Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Ghost 11.5 ISO and Windows 10 (Read 57239 times)
OldCasper
Technoluster

I Love Ghost!

Florida, USA

Re: Ghost 11.5 ISO and Windows 10
Reply #45 - Apr 6th, 2023 at 6:17pm

Update:
It's now April of 2023, and I'm still using Ghost to do my weekly backups, on all my Windows 11 PC's.

With a few improvements, it still works as good as the first time I tried it back in 1997, when I worked in a small PC shop, where we used Ghost on a 3.5" floppy disk to clone small and slow HD's to larger and faster HD's.  Cloning, is the first thing I ever did with Ghost.

On most of the computer forums, Macrium Reflect is just about the only program mentioned in regards to backing up hard drives.  But people seem to be having all sorts of problems with that program.
Anytime I mention Ghost, and how simple it is, I get Booed Down by the MR fanboys.

So, they just keep having their problems and I keep having my success.

Ain't life great?

Casper  Cool

A man with experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #46 - Apr 7th, 2023 at 1:39am

OldCasper,

Thanks for the update!

I myself abandonded Ghost a few years ago and started using TeraByte Image for Linux. It's operating system is Linux but it works fine on Windows installations.

Last week, I had a SSD-crash on my LapTop. Disconnected from the internet, I restored my clone (disk-to-disk) to the new SSD and was up and running within a couple of hours. The backup had been created in 2019 (version 1909 if memory serves me). I had the update to 22H2 downloaded as a preparation and it  updated the computer to current without a hitch. When I connected to the internet, a few other updates were automatically downloaded and I also had to update a few installed programs.

I don't understand all that nonsense about having to be fully updated to go from one version (in this case 1909) to the next. I took a shortcut to 22H2 and I believe that staying disconnected from the internet when doing the job is the key. Microsoft has no chance interfering ...  Roll Eyes ... until the deed is done.

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

OldCasper
Technoluster

I Love Ghost!

Florida, USA

Reply #47 - Jul 10th, 2023 at 12:51pm

It's been years now, since I've had to rely on a Ghost Restore to save my bacon.

Maybe, more out of habit than necessity, I still back up my Win-11/Pro/64 22H2 with Ghost 11.5 run from a bootable Flash Drive, at least once a week.

I don't keep my data files on my C: drive, so if Windows crashes, no data will be lost, as I do a Clean re-install.

Every day as I read the Windows 11 forum, someone will complain about one of the currently popular backup programs, and I just chuckle to myself, in the knowledge that my old Ghost 11.5 just WORKS every  time. 

It seems like the newer programs just have too many settings, options and 'Gadgets'.  And they fail!

It's all together possible that the saving grace of Ghost, is its pure Simplicity.
Just like the cars of today, , , too many gadgets! Angry

Cheers Mate!
Old Casper  Cool

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #48 - Jul 12th, 2023 at 4:42am

I relied on NG 2003 from a bootable floppy. It worked well until I went from WXP via W7 to W10. Then I went to Terabyte, Image for Linux, from a bootable USB-stick and do basic backups. No incremental or other funny stuff. It too works well.

I will stay away from W11 as long as possible. Never even seen it installed on a computer.

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #49 - Jul 29th, 2023 at 2:50am

I've been using Win11 for almost 2 years. It's fine and maybe a touch faster than Win10.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #50 - Jul 30th, 2023 at 1:39am

My current hardware "doesn't meet the requirements" (or how it's said in english) for installing W11. Maybe, sooner or later, will I build a new computer but until then ...  Huh ... W10 will have to be good enough.

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #51 - Jul 30th, 2023 at 2:10am

I have computers with no TPM, no Secure Boot and third generation Intel CPUs running Win11. You can use Rufus to make a UFD that bypasses the Microsoft "requirements".

But you certainly need Win11 on a SSD. It's a slow disaster on a HD.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #52 - Jul 30th, 2023 at 2:54am

This is the Rufus message to bypass Microsoft requirements...

ccc.jpg (65 KB | 37 )
ccc.jpg

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #53 - Jul 31st, 2023 at 2:19am

Interesting, thanks for the heads up! I do however have other issues to sort out first. I'll get back in a new thread.

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

OldCasper
Technoluster

I Love Ghost!

Florida, USA

Reply #54 - Sep 16th, 2023 at 4:27pm

"... W10 will have to be good enough. "

Christer, WHY?

I've given my own Three Step Program for installing Windows 11, on several other forums, Including two Windows 11 forums.

OH, before I do that, just let me say that I'm still backing up my Windows 11 PC's, using Ghost 11.5 on a Bootable Flash Drive.  It just works without error, as long as the drive being used is also free of errors.

To install Windows 11, to any PC.

1. Download the Windows 11 ISO, from any relyable source, and also download Rufus.
2. Using Rufus, burn the ISO to a Flash Drive of sufficient size. *
3. Use the Flash drive to boot up your PC and install Windows 11.

* Rufus will offer you a menu of options, before it burns the ISO to a Flash Drive.
....Take ALL the OPTIONS!

Three simple steps, and the job is done.  I've used the same process to install Windows 11 almost 20 times now.  But, now, I only have to do #3 above, However I do have several versions of Win-11 on Flash Drives now, going back a year.

** One caveat with Win-11, , , it's a 64 bit OS and there is NO 32 bit version.
So, any PC that's going to run Win-11, must be fully 64 bit capable.
I have two PC's that claim to be 64 bit capable, but won't run Win-11/pro/64.
If you need a recent OS to run on a 32 bit cpu, Windows 10/Pro/32 is a really great choice.
I have it, I run it, and I love it! Wink

Cheers Mates!
Cool

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #55 - Sep 20th, 2023 at 1:42am

OldCasper,
thanks for your input!

I've read a few "work-arounds" but have other issues too.

From time to time, the computer blue-screens when it gets started. It can happen at every start for a month or several months (MS updates have occurred) which results in me leaving it running. Currently, it has been shut down every evening and started every morning for several weeks/months without blue-screening. Prime suspect is the SSD and read-/write-errors.

The hardware is more than ten years old but I don't need a better computer. Also, I have a full MS Office suite which will not install on the newer hardware/OS (I think). That's a few of the reasons for me not getting my thumbs out, installing W11 on the current hardware or building a new one.

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

OldCasper
Technoluster

I Love Ghost!

Florida, USA

Reply #56 - Sep 20th, 2023 at 12:32pm

Blue Screens are Windows crying out for HELP!

Just what that HELP would entail very detailed inspection of your PC.
I can't do that from here.

But there are a few things that you could do:  Like, minimize the number of things you have running on your PC.  I would go into the Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del) and end any program that is running, that you don't absolutely HAVE to have running. 

Is your PC a Desktop or Laptop?

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #57 - Sep 21st, 2023 at 2:17am

The PC is a DeskTop with "nothing" running from startup.

When it does, it blue-screens within the first minute to a few minutes from pressing the start-button.

I can hear the processor working and have suspected Windows Update or Microsoft AntiVirus quick search being the culprit.

It also happens that the sceen feezes. I can't tell if the keyboard is working and on all occasions (blue-sceen or freezed), hitting the reset-button or powering down is the way out.

Currently, it has not blue-screened for several weeks but I'm still waiting ... Roll Eyes ... !

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

OldCasper
Technoluster

I Love Ghost!

Florida, USA

Reply #58 - Sep 21st, 2023 at 5:57pm

Well, so it's not an every day thing?
You still have some things running that I certainly would not.
Microsoft Updates for one! 

When I install Windows 11, I let it get its first updates, which usually include some badly needed hardware drivers, then with all the drivers installed, I turn Updates OFF.

The easiest way to turn updates OFF, is to just download and run "StopUpdates10" from this link.
https://greatis.com/stopupdates10/download.htm

You can also use it to turn Updates back ON again, if you ever need to.

Good luck,
Cool

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #59 - Sep 22nd, 2023 at 1:32am

Quote:
Well, so it's not an every day thing?

No, it comes and goes.

Quote:
The easiest way to turn updates OFF, is to just download and run "StopUpdates10" from this link.

Are You telling me that You never ever let any updates get installed?

Quote:
Good luck

Thanks  Smiley

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print