Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Can lost Network Neighbourhood be retrieved? (Read 28743 times)
Harold
Radmeister

Rochester, NY

Can lost Network Neighbourhood be retrieved?
Jun 10th, 2005 at 1:24pm

On my Win98 desktop, Network Neighbourhood is completely missing as far as I have been able to tell. Without it, I can't share files and a printer over the network between the desktop and my wireless XP laptop. My network consists of a router/access point to which the desktop is wired by an Ethernet card and cable. The laptop has a wireless card. Both computers can successfully access the Internet via the router/access point, which is wired to a cable modem, but neither can see files on the other one, and the laptop can't print to the printer that is wired to the desktop. Does anyone know a way to retrieve Network Neighbourhood or know of a workaround for this situation?

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: Can lost Network Neighbourhood be retrieved?
Reply #1 - Jun 10th, 2005 at 9:18pm

Harold

Any reason you know of as to why the 'Network Neighborhood' system folder has gone 'missing'--something you did--or some other program did for you--or some other member of the family 'did' behind your back'?

You should be able to 'share' folders and printers without 'Network Neighborhood' being present.  In Win98 you have to have printer and file sharing set up in 'Control Panel>>Network'.  Here's how my 'Network' looks after clicking on the Control Panel 'Network' icon:

Are you using any software firewalls, like ZoneAlarm?  You may have to configure that to allow each computer to see the other--and you may have to have either drives or folders set to share for something to be 'seen' by the other computer.

Here's a doc that you can either download or open that has an outline of several things to try:

How To Restore Missing Network Neighborhood Icon

You may be able to restore the 'Network Neighborhood' desktop folder using TweakUI v1.33 for Win98--download available here:

Download TweakUI

You may want to check your registry setting--this talks about 'hiding' the icon, but also show the setting for not hiding it as well:

Hide the Network Neighborhood Icon (All Windows) Popular

Let us know what the results are...

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Harold
Radmeister

Rochester, NY

Reply #2 - Jun 11th, 2005 at 2:19pm

NightOwl,

Back when I got my Win 98 desktop, it was not part of any network and I thought it never would be. I had trouble connecting to the Internet and I became convinced that Network Neighborhood had something to do with it. I tried to get rid of it and found someone on the Web who helped me do it. After that, Internet connection indeed seemed far less complicated and I was happy not to have that icon on the desktop. That is, up until I got my wireless XP laptop and began to have ambitions about sharing files between the two computers and sharing a printer that is wired to the desktop. So I get a wireless router/access point and set up a little network. Shared Internet connections for browsing and e-mail worked fine from the start, but no Wizard or network troubleshooter has been able to get file and printer sharing to work. I keep seeing everywhere messages saying that a network cable is unplugged but doubt if that could be the case, since the Internet connection works.

Thanks very much for the information, instuctions and links in your reply. You have raised my hopes after months of discouragement. I will start working through your suggestions and report what happens.

IP Logged

Harold
Radmeister

Rochester, NY

Reply #3 - Jun 11th, 2005 at 9:57pm

NightOwl,

I went to the link you gave me: "How to restore missing NN ... etc." and in following the third step involving editing the registry, found that in my desktop registry the key ending with "\NoNetHood"  was indeed present. I deleted it as instructed, closed the registry (carefully) and returned to the desktop. However, the Network Neighborhood icon did not reappear on the desktop, even after rebooting. I'm hopeful that this is the first step in getting NN back, but I think there is something more yet to be done. Perhaps there is some other  place to look for it or something else that has to be done to complete the restoration.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #4 - Jun 11th, 2005 at 11:03pm

Harold

I would try the TweakUI program to bring back the 'Network Neighborhood'.

Alternatively, this article suggests un-installing 'Client for Microsoft Networks' and then reinstalling it to re-establish the 'Network Neighborhood':

How can the Windows Network Neighborhood icon be restored if it is missing?

(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Harold
Radmeister

Rochester, NY

Reply #5 - Jun 12th, 2005 at 9:52pm

NightOwl,

I uninstalled and reinstalled 'Client for Microsoft Networks' and went through the 'Tweak UI' procedure, but without success in getting Network Neighbourhood to reappear. Also checked the registry to make sure that I had successfully gotten rid of the 'NoNetHood' key in 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\ Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoNetHood'. It is gone.

From your first message: "You should be able to 'share' folders and printers without 'Network Neighborhood' being present.  In Win98 you have to have printer and file sharing set up in 'Control Panel>>Network'.  Here's how my 'Network' looks after clicking on the Control Panel 'Network' icon:"

I made my 'Network' settings the same as yours.

Perhaps after doing these things I should now go through the networking wizard again to see if anything has changed. I'll do that later tonight and let you know how it comes out. 

IP Logged

Harold
Radmeister

Rochester, NY

Reply #6 - Jun 14th, 2005 at 10:36am

NightOwl,

I went through Network Wizard again on my laptop after first checking settings on both computers for Network Client, TSP/IP protocol, services (file and printer sharing) and making sure computer and network names were consistent in both computers. In the wizard, I still see the message that the desktop connection to the network is unplugged and sharing does not happen. I think the "unplugged cable" may be referring to the missing Network Neighbourhood because nothing is physically unplugged. You mentioned that networking can be done on a Win 98 computer without Network Neighbourhood. Maybe it's time to explore that possibility. Can you point me in that direction?

Harold

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #7 - Jun 14th, 2005 at 10:02pm

Harold

You have a router.  Your Win98 desktop is able to connect to the internet fine, but 'Network Neighborhood' is gone from that system.  Your laptop is WinXP and it says your Win98 system is not found (connected).  But, your laptop also connects to the internet just fine.

1.  Are you using a software firewall on the Win98 system?

2.  Are you using a software firewall on the WinXP system?

3.  On the Win98 system, do the following:  Start>>Run>>type 'winipcfg' and click 'Okay'.

Select your 'Network Card' from the drop-down box.

Then click on the 'More infor>>' button.

a.  What's the 'Host Name'?
b.  What's the 'DNS Servers' number?
c.  What's the 'IP Address' number?
d.  What's the 'Subnet Mask' number?
e.  What's the 'Default Gateway' number?
f.  What's the 'DHPC Server' number?
g.  What other boxes have information in them?

The answers to the above questions will set up the next step.

Waiting....

IP Logged

Harold
Radmeister

Rochester, NY

Reply #8 - Jun 14th, 2005 at 11:38pm

NightOwl,

No firewall on Win98 computer

Microsoft firewall (in SP2) on XP laptop

At Network Card > More Info:

Host Name     LAPTOP HOME (names of the laptop & workgroup)
    DNS Server    128.143.2.7
    IP Address      192.168.0.1
    Subnet Mask   255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway  blank
    DHPC Server       blank

Other filled boxes:

Node Type       Broadcast
    NetBIOS Res. Uses DNS  box checked
    Adapter Address  00-0C-41-E7-24-18
    Linksys LNE 100TXI(v5) Fast Ethernet

Harold

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #9 - Jun 15th, 2005 at 1:21am

Harold

What router do you have--name, brand, and model #?

You may not have your home network set up properly.

Do you have any documentation on your router?

IP Logged

Harold
Radmeister

Rochester, NY

Reply #10 - Jun 15th, 2005 at 2:01am

NightOwl,

The router/access point is:

Linksys Wireless G Broadband, Model WRT54GS v1.1

Documentation is on installation dIsk.

Harold

IP Logged

Harold
Radmeister

Rochester, NY

Reply #11 - Jun 15th, 2005 at 2:26am

NightOwl,

1:23 AM here and I'm headed for bed. Back in about 6 hours.

Harold

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #12 - Jun 15th, 2005 at 2:36am

Harold

I want to confirm that the User Guide you have matches what I have down loaded:

Linksys, WRT54G, User Guide, pdf file with 61 pages--last manual page no. is 113--same?

Is that the same as you have on the installation disk?

PDF page 11 has the settings for Win98 and ME, the manual page is 14--same?

IP Logged

Harold
Radmeister

Rochester, NY

Reply #13 - Jun 15th, 2005 at 10:12am

NightOwl,

The Linksys router User Guide on my disk is a PDF file with a total of 106 PDF pages (97 manual pages), including Chapters 1 thru 6 and Appendices A thru J. It has a publication number on PDF page 2 at the lower left: 'WRT54GS - UG - 40908ABW'. There isn't a separate section for Win98 and ME.

Harold

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #14 - Jun 15th, 2005 at 10:40am

Harold

Does this link appear to be your rounter:

http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=35&prid=610

The manual I downloaded from here is:  UG-WRT54G-122402A JL.  Still doesn't say WRT54G
S

How did you set up your network and router for your desktop Win98 system?  Did you follow directions that came with the router, or did you get directions from your ISP provider?

The reason I think the network is set up incorrectly it that above you said the 'winipcfg' program returned the IP address of 192.168.0.1 for your Win98 system--but that address should be the router's LAN (local area network) address.  And your Win98 system should be 192.168.0.
, or 192.168.0.
, or 192.168.0.
, etc.

And the LAN's DNS (dynamic name server) should be the router's address--192.168.0.1

So, I need to know if your ISP (internet service provider) has some custom setup that they require that you followed, or if it's possibly just a mis-configuration of the network.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print