Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Big problem, advice needed. (Read 59558 times)
Mr Moose
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Wisconsin

Re: Big problem, advice needed.
Reply #15 - Jul 22nd, 2010 at 11:49am

Hi Brian,

I've have BING on my flash stick (this time the zip file was extracted to its own folder) that was the problem last night.
In regards to the two partitions, I'm not clear as to how there created, is this done with BING or Ghost 15?
Up until now using Ghost I've always recovered to unallocated space.
After everything is finished, my next task will be setting up the Ghost 15 scheduled backup. Is there anything I need to know before I create the backup now that I'm using BING?
I've read that some third party boot loaders can be problematic when it comes making images.

Thanks, Bill.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #16 - Jul 22nd, 2010 at 3:56pm

Bill,

That's fine. I suggest creating a BING CD too. Sometimes you can't install BING from a USB flash drive. This happens if your BIOS sees the flash drive as a hard drive.

Mr Moose wrote on Jul 22nd, 2010 at 11:49am:
Up until now using Ghost I've always recovered to unallocated space. 

We can do that. Just so I'm clear on this, you will be restoring to your 1 TB HD?
Which XP recovery point will you be using? One before or after setting up the dual boot?
The Win7 recovery point was created from the cloned HD?
Is Ghost 15 installed in XP or Win7?
Where are your recovery points stored? An internal or external HD?

Mr Moose wrote on Jul 22nd, 2010 at 11:49am:
I've read that some third party boot loaders can be problematic when it comes making images.

As long as you don't unlimit primaries with BING (you won't) Ghost 15 should work well.

IP Logged

Mr Moose
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Wisconsin

Reply #17 - Jul 22nd, 2010 at 4:32pm

Hi Brian,

Yes, I planned on making a disc for BING per your instructions.
The recovery points are on two different external drives.
I will be using the 1 TB drive that still has both OS's on it, but they won't boot.
Can they/should they/ be
formatted first?
I plan to recover the older XP the one before the dual boot.
The recovery point for Win 7 was taken from the clone.
Ghost 14 installed on Xp.
Ghost 15 installed on Win 7.

Bill.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #18 - Jul 22nd, 2010 at 5:32pm

Bill,

It doesn't matter if you leave the partitions on the 1 TB HD or delete them. You will get the same result. I'd leave them and restore the XP recovery point into the XP partition, etc.

After you have restored both OS (don't try to boot either) I'd like you to boot from the BING CD but don't install BING. To do this, boot from the CD and on the Setup screen click Cancel. Don't click OK. Then click OK on the Notice screen. You can practice this on your current system if you like. Then click Partition Work. You will see your HD 0 partitions. Let me know in detail what you see in the Partitions area. I'm interested to know if there is any Free Space and how the partitions are recorded.

IP Logged

Mr Moose
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Wisconsin

Reply #19 - Jul 22nd, 2010 at 7:37pm

Brian wrote on Jul 22nd, 2010 at 5:32pm:
Bill,

It doesn't matter if you leave the partitions on the 1 TB HD or delete them. You will get the same result. I'd leave them and restore the XP recovery point into the XP partition, etc.

After you have restored both OS (don't try to boot either) I'd like you to boot from the BING CD but don't install BING. To do this, boot from the CD and on the Setup screen click Cancel. Don't click OK. Then click OK on the Notice screen. You can practice this on your current system if you like. Then click Partition Work. You will see your HD 0 partitions. Let me know in detail what you see in the Partitions area. I'm interested to know if there is any Free Space and how the partitions are recorded.

Hi Brian,

This is quite diiffernt from what wrote below last night.

Your original HD has been formatted in a USB enclosure. This is the HD that had the dual boot. Install it in your computer as the only HD. No external HDs attached either. Boot from the BING CD and delete any partitions on the HD. You want it 100% Free Space. Next, boot from the Ghost 15 CD and restore the two recovery points. They will take up the same space as the original partitions. Finally, install BING and set up the Boot Items. If there is no unallocated free space after restoring both OS, simply resize Win7 8 MB smaller to create a space for BING.

OK, the part about no other hard drives plugged in, but my recovery points are on external HD's.
Also, the part about 100% free space on the ! TB drive.
In your last post are we now  switching from the post yesterdays  directions?
I just want to be clear as I printed out the instructions from last night.

Thanks,Bill.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #20 - Jul 22nd, 2010 at 8:15pm

Bill,

Sorry that I haven't been consistent. It makes no difference whether you delete the partitions or leave them. It is one less step if you leave them. Your choice. I'd leave them.

Yes, you can attach the USB external HDs before booting from the Ghost CD or wait until the Ghost recovery environment has loaded. I assume you have USB2 and it will work either way. The reason I suggested having no external HDs connected was that if you were deleting partitions in BING, I didn't want you to mistakenly delete a partition on an external HD.

Thanks for keeping me on my toes.

IP Logged

Mr Moose
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Wisconsin

Reply #21 - Jul 22nd, 2010 at 8:58pm

Brian,

OK, were on the same page now.
I'm not going to be able to do this tonight. Hopefully I will have the results your looking for later tomorrow afternoon, if not, Saturday.
I hope wrap this up over the weekend.
Is the forum active on the weekend?
Wouldn't you know, the night I want to fix my PC, we've had thunderstorms, tornado's, yes, tornado's, there was one just out side of town, and many more throughout the county.
I'm in southern Wisconsin.
Again thanks for the help.
Bill.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #22 - Jul 22nd, 2010 at 9:25pm

See you at the weekend. I just want to make sure BING is set up correctly before you boot an OS. After you install BING to the HD, it will open with a Boot Menu that should have WinXP and Win7 items. But it will need a minor cleanup before you use those items. Clicking Maintenance takes you to the BING desktop. Note, when you boot from the BING CD you will not see a Boot Menu.

I know it sounds confusing but after a few views of BING you will almost feel at home. I'll give you further instructions before you install BING to the HD.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #23 - Jul 23rd, 2010 at 3:26am

Dan Goodell wrote on Jul 21st, 2010 at 8:15pm:
But it seems Win7 doesn't know what to do when it encounters a completely zeroed DiskID, so I've resorted to using SecEdit or the PTS tool to alter the DiskID randomly instead of completely zeroing it.

Dan,

I followed up on your observation and used Edit Sig in BING instead of Clear Sig. I used a Disk Signature of 74696873 as it creates an interesting entry in LBA-0. I still had to do a BCD Edit before Win7 would boot. The BCD fields are cleared in BING when you do Clear Sig or Edit Sig.

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #24 - Jul 23rd, 2010 at 8:09am

Brian wrote on Jul 23rd, 2010 at 3:26am:
...a Disk Signature of 74696873 as it creates an interesting entry in LBA-0...
ahem... not something recommended if you're working on a friend's or client's machine.  Wink

Brian wrote on Jul 23rd, 2010 at 3:26am:
I followed up on your observation and used Edit Sig in BING instead of Clear Sig. I still had to do a BCD Edit before Win7 would boot. The BCD fields are cleared in BING when you do Clear Sig or Edit Sig.

"The BCD fields are cleared" ... Aha, I hadn't noticed that before.  That must have been what I was encountering when I was exploring this back around the end of last year.  It would POST, go to the hard drive to begin booting, and immediately recycle back to POST, over and over.

You must have the "HD0/MBR0" type of BCD entries?  Mine are set to {boot}.  I see them get cleared if they were the "HD" type, but my {boot} entries don't get cleared by a ClearSig.  The result seems to be that a combination of ClearSig with {boot} type BCD entries behaves just like XP--Win7 boots and rebuilds a new DiskID, without requiring a BCD edit.

IP Logged

Mr Moose
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Wisconsin

Reply #25 - Jul 23rd, 2010 at 4:15pm

Hi Brian,

OK, so far everything has gone as planned.
Here's the info.

Hard drives: HD_0 (the underscore should be under the zero)

Partitions:
MBR Entry 0             
Partitions MB 152532 HPFS/NTFS

Partitions:
MBR Entry 1
Partitions MB 152626 HPFS/NTFS

Partitions:

Partitions: 648710 MB Free space

That's all of it.
Awaiting further instructions.

Bill.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #26 - Jul 23rd, 2010 at 4:42pm

Bill,

Looks good. BING will install in the last 8 MB of the Free Space. Install BING..

To install BING, boot from the CD...

click OK to install
No on the enable support for more than 4 primary partitions
Yes for setup to choose
Yes for dedicated  partition
OK to begin
Yes to create EMBR
OK. Close. OK.

When the computer reboots you will be at the Boot Menu. Click Maintenance to get to the BING desktop.

Click Partition Work. Select MBR Entry 0 and click Properties. Change the Name to WinXP. OK. Select MBR Entry 1 and click Properties. Change the Name to Win7. OK. Close from Partition Work.

Click Boot Edit to setup the Menu Items. Select each OS in turn and click Edit. Remember to Hide each OS from the other. In the MBR Details section of Boot Edit click Hide next to the OS you want hidden. You can change the Identity name if you like. When you boot into Win7, WinXP will not have a drive letter. When you boot into Win7, WinXP will not have a drive letter.

OK. Boot each OS.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #27 - Jul 23rd, 2010 at 5:00pm

I wouldn't be surprised if Win7 didn't boot on the first attempt. If not, do a BCD Edit from BING.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=318

I'll be away for a few hours. I'm looking forward to good news.

IP Logged

Mr Moose
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Wisconsin

Reply #28 - Jul 23rd, 2010 at 5:14pm

Brian,

I won't be able to finish this until tomorrow afternoon, I'll post the results when its all complete.

Thanks, Bill.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #29 - Jul 23rd, 2010 at 10:45pm

Dan Goodell wrote on Jul 23rd, 2010 at 8:09am:
You must have the "HD0/MBR0" type of BCD entries?Mine are set to {boot}.I see them get cleared if they were the "HD" type, but my {boot} entries don't get cleared by a ClearSig.

I just tried your {boot} entries and a Clear Sig. Win7 does boot without needing a BCD Edit. Nice to know.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print