Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Can lost Network Neighbourhood be retrieved? (Read 28864 times)
Harold
Radmeister

Rochester, NY

Re: Can lost Network Neighbourhood be retrieved?
Reply #15 - Jun 15th, 2005 at 12:00pm

NightOwl,

Yes, that link describes and shows the router I have and gives exactly the same model number except it doesn't have the version number at the end (v1.1). I suspect the version number doesn't matter much because it is different on the equipment and in the PDF file.

The 'S' at the end of the model number stands for Speed Enhanced if that helps.

I set up my router after the ISP had installed the cable modem and had made the settings on my Win98 computer that it is wired to. He didn't know I was going to add the router. I followed very simple, heavily illustrated instructions in a file on the installation disk. The instructions appeared on the Win98 computer screen. There were no mishaps or error messages or messages of any kind, only the instructions and something like 'Successfully Completed' at the end. The ISP doesn't even know the router has been added as far as I know.

When I first finished installing the router, the Internet connection wasn't shared with my laptop, and I had to go into the Windows Firewall on the laptop (the Firewall came with SP2) and put in one exception to get the Internet connection working for the laptop. It  is 'UPnP'. Since then, more exceptions have appeared, including 'File and Printer Sharing'.

Harold

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #16 - Jun 15th, 2005 at 3:27pm

Harold

Ok--it sounds like you do not have a 'custom' setup--you have cable...

So, do you have a 'summary' sheet from your cable ISP that shows the necessary data that has to be entered to access your account--you will need that info to set up the router correctly.

When you initially had just the cable modem and the Win98 desktop--you (or the installer) entered the needed access data into the 'Network' settings menus in Win98.  That 'network' software of Win98 then talked through the cable modem to your ISP and the rest of the internet.

When you add the router, you now need to configure the router to do the job that the 'Network' settings and software on the Win98 desktop was doing.  The router will access your ISP in place of your Win98 desktop.  And the router will be the access point that your Win98 desktop and your laptop access to make the jump to your ISP.

So, again, do you have those settings that you need to gain access to your ISP--did you have to enter those into the WinXP laptop so it could access the internet?

Quote:
The ISP doesn't even know the router has been added as far as I know.

You'd be surprised what they know!  But, you can probably set the router up to 'spoof' the MAC address of the original network card on the Win98 desktop that they 'do' know about for sure, and they will not know that other 'network cards' with different MAC addresses are using that internet connection 'behind' the router.

So, you need that 'access' data because we will be deleting it from the Win98 desktop and entering it into the router--

Let me know when your ready...

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Harold
Radmeister

Rochester, NY

Reply #17 - Jun 15th, 2005 at 3:29pm

NightOwl,

In checking network settings just before I repeated the Network Wizard yesterday, I think I may have goofed up the IP addresss for the desktop. I can't get to it right now because my equipment is in the cellar which is being torn up today to fix a water problem. Should be able to get in there this evening around 6 PM EST (US East Coast).

Harold

IP Logged

Harold
Radmeister

Rochester, NY

Reply #18 - Jun 15th, 2005 at 3:41pm

NightOwl,

I don't have a 'summary' sheet from my ISP. I have only a few notes giving my User Name and Password, the names of the mail servers and the ISP's phone number. If you tell me what access data is needed specifically, I'll call my ISP and ask for it.

Harold

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #19 - Jun 15th, 2005 at 6:11pm

Harold

The needed information should already be in your 'Network' settings if you can access the internet via your ISP.  Here is the outline for my NetGear Router of how to get the information from the 'Network' item in Control Panel:

Quote:
Login Protocols

Some ISPs require a special login protocol. In this case, you will need to know what type of protocol is used, and you will need a login name and password.

The two common protocols are:

• PPP over Ethernet (PPPoE)

Two common PPPoE clients are WinPOET and EntreNet.

• RoadRunner

Not all RoadRunner service areas require a login protocol. If your ISP is RoadRunner, you should ask whether your PC must run a RoadRunner login program.

After your network and router are configured, the router will perform the login task when needed, and you will no longer need to login from your PC.

Account Information

Unless these items are dynamically assigned by the ISP
, your ISP should give you the following basic information for your account:

• An IP address and subnet mask

• A gateway IP address, which is the address of the ISP’s router

• One or more domain name server (DNS) IP addresses

• Host name and domain suffix

For example, your account’s full server names may look like this:
mail.xxx.yyy.com

In this example, the domain suffix is xxx.yyy.com.

If any of these items are dynamically supplied by the ISP, your router automatically acquires them.

If an ISP technician configured your PC during the installation of the broadband modem, or if you configured it using instructions provided by your ISP, you need to copy configuration information from your PC’s Network TCP/IP Properties window (or Macintosh TCP/IP Control Panel) before reconfiguring your PC for use with the router. These procedures are described next.

Obtaining ISP Configuration Information (Windows)

As mentioned above, you may need to collect configuration information from your PC so that you can use this information when you configure the Model RP114 router.
Following this procedure is only necessary when your ISP does not dynamically supply the account information.

To get the information you need to configure the router for Internet access:

1. On the Windows taskbar, click the Start button, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.

2. Double-click the Network icon.

The Network window opens, which displays a list of installed components.

3. Select TCP/IP, and then click Properties.
(NightOwl note:  this is the TCP/IP that has your network card listed with it.)

The TCP/IP Properties dialog box opens.

4. Select the IP Address tab.

If an IP address and subnet mask are shown, write down the information. If an address is present, your account uses a fixed (static) IP address. If no address is present, your account uses a dynamically-assigned IP address.
Click “Obtain an IP address automatically”.

5. Select the Gateway tab. 

If an IP address appears under Installed Gateways, write down the address. This is the ISP’s gateway address.
Select the address and then click Remove to remove the gateway address

6. Select the DNS Configuration tab.

If any DNS server addresses are shown, write down the addresses. If any information appears in the Host or Domain information box, write it down.
Click Disable DNS

7. Click OK to save your changes and close the TCP/IP Properties dialog box.

You are returned to the Network window.

8. Click OK.

9. Reboot your PC at the prompt. You may also be prompted to insert your Windows CD.

So, go to the Control Panel applet 'Network', find you TCP/IP that is associated with your network card (NIC), and look at the info in the tabs mentioned above.  Record the settings that you find.

Does your ISP require 'special login procedures'--I suspect not for a cable system.

Is your log in to a static address or is it dynamically assigned--again I suspect dynamiclly assigned for a cable system.

When you installed your router--did you run the 'setup wizard' that's on the router's installation CD mentioned in the user manual?

Report back the results of gathering the information.

(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #20 - Jun 15th, 2005 at 8:34pm

Harold

Note:  in some of the steps outlined for my router above-it says to change some settings in the TCP/IP properties of the 'Network' applet of Control Panel--I have highlited them in yellow (some other items are yellow too). 

Those setting changes will be the changes you need to make if your Win98 'Network' settings are not as mentioned in the outline above, when you are ready to configure your router and LAN (local are network) settings.

IP Logged

Harold
Radmeister

Rochester, NY

Reply #21 - Jun 15th, 2005 at 10:40pm

NightOwl,

My ISP --  Road Runner -- does not require a login protocol.

IP Address, Subnet Mask, Gateway IP Address, Host Name and Domain Suffix are all dynamically assigned by the ISP.

In Control Panel > Network > TCP/IP > Properties > IP Address tab, there was an IP Address = 192.168.0.1 and a Subnet Mask = 255.255.255.0. I clicked "Obtain an IP address automatically" and those items grayed out.

On the Gateway tab there were three addresses:
On this same tab Host = "LAPTOP" and Domain = "HOME"
I clicked "Disable DNS". 
Okayed out of TCP/IP and Network and rebooted.

When I installed my router, I ran the Setup Wizard on the Installation CD that came with the router. It's a very simple thing that mostly illustrates how to connect things and does all the settings behind the scenes.

Harold

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #22 - Jun 16th, 2005 at 12:00am

Harold

Quoting from the downloaded manual for your router:

Quote:
To access the Web-based Utility, launch Internet Explorer or Netscape Navigator, and enter the Router’s default IP address, 192.168.1.1, in the Address field. Then, press Enter.

A password request page will appear. (Non-Windows XP users will see a similar screen.) Leave the User Name field blank. The first time you open the Web-based Utility, use the default password admin. (You can set a new password from the Administration tab’s Management screen.) Click the OK button to continue.

You should follow the above instructions and open the router's settings utility.

On the 'Basic Setup' page, you should have these settings:

Internet Setup:  Automatic Configuration - DHCP
Network Setup:  Router IP Address:  192.168.1.1

DHCP Server:  Enabled
Starting Address:  192.168.1.100

(Your Win98 setting was static at 192.168.0.1--I think this may be the reason you couldn't inter-connect with the router and the other laptop!)

Save your setting.

The next tab to check it the 'MAC Address Clone':

Because your cable ISP set things up when you had just the Win98 desktop, the MAC address is the address of the network card on the Win98 desktop.  You found that earlier when you ran the 'winipcfg' program:  Adapter Address  00-0C-41-E7-24-18. 

So if you want the router to send out the original net card MAC address to your ISP--that's the number you should plug in here.

Save your settings.

The above are the critical items--there are a lot of other 'Advanced' settings that can be made and adjusted, but not for now...

Go to the 'Status' tab, and record the information there for your 'Router' and 'Local Network'.

Exit the router utility.  Shut down the Win98 system.  Unplug or turn off the router.  Unplug or turn off the cable modem.

Restart the cable modem after a couple minutes.  After it's done doing its start up tests, restart the router.  After it's done doing its start up tests, restart the computer.

Run 'winipcfg' again and see what you get.

For your WinXP laptop--you probably need to delete the old network settings and run the network wizard to establish a new network connection.

In theory, you should be able to follow normal instructions to set up sharing between the two computers at this point for files and printers.

IP Logged

Harold
Radmeister

Rochester, NY

Reply #23 - Jun 16th, 2005 at 8:46am

NightOwl,

I went to the router's settings data on the Web and they were all as you had stated them in your last message with the exception of the MAC address, which has a 'B' instead of an '8' for the final character. I wonder if I misread it and gave it to you incorrectly or entered it incorrectly somewhere. I don't know if I should change it.

After going thru the above steps, the Status tab reads as follows:

Firmware Version: v3.37.1, Oct. 18, 2004    
     Current Time: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 07:22:01    
     MAC Address: 00:0C:41:E7:24:1B    
     Router Name: WRT54GS      
     Host Name: desktop      
     Domain Name: rochester.rr.com      
Internet

Configuration Type
    Login Type: Automatic Configuration - DHCP    
     IP Address: 66.66.183.172    
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.254.0    
    Default Gateway: 66.66.182.1    
     DNS 1: 24.92.226.9    
     DNS 2:      
     DNS 3:      
     MTU: 1400

I am now going to shut down the Win 98 PC, router and modem and then restart them in the order you described in your last message.

Then I will run Network Wizard on my laptop.

Then I will make other settings needed for file and printer sharing. (Not sure I know all that's required.)

I'll report back on how it goes.

Harold

PS Should I change the MAC address before proceeding?

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #24 - Jun 16th, 2005 at 10:34am

Harold

Re-run the 'winipcfg' on the Win98 desktop system--check what the 'Adapter Address' says--that's the MAC address of your network card on that system.

Your IPS probably is not using that for access--but they probably use it to monitor how many different network cards are using their system--they have the original MAC number from when they installed the cable modem, and now that MAC number (if it's different) that the router is 'cloning' and sending out when it talks to the ISP.

So, should you change it--probably not necessary at this point.

IP Logged

Harold
Radmeister

Rochester, NY

Reply #25 - Jun 16th, 2005 at 8:33pm

NightOwl,

After going through the procedure you sent, I shut down and restarted the Win 98 PC, the modem and the router, then ran winipcfg and looked at IP Configuration data, which were as follows:

Linksys LNE 100TX(v5) Fast Ethernet
Adapter Address     00-0C-41-E7-24-1B
IP Address         192.168.1.101
Subnet Mask      255.255.255.0
Default Gateway    192.168.1.1

More Info:

Host Name  DESKTOP.rochester.rr.comDEST
DNS Server  24.92.226.9
Node Type   Broadcast
DHCP Server  192.168.1.1

I then went through Network Wizard on the XP laptop and still saw the "Network cable disconnected" message, ignored it and went to completion.

I'm not sure what to do next to see if the sharing situation has changed. I think I will try to print from a file in the laptop to the printer wired to the desktop and see what happens.

Harold

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #26 - Jun 16th, 2005 at 8:53pm

Harold

Looks like the router is now assigning the IP address for the Win98 desktop's network card.

For printing with a shared network printer, you need to make sure the Win98 'Network' applet in Control Panel says 'File and Printer' sharing is enabled.

Then on the WinXP laptop that's hooked up to the router, go to the 'Printers' applet in Control Panel and use the 'Add a printer' wizard.  You will want to select 'a network' printer and then 'browse' to the 'Desktop' system and it's shared printer.

Report back with results...

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #27 - Jun 17th, 2005 at 12:54am

Harold

We should also check the WinXP laptop network summary:

Start>>Run>>type 'cmd' and click OK

At the command prompt, type 'ipconfig/all'

Summary results?

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #28 - Jun 17th, 2005 at 3:18am

Harold

Just so you know--I'm out of town for a few days--so, I'm not ignoring you--I'm just not here!

IP Logged

Harold
Radmeister

Rochester, NY

Reply #29 - Jun 17th, 2005 at 7:27am

NightOwl,

Here is the Win XP laptop network summary (Run > cmd
> ipconfig/all). Not sure what it all means but I'll study it while you're away. --

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Harold Pohl>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : LAPTOP
       Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
       Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
       IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : rochester.rr.com

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : rochester.rr.com