted from the Ghost cd, and did the following things:
1. Check disk for errors
2. From image browser, verified backup image (said it was OK)
3. Attempted to restore c drive
Halfway through the restore, I got the PQI error. I tried going back into image broswer, and it no longer sees the C drive. I restarted, booted from CD, went back into image browser, and it sees the C drive again. So I just copied files from image browser to C and restarted. Blue screen every which way you twist it. I know I can just wipe the C drive clean and re-install xp. I called symantec support, and the english I could understand from the guy wasn't very helpful.

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #25 - May 5th, 2005 at 2:28pm

Remer, I found some discussion on the web that the occurrence of the error ("The internal structure of the PQI file is invalid or not supported") may be hardware related – specifically, it may occur on PCs with the Intel D865 motherboard.  What does your PC have installed?

On the same theme, a Symantec Knowledge Base article says:  “The image file may be fine, but there may be a conflict with spyware detection software (such as Pest Control or Spybot), which may be either causing the image file to appear to be corrupted or causing the corruption.”  I do not believe this is the situation in your case; but I’m adding the comment to this thread since it may benefit others.

P.S.:  Did Symantec make you pay a fee for their unhelpful telephone support?

IP Logged

remer

Reply #26 - May 5th, 2005 at 3:29pm

pleo,
All I was charged for the phone support was the airtime on my cell phone, and since I have free nights, it was a free call. However, for most, it would be on the phone bill as a long distance call. My hardware is as follows:
ECS A939 mobo
Athlon 64 3000+
1GB Kingmax pc3200
ATA 100 160GB western digital hd
SATA 160 GB Maxtor hd
Chaintech 6600GT PCI-E
Audigy 2 ZS sound card

When I get this error it's while i'm booted in the Symantec recovery nonsense, so there is no other software running at the time.

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #27 - May 5th, 2005 at 5:41pm

Some Ghost 9.0 users have reported the PQI problem when using SATA disk hardware.

Could you split the image file into segments, copy these to DVD discs, and then try restoring from the discs (see pages 48-51 in the Norton Ghost 9.0 User’s Guide)?  If the SATA 160 GB Maxtor disk drive is the problem, then this approach might circumvent the root cause.

IP Logged

remer

Reply #28 - May 6th, 2005 at 9:18am

The SATA drive is the drive I'm trying to restore to. I installed a fresh copy of XP last night, and I went through the whole routine of reinstalling drivers and software.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #29 - May 6th, 2005 at 11:16am

remer, I realize this is past history but did you attempt more than one restore and if so did you get the same error message each time?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print