Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Ghost 11.5 ISO and Windows 10 (Read 56375 times)
bruce_b
Dude

I Love Radified!

Apex, North Carolina

Ghost 11.5 ISO and Windows 10
Jul 20th, 2017 at 10:55am

I made the cd from the ISO of Ghost 11.5 and my question is this: Since this runs Ghost directly from the CD will this create or be able to restore an image of a Windows 10 64 computer ? I have my hard drive set as NTFS and Secure Boot is disabled .. Has anyone been able to test this ? ? Thank you

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Ghost 11.5 ISO and Windows 10
Reply #1 - Jul 20th, 2017 at 5:02pm

@
bruce_b

We partly discussed Ghost 11.5 in one of your previous threads. Does the CD boot in your computer? Is your Win10 installed in Legacy or UEFI mode? Can you tell us which partitions are present in Disk Management? This will help in knowing whether Ghost will work.

IP Logged

bruce_b
Dude

I Love Radified!

Apex, North Carolina

Reply #2 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 2:43pm

Brian ---  Have not yet tried it on the Toshiba C855-S5347 .. also not quite sure if we are in UEFI or Legacy mode ... Tried the CD on my Dell 8200 and it boots fine, but it will not see my Logitech Wireless USB Mouse or the Dell USB Keyboard

Also for some reason, I did not get a notification from your forum, even though I asked it to do so. Will recheck my profile. -- Found an option to notify of responses was not enabled .. Also attached a pix of the disk management screen from the Toshiba Win 10

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 4:15pm

Bruce,

Great screenshot. That partition layout indicates the OS in installed in UEFI mode. Ghost 11.5 doesn't support GPT disks and while it appears to backup the disk, the restored image isn't bootable.

Regarding Secure Boot. Why it it disabled? It protects against the current ransomware.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #4 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 6:24pm

Bruce,

In your screenshot the 9.35 GB rectangle is the fifth rectangle but in the text at the top it shows as Disk 0 partition 6. This is because Disk Management does not show the Microsoft Reserved Partition which is positioned after the EFI System Partition.

You have several Recovery partitions. To determine the one in use run this from an Admin Command Prompt...

reagentc /info

On the Windows RE location: line, what is the partition number?

IP Logged

bruce_b
Dude

I Love Radified!

Apex, North Carolina

Reply #5 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 8:00am

Here is what your command returned:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.15063]
(c) 2017 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>reagentc /info
Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE) and system reset configuration
Information:

Windows RE status:         Enabled
    Windows RE location:       \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition5\Recovery\WindowsRE
    Boot Configuration Data (BCD) identifier: 858f2308-3527-11e2-be71-20689dd6ae64
    Recovery image location:   \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition6\Recovery
    Recovery image index:      1
    Custom image location:
    Custom image index:        0

REAGENTC.EXE: Operation Successful.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

Note: This laptop originally came with Windows 8 and was then upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade provided by Microsoft. Personally, I do not delete system partitions unless I absolutely need to and I am sure it will not mess something up.

As to secure boot, I personally do not like it or think it is needed. Same for UEFI unless your primary drive is like larger than 3GB ... For my needs standard boot and NTFS are just fine

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #6 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 4:27pm

Bruce,

Thanks. Your Recovery partition is the 819 MB one. Partition 1 is redundant. If you ever need extra space for your OS partition you could delete Partition 6 and add that space to the OS partition. But have the system imaged just in case you make a mistake. Which imaging software will you use for this UEFI system?

You have a GPT disk, not a MBR disk. Your OS is installed in UEFI mode. It boots in UEFI mode whether Secure Boot is on or off. If by standard boot you mean MBR, you don't have it. Secure Boot prevents unauthorized boot code from running. For example, some of the recent Ransomware malware.

IP Logged

bruce_b
Dude

I Love Radified!

Apex, North Carolina

Reply #7 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 4:32pm

Brian, No intention of deleting any partitions at this time.
As to imaging software not sure yet what to attempt to use on the Toshiba laptop. I do have the Ghost 15 SSR files, not sure if it needs a license code or not or if it will work properly in Windows 10 .. worst case would be Acronis Tru Image which is said to work with Win 10

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #8 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 4:38pm

Bruce,

Ghost 15 doesn't work on Win10. SSR 2016 works but I'm not sure about SSR 2013. Acronis TI works but it has the worst reputation of all imaging apps. Buggy.

Do you prefer online or offline imaging? How often would you image?

IP Logged

bruce_b
Dude

I Love Radified!

Apex, North Carolina

Reply #9 - Jul 23rd, 2017 at 7:53am

I prefer imaging with no programs running, like how the original version of Ghost worked. It booted back to PC-DOS or in some cases, MS-DOS and then made the image. As to how often, I usually make an new image when a major change has been done. Say Windows 10 updates to a newer version, or lots of new programs have been added or updated. So maybe every couple of months or so. Data files I copy to another location now and then.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #10 - Jul 23rd, 2017 at 5:00pm

Bruce,

Then I suggest you trial Image for Linux. GUI version. It works with Linux and Windows OS.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-linux.htm

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/index.htm

It's fast, reliable and is updated about five times per year. Licensed for 5 home computers.

Initially, I'd use Simple Operations mode. Three clicks to backup and three clicks to restore.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #11 - Jul 23rd, 2017 at 8:28pm

IFL instructions for Simple Operations Mode

Download and unzip the Trial file
double click makedisk.exe
Simple - Allow program to control most options
I accept
Choose your UFD or Optical drive (drive letters)

Boot UFD or CD
Backup this computer to an alternative drive
Choose the Source drive
Choose the Target drive
Choose the partition on the Target drive
Start

For the second and subsequent backups
Boot UFD or CD
Backup this computer to an alternative drive
Choose the Source drive
Start

It doesn't get any easier than Simple Operations Mode.

IP Logged

OldCasper
Technoluster

I Love Ghost!

Florida, USA

Reply #12 - Jul 24th, 2017 at 2:50pm

I've been using Ghost in one version or another to backup and/or clone hard drives since 1997.

Today, have Ghost 11.5 (DOS Version) on both CD's and Flash Drives. 
I use it to back up everything, from XP to Win-10 Pro/64.  It doesn't seem to care what the OS is.
My software guru says he uses it to back up his Linux Server.

Sometimes booting into Ghost from a Flash Drive works better than booting from a CD, and vise versa.
So I keep both media handy.

I never cease to be amazed at how old things work better than newer things.... backup programs included.

Cheers Mates.  It's nice to see that some folks still use Ghost.

Casper  Cool

A man with experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #13 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 3:03am

OldCasper wrote on Jul 24th, 2017 at 2:50pm:
I never cease to be amazed at how old things work better than newer things

Have you tried Ghost 11.5 (DOS Version) with a UEFI system?

IP Logged

bruce_b
Dude

I Love Radified!

Apex, North Carolina

Reply #14 - Jul 27th, 2017 at 3:15pm

That would be good if OldCasper can tell us if Ghost 11.5 will work with the Windows 10 Creators update and UEFI type BIOS ... Just because it creates an image, does not mean you can restore it. The UEFI BIOS might stop you. But I suppose you could always boot into the BIOS and change it to Legacy to do the image restoral and then change it back after it works.
Note: Ghost 11.5 does not support a USB Keyboard or Wireless USB Mouse (at least not on my Dell Dimension 8200) not sure how to get around that except to have old style keyboard and mouse around.

Also a note to forum admins: I still do not get email notifications of replies and all the options in my profile are correctly set. Please check this. Thank you

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print