Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Can lost Network Neighbourhood be retrieved? (Read 28857 times)
Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Can lost Network Neighbourhood be retrieved?
Reply #45 - Jun 28th, 2005 at 4:44am

NightOwl, some recent posts raise questions. When Harold succeeds in creating a Ghost 2003 image of his desktop computer on his laptop  will he be able to burn that image to DVD and then use that DVD (DVD's) to restore his desktop in the event of a HD failure?

I'm referring to your posts about "Ghosting to a Remote Burner" and "Won't restore from Nero copy CD".

PS I'm starting to understand what you mean by the two floppy boot set.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: Can lost Network Neighbourhood be retrieved?
Reply #46 - Jun 28th, 2005 at 9:07pm

Brian

Quote:
will he be able to burn that image to DVD

Should be able to with any burning program that is not the 'drag-n-drop' type like InCD or Roxio's 'Drag to Disc' type programs.

Quote:
and then use that DVD (DVD's) to restore his desktop in the event of a HD failure?

The 'Standard Ghost Boot Disk' that the Ghost Boot Disk Wizard creates for Ghost 2003 floppies will not work if the images were first created and save to the HHD, and then later burned to a CD or DVD.  Ghost must add some imbedded code to an image file that is burned directly by Ghost to optical media that allows Ghost to use the Standard Boot Disk.

If the image file was not burned directly by Ghost to the optical media, then you have to add a DOS driver to 'config.sys' that mounts your optical drive (ex.  'oakcdrom.sys'--there are many others)--and there has to be the DOS companion driver 'mscdex.exe' in 'autoexec.bat' that assigns a drive letter to the mounted optical drives.  Now Ghost will read those files just fine even if burned to the optical media by a third party burning program.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print